Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle breakers

Default Re: Ankle breakers

I don't keep count, but I've got a few cats in my day

National High School Star

I dropped to in the last 2 years of playing that I remember. I think there was a 3rd aswell. I've only be playing bball for 2 years so yeah ... But most memorable one. I just subbed in, playing in Adelaide in FASASA, some Filipino league. The ball was on the 45* at the 3pt line, I ran up to the top of the 3 to receive the pass. Once I caught it my defender who stayed back shuffled along to get on front of me, I threw a jab step in the direction that he was shuffling, he must've thought that I was going to drive cause he took a really quick step then he realized I didn't actually take off and I saw his reaction to try to shift back the other way and he just lost it, completely on the ground, I then just one stepped and passed the other direction. He never left me alone that game and I didn't even do anything lol

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Ive had only couple in my life mostly because of my lack of confidense with my handles and being a spot up shooter.

My best one was with this crossover at the beginning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCW8z...eature=related

NBA Superstar

I did not drop him, but I wobbled my defender backward deep into the paint last week. It was one of those situations where I'd been fortunate enough throughout the game to penetrate ad nauseum. So when the time came where I thought my defender would be sitting on the dribble drive, I was able to execute an in-and-out to step back, leaving him backpedaling, crab walking and fighting himself to stay upright. Contrary to other nearly ankle breaking moves I've executed in the past, I was able to knock down the subsequent triple in this case.

Here is Tim Hardaway's dramatization of my move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kX6mQh8Yc#t=2m39s

NBA Superstar

Had another moderate to severe "wobble" last night. It came against a gangly, slow-footed 6'6'' fellow, so maybe that only half counts but I did hit the step back triple, so that felt good. Either way, I'm having a hard time getting a defender to fall down altogether. It feels like I'm playing Jenga, where the guy is teetering and teetering but somehow remains upright. It also elicited an "Aw, he got 'em dancin'!" quip from another player on the floor.

My biggest fear on the bball court is this happening to me Saw it happen to some poor white guy once and he got laughed off the court.

Guess who finally did a legit ankle breaker?? ME! Me with my awful handles managed to do it! I was one on one with some noob who was slow and fouled a lot, I did a quick first step at around 3pt line, made a couple steps and did a step back between the legs and dude just fell on his a$$ . What is more I even nailed the jumper after, even tho my mid jumper is average at best. Felt like a god damn hero after! Made 4 in a row 3s in that game too. One of the best days(basketball wise) in my life.

Watch Prime Tim Hardaway and Prime Allen Iverson on youtube.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by EoJ
    My biggest fear on the bball court is this happening to me Saw it happen to some poor white guy once and he got laughed off the court.
    Yeah, I'm a total hypocrite. I don't think it should be a big deal, yet I love when I'm able to pull it off (or to get a guy to wobble). The mob mentality reactions remain irritating to anyone who did not complete the action though. My friend had his foot stepped on by a ballhandler, leading to a fall, and people went wild despite his fall clearly not being a result of the cross. I sarcastically made fun of him afterword, but I acknowledged the lameness of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Guess who finally did a legit ankle breaker?? ME! Me with my awful handles managed to do it! I was one on one with some noob who was slow and fouled a lot, I did a quick first step at around 3pt line, made a couple steps and did a step back between the legs and dude just fell on his a$$ . What is more I even nailed the jumper after, even tho my mid jumper is average at best. Felt like a god damn hero after! Made 4 in a row 3s in that game too. One of the best days(basketball wise) in my life.
    Nicely done. Always feels good to hit the subsequent shot.

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Haven't dropped a guy since I made this thread. Got two nice stumbles though.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
    Haven't dropped a guy since I made this thread. Got two nice stumbles though.
    Me too. Back to realiy, I have to improve my handles, I cant make 5 possessions in a row as a PG without the ball hitting my leg or dropping in out of nowhere. I suck. At least the shot is as good as ever.

I figured i'd bump this thread up by saying that I have dropped two players and made a few others stumble. I predominantly use my right hand but I'm fairly average with my handles however i'm inconstant with my jumpshot. So here's the scene, I dropped the player (The first player I dropped) by using the crossover and it felt so good and I felt so proud that I shot a 3pt shot after I got the space that came from dropping him. My a$$ shouldn't shooting behind the arc and I obviously airballed the shot and so my teammates on and off the court went from going 'ohhhhhh' to 'you f*%
    Last edited by Dukem; 11-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.

NBA Superstar

[QUOTE=Dukem]I figured i'd bump this thread up by saying that I have dropped two players and made a few others stumble. I predominantly use my right hand but I'm fairly average with my handles however i'm inconstant with my jumpshot. So here's the scene, I dropped the player (The first player I dropped) by using the crossover and it felt so good and I felt so proud that I shot a 3pt shot after I got the space that came from dropping him. My a$$ shouldn't shooting behind the arc and I obviously airballed the shot and so my teammates on and off the court went from going 'ohhhhhh' to 'you f*%

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    And that is why, at one point during the And1 era, it became popular for some players to break an opponent's ankles then just throw the ball into the crowd, the epitome of lame. You did what you were supposed to. You could have easily copped out and just broken the dude off then punted the ball into traffic and walked home for the day with one triumphant fist in the air as you disappeared into the horizon. But you didn't, and I respect that.
    Thanks bud. Generally if I do something decent such as ankle breaking, i'll be like 'that move was great/amazing' and it can sometimes add to my confidence level and then I just resume playing as normal.

I did make a mistake in bricking the 3pt shot when there better options available though. The next time I caused the player to hit the deck, I dribbled into the space created and bounced passed it off to a wide open teammate in the low block for an easy two points.

Was playing 2on2 with my friends and received the ball at the 3pt line. I hate to be the ball handler and my best friend checked me, who I usually cannot surprise, but this time it worked.

I faked a behind the back cross and put the ball through my legs from the right hand to the right hand. He thought I did a behind the back and shifted to my left side. I then initiated to do an ordinary cross to the left, but he was reacting to the first move and trying to get to my right sight. At that very moment I slapped the ball back with my right hand palm to the right instead of doing the cross to the left. He reacted to the cross though and fell on the floor to my left.
    His defense was so out of sync with my moves. It looked so awkward. I never pulled off something like that and was quite surprised by myself. I hit the subsequent layup, so no bricking three for me.