Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: [RUMOR]: Al Jefferson to Spurs?

Quote Originally Posted by TMT
    What people don't realize is the San Antonio offense would need to be altered quite a bit to implement Al Jeff who is a back to the basket, take up most the shot clock and work for his shot type of guy. Our running offense will have to halt, which is going to mean less offensive possessions and a slower paced game. Splitter is predominantly a pick and roll big which is a perfect fit for our current offensive scheme, plus he's already publicly stated he wants to re-sign. If I want any big from Utah, it's Favors.

Spurs are tied for first in the league in PPG, plus have the highest offensive efficiency rating. Why fix something that isn't broken?

I don't agree with this. Offensively, there shouldn't be any problem. The offense is not going thru Jefferson. As good as he is, he'd be the 4th option on the team. It would slow down when the ball go to him, but the offense wouldn't go thru him, nor would he be the 1st option.

As far as fixing what's not broken...I just don't get that. If he could make you better, then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    I don't agree with this. Offensively, there shouldn't be any problem. The offense is not going thru Jefferson. As good as he is, he'd be the 4th option on the team. It would slow down when the ball go to him, but the offense wouldn't go thru him, nor would he be the 1st option.

As far as fixing what's not broken...I just don't get that. If he could make you better, then why not?
    Essentially to get the best out of AJ, you need to post him up a lot and give him time to operate. This is going to require him getting the ball on the low block quite a bit. I'm not saying you run the offense through him, but that's the kind of player he is and you can't just change that. He doesn't run the floor much like Splitter is fond of doing, which is a phenomenal attribute for a center in a fastbreak offense. I just think there are certain things that would have to adjust specifically on the offensive end (which we have a great system that is working with the way the squad we currently have; why I brought up first in PPG and efficiency) just to benefit AJ and get the most out of him being on the floor.

Not to mention if we are going to trade for a big, it should be a difference maker in the paint defensively. Al Jeff isn't quick moving his feet and doesn't exactly impose a great shotblocking threat in the middle.

What I meant by my previous post is, why make a drastic change to a team that in number 1 in the league in offense? If anything it's the other side of the court that we should be focusing on.

Plus a little tid bit: the last time we traded for a Jefferson it didn't workout so well...

Essentially to get the best out of AJ, you need to post him up a lot and give him time to operate. This is going to require him getting the ball on the low block quite a bit. I'm not saying you run the offense through him, but that's the kind of player he is and you can't just change that. He doesn't run the floor much like Splitter is fond of doing, which is a phenomenal attribute for a center in a fastbreak offense. I just think there are certain things that would have to adjust specifically on the offensive end (which we have a great system that is working with the way the squad we currently have; why I brought up first in PPG and efficiency) just to benefit AJ and get the most out of him being on the floor.

Not to mention if we are going to trade for a big, it should be a difference maker in the paint defensively. Al Jeff isn't quick moving his feet and doesn't exactly impose a great shotblocking threat in the middle.

What I meant by my previous post is, why make a drastic change to a team that in number 1 in the league in offense? If anything it's the other side of the court that we should be focusing on.

Plus a little tid bit: the last time we traded for a Jefferson it didn't workout so well...

Well, Richard Jefferson is pretty good reason never to do anything lol. But, I see what you're saying. I think he could have more impact when it really counts, because he's good enough. Also, he's a great rebounder.

But I'd agree on the defense. Besides, Ginobili has quietly come along (tho not 6MOTY like Aldridge is stupid enough to claim).

I think I'd definitely get a backup PG. I'd still love to see Ginobili in the starting lineup, because he'd be better there. Getting TJ Ford was a huge deal last year. He gave you a playmaker off the bench, so that Manu didn't need to. But, in general, you could use a true backup PG. Mills is a scorer and Neal is just nowhere near a PG.

Well, Richard Jefferson is pretty good reason never to do anything lol. But, I see what you're saying. I think he could have more impact when it really counts, because he's good enough. Also, he's a great rebounder.

But I'd agree on the defense. Besides, Ginobili has quietly come along (tho not 6MOTY like Aldridge is stupid enough to claim).

I think I'd definitely get a backup PG. I'd still love to see Ginobili in the starting lineup, because he'd be better there. Getting TJ Ford was a huge deal last year. He gave you a playmaker off the bench, so that Manu didn't need to. But, in general, you could use a true backup PG. Mills is a scorer and Neal is just nowhere near a PG.
    Worst years of the Duncan era were when RJ was here, IMO.

Manu has been too unhealthy to be 6MOTY. We just want to get him to the playoffs, as with Duncan. Danny Green and Leonard have proven they can step up and fill the void when he isn't available, so that's a good thing. Green hit 8 threes last night with no Manu or Duncan in the lineup.

We have a flurry of PGs, the problem is all of them have good attributes the others don't. Mills is quick, bad court vision for the most part, a solid scorer but not a great shooter, also a streaky defender. Neal is basically a 2 guard in a point guards body, has the ability to stroke it from anywhere on the floor but gets carried away a lot, also has trouble running an offense and is a defensive liability. De Colo is a true point guard, great passer and is attentive but he lacks a consistent jump shot and is a step slow at times. Corey Joseph I haven't seen enough of to say he is better than either of these three, but he sure lights up the D-League when he gets the opportunity.

Our best bet in the playoffs is to have Manu run the point off the bench, essentially backing up TP. This allows Neal to also come off the bench playing the two where he is more comfortable. De Colo can get minutes running the offense, but because he lacks a consistent shot he is hard to play with Manu because when he doesn't have the ball he doesn't offer much. Patty Mills gets spot minutes when the matchups are right, and has actually seen a lot of time along side Tony Parker this season.

I think we are fine in terms of our personnel running the offense. But if the Spurs are going to make any trade it should be for a big man who can protect the paint. Unfortunately there aren't too many options out there that we could acquire to fill our needs, and I think the Spurs FO knows this and plans to ride it out with Splitter as our best bet. He's really come into his own this season and loves playing with these guys. He's had 2 and a half years of experience in the system and great chemistry and timing with the main guys. It would, in a sense, throw our chemistry off by shipping him out of town for another big who we can't guarantee will play better than he currently is.

Very good NBA starter

Yeah, this is the truth. Offensively, it would be a huge adjustment adding Jefferson, who would be the best offensive big man Duncan has played with since Robinson. Al Jeff the past 3 seasons averaged 15-17 field goal attempts a game, he's nearing the end of his prime, and no way would he be a 4th option offensively in a contract-year. The offense between Duncan, Splitter, and Parker has been symbiotic albeit it's probably not enough to win a championship. The thing is, who knows if Al Jeff is a difference maker (I don't see it personally). It would make no sense to not feature him in the offense, yet I agree he's not incredible defensively. All in all, there's probably better options. Even if one of those options is standing pat (because we have decent young talent and our offense is thriving). As for back up PG, De Colo and Joseph are sufficient but young. We're swimming in guards right now and it's not our biggest problem considering Parker's minutes increase in the PO's. We get a ton of assists from our bench and it's not all Manu.

Decent college freshman

Worst years of the Duncan era were when RJ was here, IMO.

Manu has been too unhealthy to be 6MOTY. We just want to get him to the playoffs, as with Duncan. Danny Green and Leonard have proven they can step up and fill the void when he isn't available, so that's a good thing. Green hit 8 threes last night with no Manu or Duncan in the lineup.

We have a flurry of PGs, the problem is all of them have good attributes the others don't. Mills is quick, bad court vision for the most part, a solid scorer but not a great shooter, also a streaky defender. Neal is basically a 2 guard in a point guards body, has the ability to stroke it from anywhere on the floor but gets carried away a lot, also has trouble running an offense and is a defensive liability. De Colo is a true point guard, great passer and is attentive but he lacks a consistent jump shot and is a step slow at times. Corey Joseph I haven't seen enough of to say he is better than either of these three, but he sure lights up the D-League when he gets the opportunity.

Our best bet in the playoffs is to have Manu run the point off the bench, essentially backing up TP. This allows Neal to also come off the bench playing the two where he is more comfortable. De Colo can get minutes running the offense, but because he lacks a consistent shot he is hard to play with Manu because when he doesn't have the ball he doesn't offer much. Patty Mills gets spot minutes when the matchups are right, and has actually seen a lot of time along side Tony Parker this season.

I think we are fine in terms of our personnel running the offense. But if the Spurs are going to make any trade it should be for a big man who can protect the paint. Unfortunately there aren't too many options out there that we could acquire to fill our needs, and I think the Spurs FO knows this and plans to ride it out with Splitter as our best bet. He's really come into his own this season and loves playing with these guys. He's had 2 and a half years of experience in the system and great chemistry and timing with the main guys. It would, in a sense, throw our chemistry off by shipping him out of town for another big who we can't guarantee will play better than he currently is.
    Spurs don't need a defensive big atm. Just checked the stats and their DRating is 2nd in the league right behind Indiana. Pretty impressive. Offense is ranked 5th in the league. Also solid, but I think they need another creative wing player. Point guards are the easiest players to stop in the post-season and some team will exploit this fact and make it difficult for Parker to run the offense. If they had someone like '05 Ginobili to step up and carry some of the load, they'd be fine. Biggest concern for SA, is that Manu looks washed up this year. Getting someone like Pierce would be huge but I don't think SA has the pieces to do it.
    Last edited by Artillery; 02-08-2013 at 03:00 AM.

If they can acquire him without giving up much, they'd be prohibitive title favorites (I'd take the field over them though).

Al Jefferson is perfect for the Spurs. I love him, but he's as simple as his stats. He gives you what his numbers say, for the most part. The Spurs could actually use what he brings tho. He'd be a great POWER FORWARD to play next to the CENTER, Tim Duncan.

Jefferson is a PF, period. That's where he's best. Tim Duncan is -at least now- a center, period. Make Al your defensive guy in the paint and see how it works for you.

And it's great because Jefferson will play PF and Duncan will continue to pay C and people can pretend it's the other way around, for whatever reason.
    That's funny- and true

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    Spurs don't need a defensive big atm. Just checked the stats and their DRating is 2nd in the league right behind Indiana. Pretty impressive. Offense is ranked 5th in the league. Also solid, but I think they need another creative wing player. Point guards are the easiest players to stop in the post-season and some team will exploit this fact and make it difficult for Parker to run the offense. If they had someone like '05 Ginobili to step up and carry some of the load, they'd be fine. Biggest concern for SA, is that Manu looks washed up this year. Getting someone like Pierce would be huge but I don't think SA has the pieces to do it.
    Completely agree. Though I think Boston's request would gut our PG position given Rondo's injury. And they may be enticed by Manu's fairly large expiring contract. But it seems like a big risk and big trade, but I like it more than trading for Jefferson. Manu hasn't look washed up, he's actually had some very strong and impactful games, he's just getting old, injuries linger around him, and he basically plays basketball year round. Considering he's going to be 36 soon, his game hasn't been that bad (he's still very clutch, which doesn't show up in the stat sheet always). None the less, if the Spurs had somebody in the mold of Pierce/Iguodala/Granger/Gay/etc, they'd be serious contenders.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    None the less, if the Spurs had somebody in the mold of Pierce/Iguodala/Granger/Gay/etc, they'd be serious contenders.
    Agree but Denver won't move Igoudala. Indiana is content with Granger(I think). And Gay is overpriced/overrated. That leaves Pierce but I don't thinks Celts will trade him now that they're winning. I like his game though.

Al Jefferson is perfect for the Spurs. I love him, but he's as simple as his stats. He gives you what his numbers say, for the most part. The Spurs could actually use what he brings tho. He'd be a great POWER FORWARD to play next to the CENTER, Tim Duncan.

Jefferson is a PF, period. That's where he's best. Tim Duncan is -at least now- a center, period. Make Al your defensive guy in the paint and see how it works for you.

And it's great because Jefferson will play PF and Duncan will continue to pay C and people can pretend it's the other way around, for whatever reason.
    umm duncan is playing pf next to splitter

Boston would probably want a Kawhi+Green+PG package atleast for Pierce. Not something I'm willing to give up. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by solar.hands
    umm duncan is playing pf next to splitter

Sure he is.

But if the Spurs are going to make any trade it should be for a big man who can protect the paint.

Here I really disagree. That's what Duncan does. He's blocking shots at a higher rate than at any other time in his career. Even in his prime, at PF, he was a post defender and paint protector. They were the Twin Towers and not just cuz of height. But now, Duncan lives there.

Splitter is very good and, as he's Brazilian, I want him to start and do well. But if the Spurs are going to trade then it's for someone who can come out a little and guard the pick n' roll. Splitter is a hybrid PF/C...but there isn't one of those on the bench. Blair is a straight PF and Diaw is just fat. Whether Splitter is starting or off the bench, I think the Spurs would be better suited having a second big man (tho you guys signed someone recently). And for those reasons, I think it couldn't hurt to have an active PF.

Boston would probably want a Kawhi+Green+PG package atleast for Pierce. Not something I'm willing to give up. Not going to happen.
    I would do that in a heartbeat. Spurs have a short window, Pierce too. You can't build around Kawhi and Green.

Very good NBA starter

Splitter is very good and, as he's Brazilian, I want him to start and do well. But if the Spurs are going to trade then it's for someone who can come out a little and guard the pick n' roll. Splitter is a hybrid PF/C...but there isn't one of those on the bench. Blair is a straight PF and Diaw is just fat. Whether Splitter is starting or off the bench, I think the Spurs would be better suited having a second big man (tho you guys signed someone recently). And for those reasons, I think it couldn't hurt to have an active PF.
    They signed a Center - Aron Baynes. Dude is huge, active, and can clog the paint. Great signing, Spurs always find diamonds in the rough.

And Blair being a PF is work in progress since he's been in the league. He's too short to play center in the NBA but that's his natural position (was a collegiate center, has some of the best post moves in the league). The Spurs have tried to help him with his jump shot so he can transition to PF, because it sucks pretty bad. He's pretty much scores in the paint and that's it. But he'll need to diversify for a long NBA career.

Diaw is one of the best passers at his position and has thrived on the Spurs, the most he's thrived individually probably since his PHX days (not necessarily gaudy stats, but great team basketball).