View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #109
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Default Re: How many of you DIDN'T like Jordan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer10
Thanks.

So you see, it pretty much was a very similiar situation.

BTW, that was a beatiful quote by MJ and so true.

I hate this whole "making your teammates better" argument. It's the biggest crap in the world.

Wonderful quote by MJ.

BTW IMO, MJ > Magic. Won more with less, was more impressive..and I also have a bias for shoot first over pass first players...although just now I'm coming to my senses.
mj's quote was true to a point, but i don't think he was better than magic or bird when he said it. he honestly didn't start trusting his teammates completely until phil jackson taught him to. maybe that's because he didn't have any star quality players other than oakley until scottie and grant started to develop, but i think it's more that he didn't understand the value of having role players with high confidence and strong minds under pressure. when he got that he changed from just trying to weed out the weak ones in practive to trying to instill determination and mental toughness (pippen's collapse against detroit may have helped him learn this as well):

"Kerr: Michael had put so much pressure on us all year that whatever we faced in the playoffs wasn’t going to bother us. Every practice through all year just continued the intensity, and when you have Michael you pretty much think you’re going to win every game. So he took so much of the pressure off just by being himself."

as for mj being better than magic, i agree but for a different reason. yes mj did more with less, but he didn't have to beat the loaded 6ers or Celts teams to do it (though the bulls did sweep the pistons in 91 that was two years after detroit beat la in the finals). the talent on magic's team was more necessary because his rivals had the same kind of firepower. i would say the only major point of defining point between michael and magic is the defensive end, where magic was a mediocre one on one defender who couldn't really cover his position and required either a second pg or a very quick sg on the floor with him (much like iverson needs a big pg when he plays the 2), though he was a good attacker of passing lanes. jordan was one of the preeminent perimeter defenders of all time. that's a significant difference between two guards who could both basically create points for their teams at will.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote