Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Gravity was such a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    If you guys remember the part where ... the fact that so many people accepted in the theater that that was plausible bothered me. People actually applauded as Clooney hopped in.
    Even though it turned out to be ... I felt like this movie proved how stupid people are. They simply accepted that it's possible to just hold your breath in space to survive.
    that was predictable as hell. i knew what was happening as soon as it started. i almost laughed and spoke out loud that it was a you know what. but i thought fast and figured ppl in the theater would kick my ass for spoiling it for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Aside from the part you mentioned, I'm not sure I could have explained or noticed any other real scientific inconsistencies. I mean, I assume the inconsistencies were there, I'm just impressed when it appears so easy for other folks to point them out and criticize the movie for it.
    here are some other inconsistencies:

the flaw in Sandra Bullock's character. it's hard to believe NASA would let out someone in space that is: easy to panic, works poorly in zero-gravity (can't believe she forgets to tether tools in space!), and forgets elementary laws of motion under duress (letting the fire extinguisher loose before bracing for the opposite push is just dumb) (i assume they train for this kind of stuff).

George Clooney's character also had a brainfart. being wasteful of his jet pack's propulsion system when he could've just used a tiny amount to correct trajectory and allow momentum to carry them to the Shoyu station. Sandra's initial launch after the debris hit was also kind of unbelievable. she should've been thrown clear off away from earth at hurtling speeds. space is a vacuum, and in a vacuum, there is no friction. no way in hell can energy be diminished without an opposite force to counteract it. the debris that hit them was travelling at enormous speeds. physics dictate that when the debris hit them, part of it's force should transfer to them. there were two scenarios possible. Sandra would hurtle into far space at speeds that would be far too fast for Clooney to catch up, or she would hurtle into earth's atmosphere, get caught by the earth's gravity, and fall into earth. it wasn't possible for her to spin slowly in orbit. the force was enough to knock everyone out of the satellite's orbit.

but as most ppl have said, the physics inconsistencies are not enough to wreck the movie. they're not gamebreaking in any way. the movie was well done enough that it affected the viewer emotionally.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    that was predictable as hell. i knew what was happening as soon as it started. i almost laughed and spoke out loud that it was a you know what. but i thought fast and figured ppl in the theater would kick my ass for spoiling it for them.

here are some other inconsistencies:

the flaw in Sandra Bullock's character. it's hard to believe NASA would let out someone in space that is: easy to panic, works poorly in zero-gravity (can't believe she forgets to tether tools in space!), and forgets elementary laws of motion under duress (letting the fire extinguisher loose before bracing for the opposite push is just dumb) (i assume they train for this kind of stuff).

George Clooney's character also had a brainfart. being wasteful of his jet pack's propulsion system when he could've just used a tiny amount to correct trajectory and allow momentum to carry them to the Shoyu station. Sandra's initial launch after the debris hit was also kind of unbelievable. she should've been thrown clear off away from earth at hurtling speeds. space is a vacuum, and in a vacuum, there is no friction. no way in hell can energy be diminished without an opposite force to counteract it. the debris that hit them was travelling at enormous speeds. physics dictate that when the debris hit them, part of it's force should transfer to them. there were two scenarios possible. Sandra would hurtle into far space at speeds that would be far too fast for Clooney to catch up, or she would hurtle into earth's atmosphere, get caught by the earth's gravity, and fall into earth. it wasn't possible for her to spin slowly in orbit. the force was enough to knock everyone out of the satellite's orbit.

but as most ppl have said, the physics inconsistencies are not enough to wreck the movie. they're not gamebreaking in any way. the movie was well done enough that it affected the viewer emotionally.
    There was only 1 scene where the physics were incredibly off that pissed me of (in white): [COLOR="White"]It was when his momentum was going away from Bullock and she was trying to hold on. Either they both slip away or her hooked foot is enough to hold them both in place. They acted like he had weight that continued to pull her.[/COLOR]

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I'm not either (in fact, Bullock is somebody I usually avoid movies of), but neither of them are problematic or annoying in the movie. Any complaints of the movie should not come from their acting.
    Thanks, good to know, I'll keep an open mind and give it a shot since you kind of had the same opinion about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    There was only 1 scene where the physics were incredibly off that pissed me of
    oh yeah. that too. which is really stupid as it was a major event in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    I didn't have a problem with this. This isn't so much a physics flaw as it is a weird character trait for someone in her position.

George Clooney's character also had a brainfart. being wasteful of his jet pack's propulsion system when he could've just used a tiny amount to correct trajectory and allow momentum to carry them to the Shoyu station.
    Again... Fine with this. Working under that much stress, etc. People make mistakes. More a character thing again, then physics being incorrect per se.

Sandra's initial launch after the debris hit was also kind of unbelievable. she should've been thrown clear off away from earth at hurtling speeds. space is a vacuum, and in a vacuum, there is no friction. no way in hell can energy be diminished without an opposite force to counteract it. the debris that hit them was travelling at enormous speeds. physics dictate that when the debris hit them, part of it's force should transfer to them. there were two scenarios possible. Sandra would hurtle into far space at speeds that would be far too fast for Clooney to catch up, or she would hurtle into earth's atmosphere, get caught by the earth's gravity, and fall into earth. it wasn't possible for her to spin slowly in orbit. the force was enough to knock everyone out of the satellite's orbit.
    This one bothered me a little, but like you said, it was emotionally engaging enough that you can ignore it.
    Same with the scene Myth mentioned. The only two real inconsistencies I can remember. I might have missed some since I was really into the movie. Thought it was great at building suspense.

It's overrated in terms of how people are talking about it and how it's viewed critically. Still a good movie, but not THAT good.