Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Adjustments Magic have to make going into game 3 vs Celtics

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
    unless rashard lewis hits 18 points the rest of the way out, it's simply over. carter's confidence is now shot, and who really expected him to show up big anyway.

someone else on here said it first, and i'll repeat it:

the magic and cavs spent the offseason building teams to beat each other, and they forgot about boston in the process.

boston's season didn't give anybody a reason to believe they'd make it past the second round, but they at least deserved the spurs media treatment this year and didn't get it. those miami beating boston predictions were laughable.

when you have 3 hall of fame veterans who can still play like all-stars on most nights, and when those 3 have already won a title together, you're never the underdog.

come playoff time in the nba, more experience equals more wins
    I have to agree.
    Everyone keeps telling Boston players are very old, but keep forgetting that they play better then almost every player in their position. Also Celtics have lots of young guys, though people overlook that because its always about the big three.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannot
    I have to agree.
    Everyone keeps telling Boston players are very old, but keep forgetting that they play better then almost every player in their position. Also Celtics have lots of young guys, though people overlook that because its always about the big three.

Yeah, I feel that, most people (myself included) get blinded by regular season records and simply forget sometimes which teams is actually BETTER.

For example, 2006 finals. Everyone says Mavs choked, because Heat had a mediocre regular season and Mavs won 60 some games. But...before the season Heats were picked by many to win it all. THey had a stacked team. If you look at both teams on paper before season eveyrone would say Heat was better. But Mavs overachieved in regular season, Heat underachieved, so came finals everyone had this impression that Mavs SHOULD WIN, and when they lost it's because of choke.

Same deal with Cavs. The Cavs lineup last season simply wasn't all that. Mo Williams was the team's second best player. They have a bunch of solid guys from 3 through 8 but none are as good as say a Lamar Odom or Russell Westbrook. But the Cavs played hard, had great chemistry, and overachieved for 66 wins. So when they lost to the superior team in Orlando, people were disappointed.

this year, same deal. The Celtics have three HOFs who are still maybe 75-80% their old selves, a fourth superstar in the making, and a bunch of big bodies and vets. This lineup is STACKED. They are not exactly upsetting anyone.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Last few posts I agree with , but the most vivid point is that regular season games are not playoff games.
    At the end of the season , you want to establish a rotation in your roster that fits like a glove , and each player on the roster knows exactly why they are there and what is expected of them.
    Celtic's are not playing over their head , but just gel'n at the right time .
    It's called the last hurray.

But most importantly defense as well as half court sets are and will win a championship , instead of run and gun and no defense.
    If the later was true , Denver would of had a boat load of championships back in the realic days.
    Lakers are built to play the playoffs and win a championship , because they can play transition ball and half court sets with their big men.
    Celtics as well are built similiarly , and the real ingredient for slashing and fast break points like Tony Parker is Rondo.
    This is VERY important to the skeem of playoff basketball.
    Eon's ago the Chicago Bulls had Ron Harper , who played defense as his primary role , but as a big guard could go to the rack and dunk besides layups.
    Layups in playoff basketball are literally like daggers to the defensive team , because it causes rotational issues , fouls and weakside put backs.
    If celtics and lakers meet , Rondo will be the key to the game. Not Pierce.
    Pierce , Allen , KG do not want to get into a fast break type game with anyone.
    That said = Orlando has to increase tempo , get Vince on the wing , lewis has to start hitting jumpers , and some how Orlando has to get rondo into foul trouble.
    if Lewis doesn't have his shot going immediately I'd have petrius (spl.) in playing Peirce 30 plus minutes.
    remember this guy can slash and play fastbreak bball , besides a nice jumper when the options are there.
    Van gundy has failed in this series.

Oh the Bealsanity

I would like to see SVG get Shard going. Yes he's been playing terrible but he's not getting any plays drawn up for him. He needs to get in the flow for the Magic to have a chance. Play him more at SF, he can post up Pierce and he can't do much worse on D than anyone else they've thrown at him. I would like Stan to play Bass as well. He matches up great with Big Baby, see what he can do out there. Keep playing JJ and whomever is playing better D b/t Barnes or Pietrus play them more. For the rest of the team, just have to hit their shots.

How bad does this Magic team want it? We shall see on Saturday.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

No I don't want Bass any where near the bball court.

I want Majic to allow a trade this off season to Milwaukee (we need him)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    Very simply put, a team that so heavily relies on 3 pt shooting, cannot win it all.

Because if they nail them, they sweep the opponents, but if they don't they have no other chance than being outplayed in almost all other aspects of the game.
    The Magic have been knocking down their 3s, when they're wide open. The problem is, they aren't getting the wide open looks that they got against the Bobcats and the Hawks. Rashard will not get going unless he forces the issue and starts driving to the hoop.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Funny thing is if the Magic played better for 2 more minutes they would be up 2-0 and this thread would be "Adjustments Celtics have to make going into game 3".

Derka
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I think the Celtics have to continue to play their level of defense, and focus on not lapsing again in the 4th quarter. Stay in Dwight Howard's head, let him take 19-20 shots tomorrow night and score 30 again. Main thing is keeping Barnes, Carter, Nelson and Lewis physically and mentally out of this game.

Welcome to the war zone. Nobody leaves here alive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Welcome to the war zone. Nobody leaves here alive.
    Including the green goblins.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Funny thing is if the Magic played better for 2 more minutes they would be up 2-0 and this thread would be "Adjustments Celtics have to make going into game 3".
    Hell no. Game1 was a blowout with a lapse at the end, not a close game. Big difference.
    G2, maybe, but no way celts could be down 2

Orlando will win one of their next two meeting in Boston. No way Boston sweeps a team this talented. Right now, Boston is playing the best basketball of any squad remaining, but the Magic's talent and SVG's superb coaching will be too difficult for The Truth's statement to remain as truth.

Boston in 5, winning on the road to close out the series. All I can say is, LA better find a way to adequately rest Kobe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Orlando will win one of their next two meeting in Boston. No way Boston sweeps a team this talented. Right now, Boston is playing the best basketball of any squad remaining, but the Magic's talent and SVG's superb coaching will be too difficult for The Truth's statement to remain as truth.

Boston in 5, winning on the road to close out the series. All I can say is, LA better find a way to adequately rest Kobe.
    a team this talented? they lost two games at HOME, no way they re going to win it at boston lol. The crowd will be on ****ing fire tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Funnyfuka
    a team this talented? they lost two games at HOME, no way they re going to win it at boston lol. The crowd will be on ****ing fire tonite.
    You make it sound like the Orlando Magic are not talented. So, losing two straight home games and you're automatically labeled a no talent, have-no-business in the playoffs team? Forget their regular season record, which was a superb 59-23 and mere two games behind the league's best (Cavs, 61-21). Oh, and ignore the fact they won eight straight playoff games sweeping their first two opponents.

What the hell are you smoking kid? Maybe you're just hyped for this game. Sometimes people let their emotions get the best of them. Will it be difficult for Orlando to win this Game 3 in Boston? Yep. Who said it wouldn't? You also underestimate the resiliency of the Magic. Is it really that far fetched that SVG will have his team ready to come in and sneak a victory away from Boston?

The C's are in the driver seat, they could get comfortable knowing they're playing two straight at home and already up 0-2 in the series. Hey, maybe you should add more to your side of the debate so I can better understand why you see it being so far off in left field for the Magic to have any chance whatsoever to get a win tonight in the Garden. Please, I'd love to hear it.

''The C's are in the driver seat, they could get comfortable knowing they're playing two straight at home and already up 0-2 in the series''

I have to agree with you on your psot, exept for this. They became comfortable in 2008 with 2-0 lead Lakers, and then they made a run. I think they learned from that game and games that folowed to never be comfortable with 2-0. But Magic isnt done, but it would be difficult to win.