Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Portland Offers Roy Hibbert Max Deal

7'2 Center that has nothing but a bright future, especially in a league where good centers are rare

I'll do it

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    i guess you're looking at per 36 stats. fair enough, but last season was clearly his best. he was a game changing player and, as usual, stats don't tell the whole story. it's like saying blake griffin regressed last season because his stats weren't quite as good as his rookie season when he was clearly at least a bit better
    Actually not using advanced stats. Just remember his overall raw numbers were down across the board this year, but didn't look it up on BR or anything right now. I agree he's a game changer, top 5 center and very valuable guy. It's specifically the MAX player thing that shocks me. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here because DeAndre Jordan for example who's far worse is insanely overpaid at 11 mill a year. Thing is... this guy is looking at what 17 mill a year or something?

This overpaying to steal players or force teams to match is getting old. Clippers actually tried to pay DeAndre 8 mill a year and bitch ass Golden State drove the price up to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ispin69
    They aren't planning to re-sign JJ Hickson?
    Nope. They didn't give him qualifying. He's unrestricted and unwanted by Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Actually not using advanced stats. Just remember his overall raw numbers were down across the board this year, but didn't look it up on BR or anything right now. I agree he's a game changer, top 5 center and very valuable guy. It's specifically the MAX player thing that shocks me. I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here because DeAndre Jordan for example who's far worse is insanely overpaid at 11 mill a year. Thing is... this guy is looking at what 17 mill a year or something?

This overpaying to steal players or force teams to match is getting old. Clippers actually tried to pay DeAndre 8 mill a year and bitch ass Golden State drove the price up to 11.
    his numbers were completely up across the board, except assists which went from 2.0 to 1.7. points, rebounds, blocks, steals, fta, and fg% were all career highs

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...hibbero01.html

College star

i guess you're looking at per 36 stats. fair enough, but last season was clearly his best. he was a game changing player and, as usual, stats don't tell the whole story. it's like saying blake griffin regressed last season because his stats weren't quite as good as his rookie season when he was clearly at least a bit better
    Regardless, you're arguing a mute point. Yes, I agree Clippersfan is exaggerating a bit when saying Hibbert has gotten progressively worst each year, however Hibbert, nonetheless, is NOT a max-type player. If 11 and 11 in the playoffs gets your max money these days, the league is going to lose ALOT of teams to financial suicide, ESPECIALLY with the new penalties of the CBA.

his numbers were completely up across the board, except assists which went from 2.0 to 1.7. points, rebounds, blocks, steals, fta, and fg% were all career highs

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...hibbero01.html
    Ah.... problem solved. I WAS apparently remembering the PER 36 numbers when I looked at them couple days ago. My bad on that.... I was wondering WTF you guys were talking about when two of you mentioned PER 36. Either way though we can probably agree that improvements have been small and slow.. which isn't what you want in a young, max player.

You gave a good example of Griffin's stats dropping despite him polishing his game in actuality and that applies to Hibbert 100 percent. I just don't think he produces enough, nor is marketable enough to deserve this.

Banned

I only think this is stupid because Portland already drafted a Center out of U of I in the lottery.

What is the point of drafting him if you are just going to offer/sign another Center in the free agent for the max?

but yeah i think hibbert deserves 10-11 mil/year max, bigs are definitely overpaid

but yeah i think hibbert deserves 10-11 mil/year max, bigs are definitely overpaid
    Just like DJ deserved 7-8 mill max. Unfortunately you have teams driving the price up big time and forcing teams to match. They need to fix that because it's annoying.

College star

Ah.... problem solved. I WAS apparently remembering the PER 36 numbers when I looked at them couple days ago. My bad on that.... I was wondering WTF you guys were talking about when two of you mentioned PER 36. Either way though we can probably agree that improvements have been small and slow.. which isn't what you want in a young, max player.

You gave a good example of Griffin's stats dropping despite him polishing his game in actuality and that applies to Hibbert 100 percent. I just don't think he produces enough, nor is marketable enough to deserve this.
    Improvements are still improvements, and far from regression, as you stated Hibbert had been experiencing.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I only think this is stupid because Portland already drafted a Center out of U of I in the lottery.

What is the point of drafting him if you are just going to offer/sign another Center in the free agent for the max?
    Portland was pretty bad in the draft. If they wanted a C they could have got Drummond for much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Improvements are still improvements, and far from regression, as you stated Hibbert had been experiencing.
    Which is why I admitted my inaccurate statement. I retract it and go from saying regress to slow progression. Hibbert isn't a baby. He's a very skilled, polished player going into his 5th season that's always had a skill based game. He was never raw like Griffin where he needs a lot of time to really put it together.

Nothing has indicated high upside or big leap in improvement.

Blazers trolling the Pacers big time

Last edited by dbugz; 07-01-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Sam Amick reporting that Neil Olshey offered Hibbert the max deal tonight. Obviously Pacers will match but wow. Dude only made an all star team last year because Horford was out and Pacers had a great improvement. 15.5 ppg, 10.5 rpg is not max money and he hasn't really improved as a pro. Statistically over 4 seasons he's actually regressed.
    This is just straight ignorance. The guy's gotten better every single year.

Anyway, as a Pacers fan, this is good. It means once we match it's 4.5% annual raises instead of 7.5%.

Hibbert's numbers went down this year because of David West.

If the Pacers lose Hibbert, then who do they have to play center?

Accordingly to the market of DeAndre Jordan getting 10.5 million, he's definitely worth a max level deal.

Plus bigs often do get better with age.