Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Official 2014 Off season thread

Now that the playoffs have concluded for the Raptors (sadly short, but it is to expected for such a young team), we can state all discussions about the future of the franchise. What needs at which position, coaching changes, draft night picks, trade, FA's, etc...

Feel free to post any ideas and suggestions you would like.

Default Re: Official 2014 Off season thread

Keep:
    Derozan
    Valanciunas
    Amir Johnson
    Vasquez
    Patterson

Dump:
    Fields
    Salmons
    Hayes

Keep/dump under right prices:
    Lowry
    Ross
    De Colo
    Casey

Dunno:
    Hansbrough
    Novak
    Stone
    Buycks

Raps will have $2M extra cap space through Camby's contract to do something with. And, if Raps choose to amnesty Fields, they will have a large space to work on, either re-signing Lowry or signing another big free agent for another playoff push.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Raps can't amnesty Fields. They already used the amnesty with Kleiza.

I'd love it if they could get Lowry for 4 years 44 million. That would leave us room to try to sign PJ Tucker to a two year deal. The glaring weakness the whole series was our inability to guard Joe Johnson. You have to be able to guard one on one to win. We couldn't do that this series.
    Then we draft the best player available, wing, post or Point guard. Doesn't matter. Can make some trades or tweaks from there.

Lowry Vazquez de Colo
    Derozen Tucker De Colo
    Ross Tucker Fields
    Patterson Amir
    Val Hayes Free -agent or second round center. Bachynski would be a good second round pick or free-agent back-up center. Canadian to boot.

There are only 6-8 teams in the league that had a crazy size advantage on the wing. Tucker could help eliminate that issue.

Ross and Val have to really keep improving. I kinda like Patterson starting over Amir. Amir is the perfect first post off the bench for a playoff team.

Not sure if Casey will be back. Some good coaches out there. Masai may want to upgrade.

Learning to shoot layups

http://*********.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Team Options:
    Salmons - dump ($7MM)
    Amir johnson - $7MM - pick, maybe negotiate for extension - guy is part of the soul of the Raptors, and I don't think he'd mind if he had to come off the bench again in the future. Doesn't seem to be that kind of guy.
    Buycks ' ($800 k) - dump

Qualifying Offers:
    Patterson, Vasquez - take their qualifying offers, and maybe negotiate extensions. Gotta keep these guys. I hated Vasquez for a little bit but he earned the right to take big shots. Patterson is a workhorse, and i wonder if he can develop into a true power forward.

'Stuck with':
    Demar, Novak, JV, Ross

Final Year of Contract:
    Hayes, Landry, Hansborough - can they still amnesty, say Landry Fields ($8.5MM) , if they can't trade him as an expirer?

********* indicates a total of $41MM with all options and qualifying offers taken, but you can subtract about $8MM for Salmons and Buycks. So that would mean $33MM for a cap of probably $58MM(?? - someone needs to confirm whatever it is i am writing) or maybe $25MM in space.

I think Lowry is going to command maybe $70MM over 5 years. I kind of think he has Masai by the balls.

Overall, good cap flexiblity with Bird Rights. I wonder who else Raptors might go after? Was thinking this to myself, but two potential FA's that make sense for the Raptors to get back (in addition to re-signing Lowry) are Carter and Bosh - a legitimate big shot veteran who can come off the bench, and (somewhat) legitimate Power Forward (I say somewhat because he doesn't have all the power in his game that he had as a Raptor anymore). What a hoot that would be - the only other guy missing would be Damon Stoudemire as far as past Raptor 'superstars'. Never gonna happen of course.

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    Raps can't amnesty Fields. They already used the amnesty with Kleiza.
    Thanks for correction, not clearly understand how amnesty works.

Still, Fields will be a trade bait next year anyway. Salmons waiving will also create a large space ($7M) also.

Other than the problems at SF, I think the biggest hole we have is at the 4 spot. Amir and PatPat are likeable players, but neither would be considered a starter on a contending team. We need to find someone of around maybe David West's level at PF, that would give us better spacing on O for Val in the post and also give better help D if we keep DD and Ross as our primary wings.

Yeah, I am not sure. I would love Amir and Patterson as our second unit posts. 24 minutes a game each. Val at 32 minutes. Amir can guard back-up centers no problem.

I look at a guy like Draymond Green or a Paul Millsap. That would be an ideal starting 4 man for us. Draymond and Millsap could cover mobile 4's, Pierce, as well as big strong wings like Joe Johnson.

Both of those guys are capable of guarding players at the 3/4 positions.
    The tweener forward is a becoming a valuable position in todays NBA.
    I say tweener in a positive way, one who can guard two positions one who can post up, and/ or take a slower player out on the perimeter.

Patterson is kind of a tweener, but not at the level as those other guys. Maybe, with lots of work, he can become a more versatile player and fill that roll.

If we had tucker in this series, we win in 5 or 6 games. He is unrestricted, I think we should really take a look at this guy. Give him a three year deal worth 14 million and see if he bites.

Who do you guys think we will draft?

Watching locker cleanouts and this came up

"The most important difference I've seen in Kyle is his ability to lose weight. In Houston he was on the heavy side"

- Patrick Patterson

Local High School Star

No Cap room.

No free agents. No Salmons. No Stone (or Bucyks). This assumes Klow signs for a mere $11M - it might be $15M ??

The only room to move is Cedric/Fields/ Novak unless you consider moving a Ross (not likely given cap constraints).

DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00
    Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00
    Kyle Lowry $11,000,000.00
    Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00
    Landry Fields $8,500,000.00
    Steve Novak $3,445,947.00
    Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00
    Marcus Camby $4,177,208.00
    Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00
    Patrick Patterson $4,319,473.00
    Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00
    Greivis Vasquez $3,203,780.00
    Nando De Colo $900,000.00
    Dwight Buycks $816,482.00
    1st round rookie $1,300,000.00

Total $69,920,195.00

2) Serious risk that Vasquez gets a RFA Offer sheet front end loaded that Toronto cannot match !

His QOffer is $5M + change. An RFA Offer sheet for $7.5 Million eliminates the Raps from matching potentially.

Think Lakers/Rockets.

3) Therefore draft the best available talent...

I would prefer that be seasoned by
    1) PG of future
    2) SF and
    3) PF in that order.

4) Think about this. In the loss to the Nets when Casey had to go to the bench past Vasquez the 6th man...

Patterson - played good all around

Landry Fields - 0 Points total all series

John Salmons - 18 point all series.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00
    Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00
    Kyle Lowry $11,000,000.00
    Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00
    Landry Fields $8,500,000.00
    Steve Novak $3,445,947.00
    Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00
    Marcus Camby $4,177,208.00
    Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00
    Patrick Patterson $4,319,473.00
    Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00
    Greivis Vasquez $3,203,780.00
    Nando De Colo $900,000.00
    Dwight Buycks $816,482.00
    1st round rookie $1,300,000.00

Total $69,920,195.00
    $646,609 in 2014-15

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/TOR.html
    Last edited by kaiteng; 05-05-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    $646,609 in 2014-15
    So Camby's hit is only $649609 ??

I will take you at your word.

Actually I think due to averaging Fields true cap hit is only $7.5 Million.

Either way it doesnt change much of anything.

If Klow signs for anything over $11M (from above) that pretty much eats up that 3-4 Million.

Maybe Alan Anderson (type) will come over for a couple of million. Maybe Vasquez will want to stay and we need that cap space to increase over his Qualifying Offer.

Bottom line : No Free agents

I guess the big hope would be turning : Fields, Hayes, Novak's contracts via trade into a very very solid player (think Iggy type) while keeping Ross, Patterson, and Vasquez on board.

MU has a great track record but there are only so many miracles to go around.

2015-16 looks to be better with the potential addition of another 1st rounder and 2 more first rounders (via Knicks) in the pipeline... and Amirs new deal.
    Last edited by Jballer; 05-05-2014 at 02:36 PM.

I think the only way for this team to contend for a title is to go over the cap. Not yet, but in a year or two when this team is ready to compete. In two years, maybe Val will be an all-star. I know that is a big maybe. He is only 21 years old. If him and Ross can improve as much next year as they did from their first to second years the raps are already on the rise.
    We need a big, physical defensive wing. I keep saying Tucker (on a two or three year deal) because I really think he can lock down the top wing leaving ross and derozen to take the second best wing. Ross can guard point guards which will allow Lowry to rest on defence a bit, being more of a helper and charge taker.

Next Summer I think we go after a big name free-agent, either a starting 4 or star three man. I'd love a flex forward type who can play both positions.
    Then you can sign your own guys like Amir, Vaz, Patterson to go over the cap.

Off the cap next year will be hayes, fields, patterson, vaz, amir. Then you sign these guys to go over the cap.

You also have four first rounders the next three years. one this year, one next and 2 in 2016. They could be dangled in potential trades to land a star.

Overall, masai has good flexibility, a young roster, and after next year, no bad contracts.

I think after the Rudy Gay trade the size at the 3 became a problem and unless Terrance Ross gains 20-30 pounds I think we need a wing defender. However, the Raptors won't have cap space after they re-sign Lowry, Vasquez, and possibly Patterson. The best way to go is probably to draft a wing defender. Maybe Jerami Grant or K.J. McDaniel.

NBA lottery pick

[QUOTE][B]I know it

Raps, Jazz, and UCONN rosonviyavong's Avatar

So after Raptors resign Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez ..

We need a long perimeter defender so the available ones for Toronto in free agency are:

Deng (Might hinder T-Ross development but fits perfectly into what Toronto needs)

Marion (Returning to the Raptors but with a more proper role coming off the bench with energy, veteran leadership, and defense)

Ariza (Another perfect fit but he would definitely need to start)

Sefolosha (So perfect and he can probably come off the bench too)

Al Farouq Aminu (Might not really add much tbh but it's worth a shot)