Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins vs Jabari Parker

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Well there's coach cal and his one and dones. Basically every coach has his own philosophy and some focus on winning while others try to actually develop the players for the NBA. From what I've gathered, Jabari is a good fit for either Washington or Michigan State, and Wiggins will probably head to Kentucky.
    i dont know a dont about cbb either, but if he goes to kentucky, they play pretty much no zone defense whatsoever, and are a strong defensive team, so that would definitely help wiggins learn to play nba level defense.

as opposed to going somewhere like baylor or syracuse, who play zone exclusively, and he'd learn little about nba standard man-to-man defense

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

bump just wanna know some update about these 2 ?

Banned

Bump. How things have changed...

After a year the general consensus has changed from Wiggins = Jabari, to Wiggins >> Randle > Jabari.

Wiggins looks like the clear cut #1 pick atm. Things can always change, but I don't see it happening...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Wiggins looks like the clear cut #1 pick atm. Things can always change, but I don't see it happening...
    This thread was from August '12. Wiggins is clearly much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    This thread was from August '12. Wiggins is clearly much better.

This thread is from August '12. I agree, he's a much better prospect, and I honestly find Jabari overrated. Randle, Selden, Young >>> Embiid in 2 years >>>

Whats overrated about Parker? He's not an explosive athlete but he has the ability to create his own offense and a sweet jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Whats overrated about Parker? He's not an explosive athlete but he has the ability to create his own offense and a sweet jumper.

I just think there's better players in the class that get less shine, and I think his lack of athleticism will hurt him in the NBA - he's not the NBA all star caliber player many make him out to be. I still think he'll be good at Duke, and I can't wait to see Wiggins shit all over him at the Champions Classic.

I just think there's better players in the class that get less shine, and I think his lack of athleticism will hurt him in the NBA - he's not the NBA all star caliber player many make him out to be. I still think he'll be good at Duke, and I can't wait to see Wiggins shit all over him at the Champions Classic.
    Gotcha, I've only seen the highlight videos so I'm not really trying to challenge you given how little I've seen. Just curious. So I cant wait to see him, Wiggins, Randle everyone (incl guys who dont get much attention) ball. I think I'm a Randle fan before Wiggins or Parker tho. That dude man.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I actually feel like Randle is underrated at this point too. I get the Wiggins stuff. You see him do things, and it's clear that he's got elite elite athleticism. The type of thing you only see in the very top 1% of players. But there's something about watching full games from him, even when his numbers are dominant, where I just don't feel like he's imposing himself on the game. It's hard to explain.

I like Randle because I feel like that position is not in great shape. He's like a genuine big time PF prospect the likes of which we haven't seen since Chris Webber. He's got legit size and length. And his ball skills and shooting are already pretty damn polished. He runs incredibly well, and looks like he can even step out and defend some.

I'm a Celtic fan, which means I'm required by law to love Paul Pierce, and Parker is clearly cut out of that Pierce/Melo cloth. But he is a little bigger, so maybe there's some more upside. But I am a little concerned about the slightly limited athleticism. It just doesn't always play in the NBA. I fear with guys like that you can get into a position where they're so good you can't replace them, but not good enough to truely build a contender around.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I actually feel like Randle is underrated at this point too. I get the Wiggins stuff. You see him do things, and it's clear that he's got elite elite athleticism. The type of thing you only see in the very top 1% of players. But there's something about watching full games from him, even when his numbers are dominant, where I just don't feel like he's imposing himself on the game. It's hard to explain.

I like Randle because I feel like that position is not in great shape. He's like a genuine big time PF prospect the likes of which we haven't seen since Chris Webber. He's got legit size and length. And his ball skills and shooting are already pretty damn polished. He runs incredibly well, and looks like he can even step out and defend some.
    On board the Randle train myself which is why I'm really interested to see how he matches up vs bigger, stronger just as fast kids at the collegiate level. Also guys with good bball IQ that will challenge him. Watching him in HS there are times its totally unfair the things he does. But what mind blowns me is his got damn handle. Its really good for a guy his size and he is agile as hell.

So hype about college bball its been years but I'm a Sixers fan so you know why and can understand given ur a Celtics fan.

I'm a Celtic fan, which means I'm required by law to love Paul Pierce, and Parker is clearly cut out of that Pierce/Melo cloth. But he is a little bigger, so maybe there's some more upside. But I am a little concerned about the slightly limited athleticism. It just doesn't always play in the NBA. I fear with guys like that you can get into a position where they're so good you can't replace them, but not good enough to truely build a contender around.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Really? I think he imposes himself in pretty much every way. He obviously scores a lot of points, he's a top 3 defensive player in the class, and I feel like he has more poise and composure than Randle.

Chris Weber is exactly what I've been saying. I really wish he had gone somewhere other than UK, cause he's not gonna have much time to develop his post game in that offense, but he'll still be a beast. He's easily the 2nd best in the class behind #22, him and Wiggins look like perennial NBA all stars already.

Wiggins vs. Randle at Peach Jam....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpwWYw7lvc

Wiggins vs. Randle at Peach Jam....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpwWYw7lvc
    Wiggins won that matchup. But damn Randle is strong. There is a play where he takes on like 3 defenders, finishes with the hoop and harm. Wiggins athletic ability is pretty impressive. Got damn.

Cant wait for college bball.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Really? I think he imposes himself in pretty much every way. He obviously scores a lot of points, he's a top 3 defensive player in the class, and I feel like he has more poise and composure than Randle.

Chris Weber is exactly what I've been saying. I really wish he had gone somewhere other than UK, cause he's not gonna have much time to develop his post game in that offense, but he'll still be a beast. He's easily the 2nd best in the class behind #22, him and Wiggins look like perennial NBA all stars already.

I think what you're calling poise and composure, I'm maybe reading as a bit of a dead motor (which is an overstatement, but I'm not sure how else to express it). And I know I'm not the only person who's wondered about Wiggins' motor, although some of the criticism I've read has been downright sad in it's attacking of the kid, where I feel like I just can't correctly express what feels like a kind of malaise at times. That game you posted was great though, where you could see his juices get flowing competing with Randle.

Wiggins is a great defender at this level, but much of it seems to rely on his athleticism. He seems to drift in and out. He's a good passer, but not transcendent.

I think the thing that gets me is the Lebron name being thrown around so much. "Best prospect since Lebron". That may be true, but unlike Lebron, I actually want to see this kid play a season in college before I make my final decision. When the athleticism evens out a bit (and it won't ever be even, because he's just that gifted physically), will what looks to me like malaise at the HS level be more of a lapse of focus that he can't cover for.
    That sort of focus issue has been a problem for many a kid his age. And when the Lebron thing gets thrown around, I think that's where the problem stems from, because what set Lebron apart were two things, one he was physically gifted pretty much beyond anyone else, and he seemed hyper engaged. Granted it was more in the Magic Johnson gregerious mold, rather than the Jordan, or Russell, pathalogical mold, but still, he was engaged in the game as a young kid in a way that just isn't normal, and Wiggins often times I just don't see that.

All that said what he brings to the table athletically and skill set wise, particularly regarding what is the foundation of his jumper, which looks awesome, he'd still almost certainly be my top pick.
    Howeverrrrrr ... if he does have moments at Kansas that question his focus a bit, and I've already got a top flight wing on my roster as a bad team (which frankly I can't think of one at the moment), I still feel like Randle's 6-9, 250 lb frame, with what is by all accounts plus plus athleticism, and a pretty damn refined skill set himself, I can see a team preferring him. I don't see the gap as that huge. Especially if I'm right and Randle is a bit out of shape from being injured his senior year, and he winds up looking better as a real program like Kentucky starts prepping him as a pro prospect. Whereas Wiggins, I'm not sure what he can do at Kansas to look better as a prospect than he already does.

And like you said, everyone, including Parker, just looks to be a notch below these two guys.