Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Kobe hinting at retirement again.. / not gonna be a role player

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cousy
    If he mans up and decides to remain in the league as a 2nd or 3rd option in his twilight years he can probably finish his career 3rd all time in scoring.
    Kobe will beat out Jordan. I don't think anyone has any doubt in their mind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Kobe will beat out Jordan. I don't think anyone has any doubt in their mind.
    I was trying to be modest.

I know he will.

Magic Johnson

... I'm not sure I buy that he's going to retire early. Consider that in two or three seasons Kobe will probably have surpassed Jordan, and be 3-4 more seasons away, maybe less, from passing Kareem. Whether he admits it or not, Kobe's a very stat driven individual. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he decides to go for the record, especially if the Lakers are still contending for championships.

A lot of it will depend on how the Lakers rebuild, or better yet, reload. Obviously Kobe's gotta stay healthy too, which at this point is a big IF. You would think eventually one of his chronic injuries will give him more problems than it has to date.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell

97-04

05-12

What the hell are you talking about?

I wouldn't want to see him out on the court looking flabby and sick like the players in the above pictures. Retire while people still have a good vision in their head about you. Go out on a good note.
    You are here claiming that Kobe was the #1 guy from 1997 to 2004? LOL, Kobe was #1 ZERO times out of all of those seasons. Maybe you are confused about my post? Kobe was never the #1 guy until the season after Shaq was traded, this isn't even debatable.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    You are here claiming that Kobe was the #1 guy from 1997 to 2004? LOL, Kobe was #1 ZERO times out of all of those seasons. Maybe you are confused about my post? Kobe was never the #1 guy until the season after Shaq was traded, this isn't even debatable.
    Thats not a small fraction though. Thats like the 2nd half of his whole career.

I really hope he does continue to play, even if it means coming off the bench, for as long as its physically possible. All basketball fans, Kobe-stans or Kobe-haters alike should really enjoy these last several years of his career because I don't see another player in this new, less-physical NBA that will have a similar mindset and competitive nature quite like what we've seen in Bryant.

Bryant is essentially the last generation of NBA players that were drafted in the mid to late 90s that learned to play with things like handchecking, the absence of flagrant fouls (harder fouls in the paint) and things of that nature.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    ... I'm not sure I buy that he's going to retire early. Consider that in two or three seasons Kobe will probably have surpassed Jordan, and be 3-4 more seasons away, maybe less, from passing Kareem. Whether he admits it or not, Kobe's a very stat driven individual. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he decides to go for the record, especially if the Lakers are still contending for championships.

A lot of it will depend on how the Lakers rebuild, or better yet, reload. Obviously Kobe's gotta stay healthy too, which at this point is a big IF. You would think eventually one of his chronic injuries will give him more problems than it has to date.
    Agree with everything except one minor detail. Kobe is legacy driven, not stat driven. Very slight difference since having good stats/records can enhance your legacy. But there is a difference. Good observation, though.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore TheFrozenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force

it's always been debatable...that's why they clashed.

By 2001 Kobe was the best allaround player in the NBA and the Lakers #1`option in crunchtime/most important part of the game/4th quarter

kobe was never going to take a backseat or be the 2nd guy for anyone....granted when Shaq had a mismatch Kobe would exploit it to win...but don't get discombobulated.

Kobe was always going to be the Alpha Wolf in the pack...and was L.A.'
    s best allaround player and the leagues premiere player since 2001.

Very good NBA starter

I am not a fortune teller but I have this feeling...

Kobe will play 2 more years max. Too prideful of a man to be clear cut 3rd option or option 2b. Guy is still very marketable and he's said he wants to play in Italy. He will play in italy for 3 years. I see him done with Professional basketball by 38.