Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Cavs fire coach Scott!?

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    I feel for Byron.

It's not his fault LeBron split a week after he got hired

It's not his fault his 2 best players are made out of glass

It's not his fault the front office has wasted more top-5 picks than Michael Jordan (Waiters and Tristan are good don't get me wrong, but I still don't think they were top 5 worthy. Top 10-15? Yes. But not top 5)

It's not his fault Cleveland's not exactly a market that draws in big free agents

With that said though, the defense thing killed him and understandably so. I don't blame Scott. I'm upset that they fired him. But I do understand WHY they fired him.

TT broke a cavs record for ORBS in a season and was the second best Offensive rebounder in the league behind z-bo and a consistent double double guy at 21 years old, plus he has great intangibles. he was drafted on potential. Only bigs from his class you can make a case for are better than him right now is faried.

Dion Waiters is def. a top 5 rookie in last years draft. Don't really know what you smoking/huffing.

Grant turned two "reaches" into two very solid picks and you act like they f*cked their draft up? Did you watch this past season?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    TT broke a cavs record for ORBS in a season and was the second best Offensive rebounder in the league behind z-bo and a consistent double double guy at 21 years old, plus he has great intangibles. he was drafted on potential. Only bigs from his class you can make a case for are better than him right now is faried.
    Kanter

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I was initially scratching my head in the moments following both the TT and Waiters picks. Both guys have shown so far that they were worthy of the picks, imo. Of course, two and one years into their careers -- respectively -- you aren't going to know exactly what these guys will amount to, but the point is both guys have shown a lot of promise...

Which is what you're hoping for in a draft pick. Not many guys step into the league and stand out immediately the way Kyrie did.

I'm happy with both guys at this stage. To say the drafts were "blown" is ridiculous, especially this early in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Kanter
    Need to see more from him than 15 minutes a game, but it doesn't even matter... He went before Tristan.

You can't say a draft was "blown" because you like a guy who wasn't available.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Need to see more from him than 15 minutes a game, but it doesn't even matter... He went before Tristan.

You can't say a draft was "blown" because you like a guy who wasn't available.
    You also can't say "Only bigs from his class you can make a case for are better than him right now is faried." Kanter definitely has a case. A two year rotation player for a playoff contending team in the West that was the best player on the court when he got to start. He was the youngest guy in the draft who is also the least experienced. Great offensive rebounder in his own right.

Would've given him next season. Anyone remember what game it was that Dan Gilbert sat next to Fred and Austin during a broadcast of a game?
    He said that he expected next year to see major improvements record wise, he just cared about the development of the younger guys this year.

Weird. The dude had to coach some awful, awful teams.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Byron Scott was the least of this team's problems.

Cleveland will hire and fire coaches every two years from now until the end of time, unless Lebron comes back.

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    You also can't say "Only bigs from his class you can make a case for are better than him right now is faried." Kanter definitely has a case. A two year rotation player for a playoff contending team in the West that was the best player on the court when he got to start. He was the youngest guy in the draft who is also the least experienced. Great offensive rebounder in his own right.
    They are in completely different situations and it's tough to make a case for one over the other, at least at this stage. Yes, Kanter is a good rotation player on a far superior team and I've liked Kanter from what I have seen, which admittedly isn't much.

Thompson is getting major minutes and developing rapidly on an inferior team.

To follow-up on where Duke was going, Tristan's vast improvement is clearly visible in his numbers and even more obvious when you watch him play.

Varejao was knocked out for the season on Dec. 18 against the Raptors. TT started the remaining 56 games and averaged 13.2 points on 50% shooting, 10.3 rebounds and a block a game over that stretch.

He also played in all 82 games, which is pretty impressive for a guy who just turned 22 and is in his second season.

You can make a case for Kanter, being that he is an entirely different situation and playing well for what has been asked of him. I think it is fair to say both guys have lived up to their respective billings thus far.

I don't really care to "rate" the bigs of the 2011 draft this early in their careers. We'll see where they are five years down the road. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Cleveland will hire and fire coaches every two years from now until the end of time, unless Lebron comes back.
    Byron Scott coached three years, FYI

Byron Scott coached three years, FYI
    Ah well, what's a year, or two? The fact is that with Gilbert's famous impatience and cheapness, there will probably be a continuous coaching carousel in Cleveland -- unless LBJ comes back to stabilize the situation.

Ah well, what's a year, or two? The fact is that with Gilbert's famous impatience and cheapness, there will probably be a continuous coaching carousel in Cleveland -- unless LBJ comes back to stabilize the situation.
    Cheapness?

Do explain. You can call Gilbert a lot of things. Cheap isn't one of them.

Cheapness?

Do explain. You can call Gilbert a lot of things. Cheap isn't one of them.
    When has Gilbert shown the inclination to pay top dollar for a first-class coach?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike Brown and Byron Scott probably didn't break the bank in contract terms.

Is Gilbert ready to beckon to PJax, just to show people that he's serious?

When has Gilbert shown the inclination to pay top dollar for a first-class coach?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike Brown and Byron Scott probably didn't break the bank in contract terms.

Is Gilbert ready to beckon to PJax, just to show people that he's serious?
    For a coach? I'm not sure what he has spent on a coach, but the Cavs have been consistently at or near the top in the league when it comes to payroll over the last decade.

After James left, he bought Baron Davis' bloated contract for an additional shot in the lottery, which turned out to be Kyrie Irving. The next year, he did the same thing with Luke Walton's ludicrous contract to get more draft picks.

I'm not sure who the next coach will be, but the one thing I'm pretty sure of is that the decision will not be made based on dollars and cents.