Banned

Default What's a good shooting percentage from the premieter during practice?

When I'm practicing on my own and taking wide open jumpshots from the perimeter (let's say anywhere from 15-20 feet out), what would be a good shooting percentage?

I'll always take 50 shots at a time and just keep count in my head of how many I make and I usually get around 25-30 which is anywhere from 50-60% of my shots. Is this a good percentage for a shooting forward which is my position?

What percentage of wide open shots would an NBA swingman who can shoot the ball make from 15-20 feet out during practice?

Default Re: What's a good shooting percentage from the premieter during practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Rick
    When I'm practicing on my own and taking wide open jumpshots from the perimeter (let's say anywhere from 15-20 feet out), what would be a good shooting percentage?

I'll always take 50 shots at a time and just keep count in my head of how many I make and I usually get around 25-30 which is anywhere from 50-60% of my shots. Is this a good percentage for a shooting forward which is my position?

What percentage of wide open shots would an NBA swingman who can shoot the ball make from 15-20 feet out during practice?
    they probably would hit 40-45 out of 50

here's mike miller in practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyySopuuD3g

i think he only misses like 2 shots

Default Re: What's a good shooting percentage from the premieter during practice?

I'm usually around 80%, 75% for threes

How much/often do you shoot?

I've heard in an NBA broadcast that Peja drains about 95/100 from NBA range at practices.

An NBA swingman with a jumpshot would make 45+/50 from the elbow.
    Last edited by ace23; 11-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.

From a book on shooting

[QUOTE]Want to see what your shooting percentage will be in a game? Understand that you are
    normally half as effective in a game as you are when practicing alone. This usually
    occurs because of fatigue, too much tension, and the anxiety and excitement of the
    game. Try this for yourself. Take ten shots from the three-point line and see how many
    you make. Now take the makes and multiply by ten, and then divide by two. This is
    your approximate shooting percentage for a game. For example, say you made eight out
    of ten shots. If you multiply your makes by 10 (8 x 10) you get 80 and when you divide
    this number by two, you become a 40% three-point shooter. Please note that anything
    below 30% is a player that a coach doesn

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I'm usually around 80%, 75% for threes

How much/often do you shoot?

I've heard in an NBA broadcast that Peja drains about 95/100 from NBA range at practices.

An NBA swingman with a jumpshot would make 45+/50 from the elbow.
    pretty solid numbers ace, I can tell you can def hoop with them numbers.

OP, the better question is why the phuck are you taking 18.5 footers ??? step back to that 21 foot line and launch them 3 balls that's the only way you going to get better homie. What's your ft %? you should be taking more free throws then 18 footers when you practice, that much i know.

And it depends how serious you are about hoopin with the percentages. Your numbers are prolly average for an,average high school player at the SF position. Any level above , an average high school player, in terms of skill/talent. I'd say its subpar.

I'm at 97% FT, 90% highschool/college 3 point when i practice, with or without a rebounder. It doesn't matter to me.

NBA players ( guards that can shoot, so not counting the John Wall/Rondo/Evans of the world ) at FT% at practice - 90-99% FT , midrange shots that are just catch and shoots about 90% or better.

All the percentages, I've listed above are just uncontested practice catch and shoots, while at peak. When you factor in fatigue, dummy d/contested shots t, off the dribbles etc. Percentages go way down.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    From a book on shooting
    lol, what am i reading. I guess it would make sense if you were to take 100 3s and divide by two. But 10 3's, , you can't even assume a normal distribution with a sample size of 10 ( for you statistics geeks).

and there is one big thing that equation is missing SHOT SELECTION in game.

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    lol, what am i reading. I guess it would make sense if you were to take 100 3s and divide by two. But 10 3's, , you can't even assume a normal distribution with a sample size of 10 ( for you statistics geeks).

and there is one big thing that equation is missing SHOT SELECTION in game.
    Was a small passage from a book.. I'd think he'd assume in the book shot selection would be pretty good like mostly open shots.

I agree you'd be better off doing 100 than 10, I think he means you could find your level on 10 shots as in you consistently making that number out of 10.

I don't think it's supposed to be an end to all formula, but more as help in general numbers. So far that sheet actually holds up pretty well for what players on my team shoot at practice and in games.

NBA = better than 80% on 15-20 footers for almost every position and that includes casual shootaround.

Saw a basketball once

Bobbyallenskillsacademy.com