Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Default Re: Updated Consensus Mock Draft Picks

Going to try to reply to the past few posts here, bare with me if my thoughts get jumbled.

- Jeff's mock draft is terrible, in my opinion. Sorry, Jeff.
    - With the exception of Jordan Clarkson, all of those guys working out for the Raptors should be available at #37, possibly even #59. Clarkson may be a first rounder, though.
    - If Stauskas is available at #20, you draft him and flee the scene ASAP so as to not get arrested.
    - I'd love to see the Raptors trade their way into a top10 pick, but it will likely cost #20, one of the second rounders, and a roster player (if its just an expiring contract, do it).
    - Would like it if Ennis fell to #20, but if Elfrid Payton is also there, I take Payton 10 times out of 10.

It sounds like this is going to be a really ridiculous draft. Lots of movement near the top. Some of those top7 teams are looking to trade down for either proven talent or multiple later picks. I really hope Masai continues to be aggressive and finds away to get a home run of a pick.

Jacked this from the main board (ESPN Insider Request):

Local High School Star

Workouts:

Following Tuesday's auditions, a pair of combo guards, Jordan Clarkson and Nick Johnson - also expected to go in the second round - echoed a similar sentiment. Versatility will also be a valuable commodity when the Raptors make their first-round selection at pick no. 20. UCLA's Kyle Anderson is a point guard in a 6-foot-9 body, athletic Clemson product K.J. McDaniels can defend multiple positions, while NC State's T.J. Warren projects as a versatile and unconventional scorer. [COLOR="Red"]All three wing players are expected to workout in Toronto later this week.[/COLOR]

Local High School Star

Mock Draft

* source TSN.ca

Sorry too hard to format the entire 15 -20 range other than to say the predictions are in line with others.

Tyler goes before Toronto picks
    Warren also gone
    McDaniels hovers just below our pick
    Levine and other same names in the mix

20. Toronto Raptors

Will Strickland
    Duane Watson

PG Kyle Anderson, UCLA

SF Cleanthony Early, Wichita State

Strickland: Masai Ujiri will seek insurance against losing one of his PG leaders in Kyle Lowry or Greveis Vasquez. Anderson may be the answer.

Watson: Early is strong, athletic and a great scorer, but will have to work on extending his range. A top player on an often-underrated team, his underdog mentality will fit right in with the Raptors.

Local High School Star

Mock Draft

*updated consensus source mynbadraft

In a nod to Chamberlain.. Clint comes to Toronto.

Perhaps the "ch-man" is now a sports expert author

15 Hawks
    James Young
    Ht/Wt: 6' 7"/200 lbs
    Position: SF
    Team: Kentucky
    Class: Freshman

16 *Bulls
    Tyler Ennis
    Ht/Wt: 6' 2"/180 lbs
    Position: PG
    Team: Syracuse
    Class: Freshman

17 *Celtics
    Rodney Hood
    Ht/Wt: 6' 8"/204 lbs
    Position: SG/SF
    Team: Duke
    Class: Sophomore

18 *Suns
    TJ Warren
    Ht/Wt: 6' 8"/233 lbs
    Team: NC State

19 Bulls
    Adreian Payne
    Ht/Wt: 6'10"/225 lbs
    Position: PF
    Team: Michigan St.
    Class: Junior

[COLOR="Red"]20 Raptors
    Clint Capela
    Ht/Wt: 6' 11"/210 lbs
    Position: PF
    Team: Switzerland
    Class: International[/COLOR]

21 *Thunder
    Kyle Anderson
    Ht/Wt: 6' 9"/235 lbs
    Position: SF/PF
    Team: UCLA

22 Grizz
    Jerami Grant
    Ht/Wt: 6' 8"/203 lbs
    Team: Syracuse

23 * Jazz
    KJ McDaniels
    Ht/Wt: 6' 6"/200 lbs
    Team: Clemson
    Class: Junior

24 *Hornets
    Jordan Adams
    Ht/Wt: 6' 5"/220 lbs
    Position: SG
    Team: UCLA

25 Rockets
    Cleanthony Early
    Ht/Wt: 6' 8"/215 lbs
    Team: Wichita St.
    Class: Senior

I think I'd be okay with the Raptors taking Clint Capella but I also don't think it will happen. After the success the team experienced this year, I think Masai is going to try and draft a player who can contribute right away. Capella, at best, is a few years from making an impact, and maybe even a year or two away from making the jump to the NBA. I think he has a bright future, but not anytime soon.

This is going to be an interesting draft for the Raptors. They have point guard depth, wing depth (though an improvement would be great) and a good rotation of bigs. It seems to me like they might just take the best/most versatile player available, which is never a bad strategy when picking outside of the lottery.

Local High School Star

Workouts:

- more Capela news

Josh Lewenberg: Working out for the Raptors today: C Clint Capela, C Artem Klimenko, F LaQuinton Ross, F Jamil Wilson, G Markel Brown, G Markel Starks Twitter @JLew1050

Local High School Star

Still no updated Mock Draft from InsideHoops.com

At least not one with picks predicted in the 15-30 range.

Umm guys the draft is 15 days away.

Chamberlain Mock Draft Version 1.0

1. Cleveland Cavaliers

Joel Embiid
    - As long as is back checks out, and all reports indicate that it has, he should be number one. Long, strong, athletic and only still learning the game. Embiid could be a top 3 center within 2-3 years.

2. Milwaukee Bucks

Jabari Parker
    - Personally I think Wiggins will be the superior player, but I've always felt (and am hearing reports) that the Bucks prefer Parker. He'll be an offensive force for many years and he fills a position of great need.

3. Philadelphia 76ers

Andrew Wiggins
    - No brainer, could be 1, 2, or 3. The most upside of anyone in the draft save for maybe Embiid, will impact games defensively and on the run almost immediately. Big time star potential.

4. Orlando Magic

Dante Exum
    - The big unknown, but apparently they love him in Orlando. Big combo guard who is still learning to play like a true PG, a boat load of potential but also a pretty big risk.

5. Utah Jazz

Marcus Smart
    - I could see him as a big, strong, powerful combo guard in Utah, either replacing Trey Burke or playing beside him. I don't know how well that mix would work but Smart seems like a Jazz type of player and its hard to see too many teams passing on him.

6. Boston Celtics

Noah Vonleh
    - I could see this kid turning into a LaMarcus Aldridge type player. He's tall, long, strong, and athletic. Very good rebounder, decent mid range game that has been improving and some pretty nice post moves. This pick is rumoured to be in play in a Kevin Love deal, but assuming to trade is made, Vonleh should be their guy.

7. Los Angeles Lakers

Julius Randle
    - The Lakers will want somebody who they think can contribute right away, and with no depth anywhere at their roster, they take the player who is physically most ready to play and won't need to compete with Kobe for shots.

8. Sacramento Kings

Doug McDermott
    - The best scorer in the draft, hands down. Questions will arise about his athletic ability but he is big and strong and knows how to get open. Might be a nightmare defensively, but the Kings have a pretty formidable tandem in the paint to cover for him.

9. Charlotte Bobca...Hornets

Nik Stauskas
    - Best shooter in the draft. They've got a blossoming point guard, a decent low post combo, and a great athlete/defender on the wing. The missing piece to this puzzle is a shooter who can also create his own shots. Stauskas is athletic, can get to the rim, and of can hit the 3 at a very high clip.

10. Philadelphia 76ers

Aaron Gordon
    - The most athletic player in this draft aside from Wiggins. Could be a defensive force in the future and a guy who can net you a lot of hustle points. Having a future lineup in Philly consisting of Noel/Gordon/Wiggins/??/MCW, could be the scariest defensive and running team in the league.

11. Denver Nuggets

Gary Harris
    - Denver seems to always make an unsexy, safe pick. I'm not big on Harris, but he's a good shooter, good defender, and he's still young.

12. Orlando Magic

Rodney Hood
    - Deceptively quick and athletic, a good perimeter threat and has the ability to add some offensive punch to this lineup. Having Exum and Hood on your wing for the future is a great starting point.

13. Minnesota Timberwolves

Dario Saric -
    I have visions of Love being moved, and Rubio and Saric being the starting point of the new era San Antonio Spurs. Not in terms of dominance and longevity, but in the way the game is played with beautiful ball movement and efficient offensive possessions.

14. Phoenix Suns

Zach Lavine
    - Crazy athlete, still learning the game and honing his skills. Phoenix is in a very good position to make the playoffs next year, and while adding somebody who can contribute right away would be great, they have two other picks to draft somebody with a lower ceiling or a proven roster player.

15. Atlanta Hawks

James Young
    - Super athletic kind of do-it-all kind of guy. Stepped up huge in the NCAA tournament, really making a name for himself. His athleticism is obvious, but you could see growth in his all around game throughout the year. Still a project, but could end up being a steal at #15.

16. Chicago Bulls

Adreian Payne
    - An NBA ready player. Will likely be nothing more than a glue guy, but if Derrick Rose is healthy, a stretch 4 who can rebound, pick and pop, and play defense, it would be a great fit.

17. Boston Celtics

TJ Warren
    - If there is a Rondo trade, the Celtics will take Payton here, but assuming there are no moves, and the Celtics taking a PF with their earlier pick, they fill another hole; wing scoring/depth. TJ Warren is a guy who just knows how to score, and he's no slouch on defense either. Could be a potential starter very early in his career.

18. Phoenix Suns

Jusuf Nurkic
    - Massive center, a player Phoenix desperately needs after trading away Marcin Gortat for peanuts. It will take him a few years to adjust and be NBA ready, but they have a young core and can wait a few years for him to make an impact.

19. Chicago Bulls

Elfrid Payton
    - Very tough, defensive minded PG who can get to the rim. Is a pretty good playmaker, though his shooting mechanics need a lot of work. Would be great in a role backing up Derrick Rose, and even sharing a back court with him at times. They have the potential to be lethal together.

20. Toronto Raptors

Tyler Ennis
    - With Lowry's future in question, Toronto should try to play it safe and grab some PG depth so they don't leave themselves with a NBDL player in their starting backcourt. Ennis is a true point guard, thinks the game at a high level, but is a subpar athlete. I can see him being great in half court settings, an area where the Raptors need to improve.

21. Oklahoma City Thunder

Kristaps Porzingis
    - Tall, long and athletic. Needs to bulk up but has very good fundamentals on each side of the floor. Rumour has it that OKC have a promise with him to take him in the first round. They'd better do it at #21 rather than #29 because he will not fall that far.

22. Memphis Grizzlies

Clint Capella
    - Very long and athletic big man. Very raw at this point but you can see flashes of brilliance in his game. Memphis has decent depth at all positions, but with Zach Randolph getting older and less mobile, the Grizzlies could use a young player to boost some energy into the lineup.

23. Utah Jazz

Jerami Grant
    - Fantastic athlete and two way player. Limited star potential, but he's a case of low risk/medium reward. Should be a serviceable rotation player for many years. The Jazz are lacking skill at the SF position, and this fills a need.

24. Charlotte Horncats

KJ McDaniels
    - An athletic defender, similar to MKG. Both have the ability to get to the rim and play tough perimeter defense. I can see a dangerous lineup with both KJ/MKG on the wings with Jefferson or Biyombo down low.

25. Houston Rockets

Kyle Anderson
    - Has the skill to go much, much higher, but his lack of athleticism and perceived poor work ethic will make him drop. Houston is loaded with athletes, and while they have talented point guards, they are not traditional play makers. Anderson fills the void of having someone who is always thinking to make the play for other players.

26. Miami Heat

Shabazz Napier
    - Miami's PG situation in the playoffs has been a nightmare. Chalmers can't stay on the court or keep up with an injured Tony Parker, and while Norris Cole is playing well, he's pretty one dimensional. Napier gives them a kid with fire and a winning pedigree who doesn't shy away from the big moments. His toughness is needed on a team who has sky high expectations every single year.

27. Phoenix Suns

Damien Inglis
    - The first real sleeper pick for me in this draft. Incredible athleticism and defensive talent. Very raw offensively but has some good natural instincts. I could see the Suns potentially drafting him and keeping him overseas for a year or two to continue his development.

28. Los Angeles Clippers

Jordan Clarkson
    - A do-it-all combo guard. Their guard depth was tested in the playoffs this year, and a Clarkson type player who can come in for CP3 and keep things steady is sorely needed.

29. Oklahoma City Thunder

Bogdan Bogdanovich
    - Could go much higher based on his potential to stay overseas and develop, but Bogdanovich is a good all around player who doesn't really have many weaknesses. He's a big game player and should be an effective part of any NBA bench.

30. San Antonio Spurs

Jarnell Stokes
    - Stokes will have a Leonard-like impact in terms of boosting the teams youth and energy levels. He's a skilled rebounder, shot blocker and defender. Not a really polished low post game, but is incredibly strong and bullies his way into the paint. Under the tutelage of Duncan and Diaw, he could grow into a decent starter someday.

Second Round notables

#37 Toronto Raptors - Cleanthony Early
    #41 Denver Nuggets - Dwight Powell
    #43 Atlanta Hawks - Khem Birch
    #44 Minnesota Timberwolves - PJ Hairston
    #58 San Antonio Spurs - Melvin Ejim
    #59 Toronto Raptors - Jordan Bachynski

Questions and comments encouraged.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Questions and comments encouraged.
    Wow

I dont think Ennis gets past Boston and Chicago who both need a "steady hand" for quality minutes behind Rajon and Rose. Its possible some PG rich team (Cavaliers / Kings ) trade down and Ennis slips - but neither Chicago or Boston have the pieces to pry away those high picks. You have Payton > Ennis by one spot ... maybe... not sure.... but Jame Young and Nurik are the two guys lower than you predict that move Payton and Ennis up.

I dont think Cleanthony is around that late... but if you substitute GRIII I think you may be correct.
    Last edited by Jballer; 06-13-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    Wow

I dont think Ennis gets past Boston and Chicago who both need a "steady hand" for quality minutes behind Rajon and Rose. Its possible some PG rich team (Cavaliers / Kings ) trade down and Ennis slips - but neither Chicago or Boston have the pieces to pry away those high picks. You have Payton > Ennis by one spot ... maybe... not sure.... but Jame Young and Nurik are the two guys lower than you predict that move Payton and Ennis up.

I dont think Cleanthony is around that late... but if you substitute GRIII I think you may be correct.
    Thanks for the feedback, Jballer.

Ennis may go much higher, but as is the case in every draft, a good player or two always slips. With Boston, I feel everything depends on the Love speculation. If they don't get him, they may trade Rondo, which would mean they probably try to get a PG at #6 if he's available (Smart or Exum), or pick one up at #17 (Ennis or Payton). Personally, I feel Payton is better suited to play in the NBA, but I can understand why someone else would have their values reversed. If everything stays "as is", Boston picks a SF at #17 if they can, and leave Phil Pressey as the backup PG for now. Chicago picked up DJ Augustine after the Raptors let him go and he's been great in their system, I don't see them taking a PG.

Are you saying that James Young and Nurkic will be picked sooner? Or later?

As for Early, I feel like the hype that was created around him during the season and tournament have kind of leveled off. He's a pure tweener, lacking strength to play in the post and ball skills to play on the perimeter. I think people are starting to see that his potential is quite limited. I think best case scenario for Early is that he is an energy type bench player who can give you an advantage if you're playing small ball. I think he slips to the 2nd round on draft night.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

My draft board looks like this. Fifty fifty chance that Payton or Ennis falls to us at 20. Early and Mcdaniels will most surely be there for us. Capella and Porzingas will both probably be there for us. Maybe only one.

My big board would be Ennis, Payton, Capella, Porzingas, Mcdaniels, Early.

If we don't draft a wing expect Ujiri to bring in a free-agent wing defender.
    If we draft a point guard, de colo will be gone.
    If we draft a post player Hansbrough will be gone.
    I feel like Fields should get a shot at playing regular bench minutes, mostly with ross on the floor.
    Great guard play is so crucial. i don't think the raps will let either payton or Ennis go undrafted if they fall to 20.

Thoughts?

I agree with all of that. Whether its through the draft or free agency, another SF will be brought in. I also agree with Fields playing more regular minutes. He's a good glue guy, does a little bit of everything, its just that his contract is horrific. If he's there, you should play him and try to make it at least semi-worth it. Though, I would not hesitate to move him for almost anything that brings cap relief.

It'll be an interesting draft, though, with Lowry's status still up in the air. If he's leaving, you 100% need a PG coming in.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    Thanks for the feedback, Jballer.

Boston - Rondo - Love

Are you saying that James Young and Nurkic will be picked sooner? Or later?

As for Early....
    I could be wrong but I think Love to Boston is smoke screen ; especially with a new rookie coach. Boston wont accelerate the rebuild unless they get two or three all -stars ; certainly it make no sense to accelerate the rebuild by getting Love and trading Rondo.... I mean Love / Rondo and <<insert here>> have to be the selling point to get Love to wear Celtic green.

Young and Nurik drop into the 21 - 28 range. Young is atheletic swing man project and Nurik is a big man project. Neither of these guys are talented enough as projects to crack top 10. There are too many others like them including FA and RFA. These are they type of guys Late round teams can take a chance on because they "may be special someday" and if these guys play in D League or overseas they stay off the cap.

Early... nope I disagree. Small Ball mantra with shooting is in style in the NBA. Tweeners that can rebound... small ball power forwards (Melo ? etc ) are in vogue. There is a danger they dont get positional play and away from the ball right away...but Early is too polished and too good a shooter. My best Guestimate is picks 25 - 30