Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Michael Jordan to return for the 2012/2013 season?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    You cant even touch people these days but 20 points is out of the question?

Wow.

A broken down AI gets 14 points a game but its a stretch for 20. Okay.
    MJ is 47 years old, we're supposed to believe he can come back from retirement and drop 20 on guys like Artest or Kobe? I can't believe we're even having this conversation

Scribbles
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Didn't he say shortly after buying the Bobcats he's going to play to play next season?

Banned

Personally I don't believe it too. However somebody who is usually well informed about whats going on in Charlotte told be about this. So i wouldn't say that it is 100 percent wrong. There could be some 1 percent chance of truth in it.
    However if Mikes knees are fully recoverd again ( this can take 6-7 years no problem) and if he wourld really work out hard for a year or more in the gym and trim himself down to 215 poundes, I truely belive that Mike would still be a very decent player. Even at 50 if you are healthy you can bring yourself in an eycellent physical condition, if you really want to. Especially if you have the gens like Mike does.
    If Mike would be fully committed and healthy i am sure even at age 50 he could still have like close to 30 inch vert and run the 40m dash in around 5.4 or something, which wouldn't be great but enough to compete in the NBA.
    Given this athletic ability, Jordans basketball intelligence and the rules of todays NBA I truely believe Jordan could very well average around 20 points 5assists 6 rebouns on 46 percent from the field.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

he would destroy his averages

but think of all the jersey sales he'd make

charlotte has some ugly ass jerseys and i would still have to buy a home and away jordan jersey

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Jordan has made several comments on that matter, though I won't bother. Look through old posts and you'll see what I mean.

Are you kidding me? Take a look at most players from their peak (usually around 28), and 8 years later at 35-36... Wilt dropped off by 20ppg, Kareem by 9ppg, Magic dropped off dramatically, Oscar's ppg halved in the time, Larry dropped off by 8ppg, Shaq's ppg halved from 28ppg to 14ppg, Hakeem's ppg was cut in half, etc.

Now take that with a 40 year old to 48... You are downright stupid if you think he could average more than 8ppg on credible shooting efficiency.
    Im not saying he would have a good FG% but he surely will get over 8ppg. All it would take for him to do so is hit 4 shots (including layups, midrange or 3pt shots). And im sure the refs would call alot of fouls on opposite players guarding him so he should get a decent amount of free throws. 12-13ppg is about what he would get (depending on how much he plays).

Im also wondering if he would try to take the last shot if he has a chance for a game winner or if they would set a play for someone else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    MJ is 47 years old, we're supposed to believe he can come back from retirement and drop 20 on guys like Artest or Kobe? I can't believe we're even having this conversation
    I'll take 50 year old MJ over Sasha Vujajic

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles
    Didn't he say shortly after buying the Bobcats he's going to play to play next season?

Yea, maybe somebody heared this and based the rumors that Jordan would come back on this. Would be an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Im not saying he would have a good FG% but he surely will get over 8ppg. All it would take for him to do so is hit 4 shots (including layups, midrange or 3pt shots). And im sure the refs would call alot of fouls on opposite players guarding him so he should get a decent amount of free throws. 12-13ppg is about what he would get (depending on how much he plays).

Im also wondering if he would try to take the last shot if he has a chance for a game winner or if they would set a play for someone else instead.
    Kareem, a top 3 player ever, averaged 11ppg as a 41 year old. What makes you think Jordan, playing on the perimeter, where it's harder to scorer, players are quicker to move in front of you, are more athletic, the shots come from further out is going to score more at 50?

He's not getting any fouls called for him. It would be ridiculously easy for players to stay in front of him, there would be no need for fouls. His "smarts", "basketball knowledge", "basketball IQ" or "heart for the game of basketball", and all these other BS excuses one could possibly think of are no good in this situation. He simply isn't physically capable, and if you think a 50 year old man can go against 25 year olds like Igoudala, Wade and Rose, you're kidding yourself. Do you know how quickly each of those players would blow by Jordan? Do you know how easily they'd get to the spot before Jordan?

Banned

Kareem, a top 3 player ever, averaged 11ppg as a 41 year old. What makes you think Jordan, playing on the perimeter, where it's harder to scorer, players are quicker to move in front of you, are more athletic, the shots come from further out is going to score more at 50?

He's not getting any fouls called for him. It would be ridiculously easy for players to stay in front of him, there would be no need for fouls. His "smarts", "basketball knowledge", "basketball IQ" or "heart for the game of basketball", and all these other BS excuses one could possibly think of are no good in this situation. He simply isn't physically capable, and if you think a 50 year old man can go against 25 year olds like Igoudala, Wade and Rose, you're kidding yourself. Do you know how quickly each of those players would blow by Jordan? Do you know how easily they'd get to the spot before Jordan?

The world record for men above 50 years for running 100m is way under 11 seconds. So if you have the genetics and train very hard you can still be very fast even at 50. At least fast enough to compete in the NBA.

7-time NBA All-Star

Are you kidding me? Take a look at most players from their peak (usually around 28), and 8 years later at 35-36... Wilt dropped off by 20ppg, Kareem by 9ppg, Magic dropped off dramatically, Oscar's ppg halved in the time, Larry dropped off by 8ppg, Shaq's ppg halved from 28ppg to 14ppg, Hakeem's ppg was cut in half, etc.

Now take that with a 40 year old to 48... You are downright stupid if you think he could average more than 8ppg on credible shooting efficiency.
    Except Jordan at 40 used basically no athleticism either, so where would the big decline come from. If he got in shape he wouldn't be weaker, and if he was healthy he'd still be able to shoot. at 5 ppg on 35% shooting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Except Jordan at 40 used basically no athleticism either, so where would the big decline come from. If he got in shape he wouldn't be weaker, and if he was healthy he'd still be able to shoot. at 5 ppg on 35% shooting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UupUDYeNqQ

No athleticism? Not really dude.
    Look how easily he got up at age 40 with ****ed up knees.
    If his knees are recoverd his athletic ability woulldn't be far away from what it was back then.
    Under the rules introduced in 05 Jord

I live in Charlotte and haven't really heard anything....

That said, he would average over 5 points... He could still hit the post up fadeaway and would be at around 12-15 per game easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Some of you are honestly delusional thinking a 50 year old can impact the game better than most of the bench players in the league currently...

If at 50 he's not weaker, he'll be slower, if he's not slower, he'll be weaker. His shot won't be as good as it was when he was with the Wizards, not to mention he won't be able to get the same looks...

Who's game at 40 is based on athleticism? No one...
    His decline would come from naturally being slower, weaker, less responsive, less coordinated, less conditioned, not having the skills he once had. What more do you want?

Do you honestly think MJ could come in the league and do better than say Will Bynum or Flip Murray?

The NBA forum is getting dumber (if that's even possible), and even some of the better posters seem to have been hit...

I'll copy and paste this one more time, just to see if it finally gets through...

Now take that same gradual deterioration with a 40/41 year old to 49... Not 27/28-35/36, but 40ish to 49ish...

7-time NBA All-Star

Some of you are honestly delusional thinking a 50 year old can impact the game better than most of the bench players in the league currently...

If at 50 he's not weaker, he'll be slower, if he's not slower, he'll be weaker. His shot won't be as good as it was when he was with the Wizards, not to mention he won't be able to get the same looks...

Who's game at 40 is based on athleticism? No one...
    His decline would come from naturally being slower, weaker, less responsive, less coordinated, less conditioned, not having the skills he once had. What more do you want?

Do you honestly think MJ could come in the league and do better than say Will Bynum or Flip Murray?
    50 year olds don't lose noticeable strength if they work out. I know plenty of 50 years way stronger than your average 20-something year old. Why would his jumpshot look much worse? It's not like 50 years old are unable to duplicate the proper form ona jumpshot. Look at MJ in the video vs Wallace and Richardson that I posted. He still looks good there.

Considering this is the man widely considered the rgeatest to ever play the game and considering how good he looked vs Wallace and J-Rich in practice, 5 ppg on 35% shooting is laughable.

I'm not saying he'd be as good as he was with Washington, but he'd still be able to make some fadeaway's mid range j's, get a steal every once and while because of his great anticipation and his passing ability wouldn't have gone away. Not to mention the softer rules.

He'd still be a decent player.