Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: What will get me over that hump so I can consistently dunk?

I like the turn this topic has taken. This is because it relates with 2 other questions I was going to ask. I know of a lot of work outs to increase 2-foot jumping, and everytime I get in the weight room to help my vert, only my 2-foot vert is affected. What are some excercises that can best help my single-legged jump? Also, I never, and I mean NEVER stretch. The last time I stretched was when I was with my high school basketball team, which was 6 months ago. If I were to start stretching now, would that give me that little boost I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Alright, quick question. What are we talking about with one-legged squats? Sounds intriguing.

Second, I too, like rolling with the jump lunges. To help avoid knee problems I like warming my legs up prior to this exercise through jumping rope, skipping, some other kind of light-on-the-body jumping.
    Otherwise known as pistols: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLBAbqEZIeU

With anything that goes down past parallel though, you have to be careful. I wouldn't do these every week... maybe once every 3-4 weeks. Our knees are not designed to past parallel. It might not hurt now, but in time, it will mess them up slowly but surely. Like with anything tho, in moderation, it will be alright.

I like the turn this topic has taken. This is because it relates with 2 other questions I was going to ask. I know of a lot of work outs to increase 2-foot jumping, and everytime I get in the weight room to help my vert, only my 2-foot vert is affected. What are some excercises that can best help my single-legged jump? Also, I never, and I mean NEVER stretch. The last time I stretched was when I was with my high school basketball team, which was 6 months ago. If I were to start stretching now, would that give me that little boost I need?
    Stretching can definitely give you a boost. I can't remember what the reason is anymore (don't really feel like looking for it right now) exactly, but being more flexible definitely helps with muscle contractions/stretching. Don't overdo it, but just a few stretches every day holding for 15 seconds or so is fine... You can also do stretching reps, which is like holding each stretch for 2 seconds and then do like 10 reps. It is supposed to be a better way of stretching actually because it negates the myotatic reflex (Muscles contract to protect themselves.) and you won't tear your muscles. (I tore my hammy from overstratching so yea like I said be careful. It's messed up my whole body).

Just practice jumping off one foot and try to get the form down that was explained in the video on the last page. Also, 1 leg exercises like lunges, step ups and pistols will help too.

Oh damn I've been using actual weights when I do my 1 foot squats not much but just adding a little bit, oh well

Quote Originally Posted by dwadefan11
    Oh damn I've been using actual weights when I do my 1 foot squats not much but just adding a little bit, oh well
    That's fine too. but add it slowly but surely... be nice to your knees lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    That's fine too. but add it slowly but surely... be nice to your knees lol.
    haha yeah its low weight but still I'm definetly only doing them like once every two weeks

Dunking on everybody in the park bumpyknucks's Avatar

Quick answer

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Cleans
    Calf raises

Hip flexor stretches (youtube it)

Learning to shoot layups

Thank you to all the people who replied to this thread and helped me out. I took all the advice here, including rest(Took 1 day off) and it got me so far! Not only did I dunk it seemingly easy on the two regulation-sized quadruple rims(Double rims but the bottom is extended for placement of nets) at the park I go to, but I was able to do a dunk I never thought I'd do on a regulation size rim. I cupped the ball between my wrist and forearm, then I took off, and to the amazement of me and many others, it went straight in. Clean as can be. I was so hyped that I did that. Sadly, as soon as it came, it was gone. Even thought I was tired out and my stomach started hurting, I don't think they are the blame for this. When I tried to dunk again on the rim opposite of the one I cup-dunked it on(They are the same exact height and form), I was nowhere near close. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Learning to shoot layups

1 month later. I thought I had it figured out. It seemed so obvious. My hops will be at their worst after playing basketball for too many consecutive days and needing a rest. My hops will be best after resting (48 hours for full recovery). However something just happened that made absolutely no sense. As you see in my prior post which was a month ago, I managed to do a really good dunk. I never rested, and 3 days later I managed to cup dunk it on another rim which was at a park I go to with my father on Sundays (His league plays games there). Also I was positive that the rim was regulation height.
    Fast-forward a week later. Somewhere during the following week I had taken a 2-day rest. When I returned to the park and tried to dunk on the same exact rim, I couldn't! I was so confused. I mean, I only rested for 2-days. I definitely wasn't injured. What did I do wrong? Ever since then I wasn't able to dunk on a regulation height rim, until today. This is where it gets really odd. Prior to today I played basketball for 2 days straight, kept trying to dunk over and over (Practiced my 2-legged jump on lower height rims), and I was sore. Logic says I should have no hops today right? Wrong. After classes at my college I went over to the Gymnasium for open-gym. After shooting around I decided to try to dunk it (Rims are definitely regulation height, and I failed dunking on them so many times prior). I got so close that I surprised myself. When I tried it again, it went down! I was baffled. Ever since college started for me (A week after it actually started is when I first went to open gym) I wasn't able to get a single dunk on any of these rims, and I would try all the time. Here I am, putting dunks down easily, on a day where I am sore. I even had people Ooh'ing and ahh'ing over my cup dunk. This makes no sense at all! Can someone explain what had happened? This makes me so mad, that every once in a blue moon when I can dunk it, I can do it effortlessly. But when I try to dunk it a day after this, I am nowhere near close. I bet the pattern will continue tomorrow. Someone explain this!

some days are good, some are average, and some are bad. It's just that simple. You are able to dunk on a good day, but not any other day. If you want to dunk consistently, you need to stop playing, and work on your your vert specifically for the next couple months... after you gain a couple inches, then you will be able to dunk on a bad day, and really dunk on a good day.