Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 LastLast
    Local High School Star BALLin01's Avatar

Default Re: Allen Iverson APPRECIATION Thread

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Thank you.

Here it is at 1:23. Check that speed out. He fell down, got back up and ran past everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI-AZQcZ0dc
    Damn I remember that play.

Default Re: AI always admired Brett Favre growing up...

Quote Originally Posted by nev3rh00d
    and Kobe will retire? cmon, be realistic.
    no, if lakers sign ai, lakers will trade kobe to ny for mobley and curry. either that or iverson will come off the bench and maybe even play some pg mins.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Question What is your favorite Iverson moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8bi...eature=related

For me. Not only was it badazz, but it epitomized the swagger prime AI had. AI believed that he could lead his team to victory and the rest of the team fed off AI's confidence. What AI did in 2001 was amazing. He took scrubs* to the finals. Very few superstars have been able to do that (Duncan, Hakeem, Barry, Lebron are some names off the top of my head). His #2 scoring option was Aaron McKie! Just look at their record without AI.

*Of course they were not "scrubs" in the literal sense. No one can take a team of 10th men to the finals. They were "scrubs" in the relative sense compared to what every other playoff team, especially the top teams had.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 11-27-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: What is your favorite Iverson moment?

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchCover
    Since when was Mutombo a 10th man? Not a surprise, everybody underrating Mutombo again, typically they are Iverson fans. Look Iverson is a great player, 1st ballot HOFer without question, but you guys need to stop hating on his teammates to prop him up, Kobe fans do the same thing, McGrady fans, all player fans do that ****.

But....
    My favorite Iverson moment was when he broke Daniels' ankles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnOcga70WM
    Way to go. He is basically trying to say that Iverson had to carry that team like no other. That's it.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchCover
    Since when was Mutombo a 10th man?But....
    My favorite Iverson moment was when he broke Daniels' ankles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnOcga70WM

Where did I say he was a 10th man? Reread the OP. I was pointing out he did not take literal "scrubs" to the finals. Literal "scrubs" would be a team of a bunch of 10th mean. He had better than that. What he had were "scrubs" relative to the competition. Aaron McKie as your #2 option? Come on... Yeah, they were good defensively but offensively AI had to carry 90% of the load.

7-time NBA All-Star

Come on, AI had a good supporting cast. That supporting cast was ideal for his style of play.

Mutombo was the defensive player of the year and the league leading rebounder. He also chipped in with 12 ppg of his own on put backs, his favorite sweeping hook and the ocassional mid-range jumper.

Aaron McKie was the 6th man of the year and he averaged 12, 4 and 5 on 47% shooting and like most of the 76ers he played solid defense.

Eric Snow averaged 10 and 7 and he played solid defense.

Tyrone Hill averaged 10 and 9 and he could hit mid-range jumper.

George Lynch averaged 8 and 7 and he was another defender.

That's the type of cast you need around AI. A bunch of tough, defensive players who don't need shots to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8bi...eature=related

For me. Not only was it badazz, but it epitomized the swagger prime AI had. AI believed that he could lead his team to victory and the rest of the team fed off AI's confidence. What AI did in 2001 was amazing. He took scrubs* to the finals. Very few superstars have been able to do that (Duncan, Hakeem, Barry are some names off the top of my head). His #2 scoring option was Aaron McKie! Just look at their record without AI.

*Of course they were not "scrubs" in the literal sense. No one can take a team of 10th men to the finals. They were "scrubs" in the relative sense compared to what every other playoff team, especially the top teams had.
    i agree this was a great moment and probably iverson's best.

oh by the way, lebron also took "scrubs" to the finals in 2007

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

I would trade Kobe's 2008 teammates for Iversons 2001 in a HEARTBEAT. That team had toughness and desire.

I think that time when he crossed Jordan was definitely his best career moment.
    Hell he crossed the GOAT. The step over Tyron Lue is close though.

All this Iverson threads make me nostalgic

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Lyin
    I would trade Kobe's 2008 teammates for Iversons 2001 in a HEARTBEAT. That team had toughness and desire.
    Larry Brown did a hell of a job with that team. They were built for AI. Their defense kept them in the game when AI went cold so when he he got hot they could pull out wins. That's the way to build around a guy who likes to shoot 25+ times per game.

Not my favorite, but underrated crossover of AI's. This crossover on my team still showed that he had some crosses left in his arsenal. It was his first game as a Piston too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQek9...related&fmt=18

National High School Star

Practice. We talkin bout practice.

Local High School Star

his retirement.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Come on, AI had a good supporting cast. That supporting cast was ideal for his style of play.

Mutombo was the defensive player of the year and the league leading rebounder. He also chipped in with 12 ppg of his own on put backs, his favorite sweeping hook and the ocassional mid-range jumper.

Aaron McKie was the 6th man of the year and he averaged 12, 4 and 5 on 47% shooting and like most of the 76ers he played solid defense.

Eric Snow averaged 10 and 7 and he played solid defense.

Tyrone Hill averaged 10 and 9 and he could hit mid-range jumper.

George Lynch averaged 8 and 7 and he was another defender.

That's the type of cast you need around AI. A bunch of tough, defensive players who don't need shots to be effective.
    What people ignore when they say "AI took a pack of scrubs to the finals" is that every team he beat didn't have great supporting casts around their superstar either. Vince had Antonio Davis and Alvin Williams as his next best players (and they barely escaped on VC's missed GW). Ray Allen had Cassell and Robinson but that team was one of the worst defensive teams in the league (so while they had flashy offensive players, they played no defense). These are teams a LOT of superstars could beat with the same supporting cast as AI. Don't confuse him "carrying scrubs to the finals" as meaning that he beat some sort of great elite teams where his cast was outmatched.