Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tipping at restaurants?

Expecting/begging for tips in a job where you make a shit wage without tips is like the douche equivalent of being on welfare. You're still asking for a handout, except you feel entitled to complain when you don't get one.

I usually tip around 25%, if not a bit more, but i still find it hilarious how often this topic is made and how "people in this industry" come off like complete assholes about not getting tipped. No one but you put yourself in the position where you are dependent on your fellow men for a handout. If they choose not to give it, don't spite them and badmouth them online. How about use that energy towards having the ambition to find better employment where you aren't guilt tripping people into giving you more. You're the type of people that make me not want to tip just to say **** you and your attitude. But i choose not to group every waiter/pizza delivery with the likes of you, because i'm not looking for a reason to be a bitch like those bitching about not getting tips.

most countries are not as spoiled and fortunate to even sniff a 10% tip

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    Expecting/begging for tips in a job where you make a shit wage without tips is like the douche equivalent of being on welfare. You're still asking for a handout, except you feel entitled to complain when you don't get one.

I usually tip around 25%, if not a bit more, but i still find it hilarious how often this topic is made and how "people in this industry" come off like complete assholes about not getting tipped. No one but you put yourself in the position where you are dependent on your fellow men for a handout. If they choose not to give it, don't spite them and badmouth them online. How about use that energy towards having the ambition to find better employment where you aren't guilt tripping people into giving you more. You're the type of people that make me not want to tip just to say **** you and your attitude. But i choose not to group every waiter/pizza delivery with the likes of you, because i'm not looking for a reason to be a bitch like those bitching about not getting tips.
    wow you are generous, 15% is more than fair

In MA, waiters make noticeably less than minimum wage. I generally tip 25%.

I'm familiar with the food service industry, and the disrespect from patrons is widespread. I'm pleasant and I get always that in return. Better for everyone and my food and service is always legit.

For pizza places and the like, always drop a tip because non-tippers are remembered. A friend manages a pizza shop. The workers sabotage asshole non-tippers' food if they order again.

Especially if you call a place regularly, they will remember whether or not you tip well. In most joints, good tippers get better food. Built-in incentives that benefit everyone. Paying 5% extra on your bill is a small price to pay at places you frequent.

Local High School Star Ol Dirty Bastard's Avatar

What I hate is tipping bartenders.

It's there ****ing job. Pour liquor in cup.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard
    What I hate is tipping bartenders.

It's there ****ing job. Pour liquor in cup.
    I agree with this one. If you buy a quick drink, they poor it in about 20 seconds and their job is done. I do understand tipping bar tenders if it is busy and they seem to do their best at getting to you quickly rather than overlooking you over and over.

Essentially, whether it is waiters/waitresses or bartenders, tip should only be necessary if their job at the moment includes frequently checking on you to see if you need anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I agree with this one. If you buy a quick drink, they poor it in about 20 seconds and their job is done. I do understand tipping bar tenders if it is busy and they seem to do their best at getting to you quickly rather than overlooking you over and over.

Essentially, whether it is waiters/waitresses or bartenders, tip should only be necessary if their job at the moment includes frequently checking on you to see if you need anything.
    I picked up a ridiculously hot bartender once when I didn't tip her, and she asked me why.

Turns out 99.9% of humans with penises tip her, and her curiosity got me a few dates with her.

Funny thing is I thought I left a tip, but she must have thought it was someone else's. Was a fun few weeks.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    I picked up a ridiculously hot bartender once when I didn't tip her, and she asked me why.

Turns out 99.9% of humans with penises tip her, and her curiosity got me a few dates with her.

Funny thing is I thought I left a tip, but she must have thought it was someone else's. Was a fun few weeks.
    Bi[COLOR="Black"]tch[/COLOR]es love cheap guys.

The only people who I don't tip are bartenders when I'm ordering beer only. I just feel like pulling down a lever and filling up a cup is way too simple a task to get extra money on top of the 6 bucks I'm already paying for the beer. If I ask for a cocktail of some kind where they have to put some effort into mixing ingredients and stuff then I'll tip.

In terms of servers at restaurants, I actually didn't realize in California they make the full minimum wage. It might change how I tip, but honestly I'll still probably leave them something.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    This. Without tipping, you can get the waiter that half asses everything and they have no repercussions. Many other places it is easier to walk away if you don't like the service, but you are expected to pay for your food once you order it, so you are essentially stuck with that server until you leave, so you want that server to be motivated.
    Just a ridiculous retarded American mentality and culture. People working hard just because they get tips. I am staying in South Korea and it's every bit (if not much more) modern in living conditions etc. However, with these service industries (cabs, restaurants, etc) you don't tip. What's even crazier..is that the service is still 100x better than back at home. They treat you so well, just because it is their job and they know other people can easily do what they do. They appreciate just having a job and making sure they do a good job at it.

I like the In n Out mentality. Pay a reasonable wage ($9 an hour to start if im not mistaken). Get rid of this tipping wildness. Gotta tip everywhere, bartenders (and I was one), etc. It's ridiculous.

Personally, I like a system better where everyone is rewarded if the company/restaurant is successful. Also, rewards people for staying with a company longer. Turnover is a huge cost and waste of scrills in restaurants. Simply, have a year-end bonus (even for part-time workers). If the company does good, everyone gets rewarded.

end rant/
    Last edited by sundizz; 01-06-2013 at 08:15 AM.

The reason we have tipping is because it works (better service). If you dont like tipping, go eat somewhere where they hand you your food on a tray, and note the difference in service.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

In Quebec, the minimun wage is 9,90$ and the minimum wage for workers who make tips is $8.55

Me, I always give 15% if I received a very good service or if the waitress is really hot

College superstar

I like how this angry narrative about tipping always gets thrown at the small person, like the waiter or bartender, but no one ever complains about how the corporate restaurant itself, is ripping you off left and right with prices and such. You don't want to tip? Then demand that corporations and restaurants pay their employee's a decent wage. Waiting tables and bar tending are not minimum wage jobs. Actually go work 8 hours straight in a busy restaurant or bar, and you'll find out it's just as hard, if not harder then your BS, cubicle, desk, insurance claims, medical debt, collared golf shirt, douche baggery you perpetuate daily.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    I like how this angry narrative about tipping always gets thrown at the small person, like the waiter or bartender, but no one ever complains about how the corporate restaurant itself, is ripping you off left and right with prices and such. You don't want to tip? Then demand that corporations and restaurants pay their employee's a decent wage. Waiting tables and bar tending are not minimum wage jobs. Actually go work 8 hours straight in a busy restaurant or bar, and you'll find out it's just as hard, if not harder then your BS, cubicle, desk, insurance claims, medical debt, collared golf shirt, douche baggery you perpetuate daily.

You realize if they paid their employees more, the price of food would go up too right?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls

You realize if they paid their employees more, the price of food would go up too right?
    No shit, that's why when these rants come up it's pretty ridiculous. You're gonna pay one way or another. Bottom line.