Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Why does COD always get more sales over other better FPS games?

COD is pretty bland by now yet it gets way more sales than games like Battlefield and Killzone. Why's that?

Default Re: Why does COD always get more sales over other better FPS games?

-easier to play then the other ones
    -smaller maps lead to more action
    -no real skill just hop on and you will be good
    -killstreaks are a easy way for players to get kills

Because some people actually enjoy the series? Maybe, just maybe people just enjoy the style of play COD brings, its fast paced, good customization, easy to pick up and killstreaks make them feel rewarded. COD has been around the same since MW2, and you still haven't figured it out?

A winning formula I might say, but for some it may get old. I myself haven't bought Ghosts and stopped playing Black Ops 2 back in March, I am planning to get it for the next gen though

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    Those 3 plus I think it markets better than the other games. The COD franchise has built quite a following.

I haven't liked a COD game since 4, but I still buy every other release. I like the change of pace. It's like a polished version of every crappy FPS PC mmo that gets released.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 11-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    -smaller maps lead to more action
    This pretty much.

And I'll add that people don't like change, and they like COD which never changes. And when it does change the devs get death threats.

Why does McDonalds sell the most cheeseburgers despite having shitty food?

Marketing and Availability.

It appeals to a wide variety of consumers. They market their game well and kids are obsessed with it. COD 4 was fantastic, but it went downhill from there, imo.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Because it's easy as shit and lots of kids play it

~Every game takes skill. Gotta love the snobs who claim "it takes no skill" if they suck or just do not like the game. If you want to be good at any game, it takes time and patience to separate yourself from the pack...unless you just have a knack for certain types of games.

~How many quality alternatives out there?

~COD is fun and addictive for beginner-pro level player...which is most important if you expect your game to catch on and sell. A casual gamer has to be able to pick it up and be able to compete to a degree, kinda like playing an arcade back in the day.

It's a fast paced game that provides a polarizing experience. As long as you see a bit of both sides, it'll pull you in. Kill streaks are are fun to use because of how destructive they can be. People die fast, giving opponents less opportunity to outplay you like one would in Halo 3. Large amounts of customization and it utilizes a mmo-esque leveling system to reward players.

COD4 and Youtube really boosted the popularity of the series. Game commentaries became popular around the 2nd year of COD4's release. Those were basically readily available advertisement. Back then, you searched on Youtube COD4 tips and you could stumble upon these commentaries. I've heard that COD4 is widely considered the best one because it was the series leap to the modern saga among other smaller details.

The 'it takes no skill' argument is bogus, but it still is a game you can pick up and play. You might suck for a little while if you've never played CoD before, but the learning curve isn't as big as other games with more intricate controls and storylines.

Also as ballup said, YouTube in particular has helped CoD go mainstream with commentaries over the past few years, and the amount of people who make a living (and a damn good one at that) producing YouTube gameplay commentaries is constantly growing. Nowadays it's a lot more about the commentator personalities, and people enjoy more variety, but when it first got big, it was CoD vids or nothing if you wanted to get well known in the YouTube commentating scene.

While it probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people here, and I rarely watch it myself, but competitive CoD as an e-sport is also extremely popular, and audience figures constantly grow. Certain 'teams' have gone pro, and even live together so they can play CoD for god knows how many hours a day. Not on a level of LoL or Dota, but it's still big. Doesn't do it for me personally, but to some kids, these pro-gamers are their heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    While it probably doesn't appeal to a lot of people here, and I rarely watch it myself, but competitive CoD as an e-sport is also extremely popular, and audience figures constantly grow. Certain 'teams' have gone pro, and even live together so they can play CoD for god knows how many hours a day. Not on a level of LoL or Dota, but it's still big. Doesn't do it for me personally, but to some kids, these pro-gamers are their heroes.
    too bad COD completely destroyed the pro scene after COD4. I used to play on a pretty professional level for COD2 to 4 and the ability to mod the maps for competitive play was lost after COD4 aka no more promods. There isn't a single person i know from the professional COD4 community that moved on to the other COD series.

The game quite frankly is catered now for console 12 yr olds, whom will blindly buy every game that COD put out because they are 12 yr olds... Not to mention the game is super easy these days, all these whos got a better KD or 360 no scope is

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    The 'it takes no skill' argument is bogus, but it still is a game you can pick up and play. You might suck for a little while if you've never played CoD before, but the learning curve isn't as big as other games with more intricate controls and storylines.

Also as ballup said, YouTube in particular has helped CoD go mainstream with commentaries over the past few years, and the amount of people who make a living (and a damn good one at that) producing YouTube gameplay commentaries is constantly growing. Nowadays it's a lot more about the commentator personalities, and people enjoy more variety, but when it first got big, it was CoD vids or nothing if you wanted to get well known in the YouTube commentating scene.

Well tbh the skill gap has been reduced significantly since MW2. Spawns are messed up, shot detection is shit and early killstreaks beat later killstreaks. If you're a good player you do good, but if you're a bad player you have a chance unlike games previous to MW2

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    Well tbh the skill gap has been reduced significantly since MW2. Spawns are messed up, shot detection is shit and early killstreaks beat later killstreaks. If you're a good player you do good, but if you're a bad player you have a chance unlike games previous to MW2
    Spawns have always been bad in the COD modern era, even in 4. It's the forced spawn option, which I really think that they should have taken out of the series a long time ago.

Since COD is much more of a reactionary based gameplay, skill in the game is more about knowing where to be. Because of how the spawning system works and how quickly you can get dropped, you can get good score because you happen to be at the right place at the right time. I feel like this happens more in COD, which I think is why the average player is not consistent in this series.

Banned

yeah mainly because it's easier for non gamers to get into, there's a reason why I know a bunch of people who don't really play games but they love COD