Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Grizzlies, Allen Iverson agree to part ways! Team will waive Iverson

Iverson passing up his chance to go out with a bang

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...son/index.html

Nice read here from Vince Thomas, and I agree with everything he says.

Default Re: Grizzlies, Allen Iverson agree to part ways! Team will waive Iverson

"The Grizzlies and Allen Iverson have come to a mutual agreement that because of personal matters that forced him to leave the team on Nov. 7, Allen will step away from the game at this time, allowing him to focus on those matters," Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said in a statement. "As a result, we will be ending our contractual agreement with Allen, which will allow both parties to move forward. We wish Allen the best."
    doesn't sound like a.i. will sign with anybody rite away....the above statement could be misleading tho.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    Knicks or Nets. Book it.
    They're saying that the Knicks have no interest, luckily.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks101
    They're saying that the Knicks have no interest, luckily.
    I don't see why not...Knicks are already on the way to Top 5 pick, Iverson brings in buzz and ticket sales...and if he got offensive control from D'Antoni he would get NY some wins...

This guy just flat our destroyed himself with his attitude. To be honest, even IF teams had a remote interest....I'd say its just about GONE right now given the way he handled himself in Memphis.

ONE damn game in, and he was already complaining.....and then a game or two later, he wants out?

I cant even defend that behavior at this point.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    I don't see why not...Knicks are already on the way to Top 5 pick, Iverson brings in buzz and ticket sales...and if he got offensive control from D'Antoni he would get NY some wins...
    We'll sell tickets either way. Bringing Iverson in is pointless, we aren't making the Playoffs with our without him and he'll just take shots and playing time away from our young guys and slow their development.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I guess this somewhat Karma for the Grizzlies since they signed Darius Miles last year.
    grizz didn't lose much..ai is only getting a fraction of his contract.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

there really isnt a team iverson can go to and play the way he wants is there?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

If another team picks him up pronto - I'd say Knicks or the Warriors for their running games.

But as I stated before the season started , he would be best served , if he waited till the Feb deadline , and hook up with an elite team , and play off the bench take less money , play 20 valuable minutes and win a ring.
    Any of the top championship teams have strong character players as well as coachs that could keep AI on the same page , and I really believe AI would be thrilled to complete his resume with a championship ring with any of these teams :
    Lakers
    Spurs
    Cav's
    Celtics
    Majic

Local High School Star

the funniest tenure in nba history, easily.

lilmagicjohnson
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    If another team picks him up pronto - I'd say Knicks or the Warriors for their running games.

But as I stated before the season started , he would be best served , if he waited till the Feb deadline , and hook up with an elite team , and play off the bench take less money , play 20 valuable minutes and win a ring.
    Any of the top championship teams have strong character players as well as coachs that could keep AI on the same page , and I really believe AI would be thrilled to complete his resume with a championship ring with any of these teams :
    Lakers
    Spurs
    Cav's
    Celtics
    Majic
    AI has the potential to wreck each and every one of those teams

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilmagicjohnson
    AI has the potential to wreck each and every one of those teams
    Should we refresh our memories about the Glove

NBA Finals

im sure any contender would take him if he's willing to come off the bench. i could see if it were back in his prime years when he was the ****, but he's not in thosee years anymore and he just needs to accept his role.

if he was willing to come off the bench whatever team he goes to should/would be the favorite IMO. Of course im talking contenders only though.

Hopefully He doesn't get signed by LA...

Im hoping Cavs, Celtics, or Spurs sign him...

Paging Phoenix18....

Local High School Star

Iverson is the last vestige of a foregone era of "scoring only" players. All of the other similar players have already disappeared from the league. Iverson was actually a pioneer in the art of scoring-only. Many a player emulated his singular focus and noticed that scoring is what got big contracts (still does, to some degree). None of these types of players have ever had much success. Sure, Iverson capitalized 1 year in one of the worst conferences in sports history, with a great team defense surrounding him, but overall these types of players, Iverson included have been massive career failures. The turning point was, in my opinion, 2003. That's when team success was more attributed to a unified team of players rather than being led by scoring-only players. Shortly there after, these scoring-only players went through quick, massive declines, Iverson included. His reputation has allowed him to stick around longer than the other scoring-only players, but even that has run out, thanks to incidents like this. It's an end of an era, but one that should have never happened.