Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Default Why is E Gordon getting paid MAX?

Watched him today 1st time and he got 17 points but never took control of the game

Passionless play... Why is he getting paid max money?

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Default Re: Why is E Gordon getting paid MAX?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    Watched him today 1st time and he got 17 points but never took control of the game

Passionless play... Why is he getting paid max money?
    He doesn't want to play for New Orleans. Suns offered him a contract and he told NO not to match, but he was a RFA and they matched the offer.

He was a pretty good 2nd option when on Clippers.

They should've let him walk. Kept Noel. Not signed Tyreke. And tanked this season to add another prospect.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    They should've let him walk. Kept Noel. Not signed Tyreke. And tanked this season to add another prospect.
    This...Holiday/evans/aminu doesnt come to me as a winning group

Stupid move by NO, why would you match max $$ to a guy who blatantly said he wants out!
    Fine he's a RFA and all, but now you're stuck paying max to a guy who doesn't give a fu*k

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Stupid move by NO, why would you match max $$ to a guy who blatantly said he wants out!
    Fine he's a RFA and all, but now you're stuck paying max to a guy who doesn't give a fu*k
    It was a terrible signing, but they kind of had to.

This all goes back to the horrible Stern veto that ****ed the Pelicans. They got back Gordon and a pick. That pick became Austin Rivers which is worthless.

Then they got Gordon. How could they ever sell fans on the CP3 trade on any level if they let Gordon walk for nothing. That would have essentially given them Aminu and Austin Rivers for CP3!!!

So they were stuck having to sign an over-rated as **** player to a terrible contract.

Stern ****ed the Pelicans.

They would be so much better off as a franchise right now if that initial trade had gone through. It opened up much more flexibility....and, contrary to popular belief, they were going to then move most of the players they got in that trade.

The only silver lining was the dumb luck the Pelicans had in which Gordon only played 9 games in 2012 which allowed them to get Davis. Dumb luck saved them in many ways, but then they ****ed up that luck by trading Noel and signing Evans.

Terrible decision making.

Imagine this team with Dragic/Davis/Noel...and then getting a top 5 pick in the draft this coming summer...with a ton of cap room as well.

What a future...

College superstar

Anthony Davis' future looks bleak with the type of perimeter players they're putting around him.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The new CBA gives teams 2 options once a guy signs an offer sheet; let him walk and get nothing or match. And lets be real -- this was the biggest asset they received for trading CP3 you know the front office was high on him. So what do you gain by letting him go?

The smart move here was obviously to re-sign him because:

1) to have a player who can take the pressure to score off Davis while he is developing, and
    2) who can also be turned around for a better fitting asset if it doesn't work out.

His value has definitely diminished with all the injury concerns over the last couple years, but if he proves himself to be healthy I could very easily see him ending up in Detroit by the end of the year for Monroe or Smith.
    Last edited by 2LeTTeRS; 11-13-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Couldn't disagree with you more. The new CBA gives teams 2 options once a guy signs an offer sheet; let him walk and get nothing or match. And lets be real; seeing that this was the biggest asset they received for trading CP3 you know the front office was high on him; so what do you gain by letting him go?

I say the smart move was to re-sign him both to have a player who can take the pressure to score off Anthony Davis while he is developing, who can also be turned around for a nice asset.

His value has definitely diminished with all the injury concerns over the last few years, but if he proves himself to be healthy I could very easily see him ending up in Detroit by the end of the year for Monroe or Smith.
    I agree that they had to sign him because you can't just get Aminu and Rivers for CP3...

But it's a no win situation. They had to sign an over-rated as **** player to a terrible contract...which really hurts in this CBA. Think about the difference.

Kevin Martin is every bit as good as Gordon...and Martin is making 6.5 million per season while Gordon makes 15 million. Even worse, the Pelicans originally had Martin in that initial trade. The Pelicans, if they had tried to keep them, would have been the front runners to sign Dragic and Martin after the 12 season.

Like I said before, this team is horribly built now...no flexibility, the worst possible position to be in as a fringe playoff contender.

The only hope, as you say, is for Gordon to have a good first half of the year and the Pelicans trade him. But, like I said, I bet they are too stubborn to move him...even though they should jump at any chance to get rid of that clown.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

thats the cop out advice for every team that isnt a lock for a playoff spot this year

this is a deep draft, but 20 teams cant just throw away a season, there arent that many franchise changing prospects in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Couldn't disagree with you more. The new CBA gives teams 2 options once a guy signs an offer sheet; let him walk and get nothing or match. And lets be real; seeing that this was the biggest asset they received for trading CP3 you know the front office was high on him; so what do you gain by letting him go?

I say the smart move was to re-sign him both to have a player who can take the pressure to score off Anthony Davis while he is developing, who can also be turned around for a nice asset.

His value has definitely diminished with all the injury concerns over the last few years, but if he proves himself to be healthy I could very easily see him ending up in Detroit by the end of the year for Monroe or Smith.
    Problem is he won't show he's healthy or motivated unless they sit him down and say they're shopping him around so step up if he really wants out..
    If that's there plan great, they've already got tyreke..

I don't agree with the whole losing for nothing argument either, cause they could have gotten something better for max $$ IMO. Plus why would Davis want to stick around with the complete shit they've surrounded him with.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93

thats the cop out advice for every team that isnt a lock for a playoff spot this year

this is a deep draft, but 20 teams cant just throw away a season, there arent that many franchise changing prospects in it.

This, please no more tanking

This, please no more tanking
    So you want your franchise to pay guys a ton of money that aren't worth it just so you can win 15 more regular season games and be a fringe playoff team while hurting your team long term?

Makes no sense. Tanking really wouldn't even accurately describe what they would be doing.

It would be called rebuilding. Seriously...why spend 45 plus million per year on Gordon, Evans, Holiday, and Andersen if your team is at best going to get the 8th seed and lose in the first round? Especially with little to no chance to get much better anywhere else on the roster with all those guys...

Think about it. What is the ceiling of this current roster over the next 3 years? 1 playoff series win? That just isn't worth it. And then you have to pay Davis the max in 3 years and the entire team will be shaken up and be different.

So what good are these 3 years of being average at best? They hurt your draft status, you don't develop many players that will be there long term when the team is actually making a run, and you kill your cap space as well.

Just bad team management.

Problem is he won't show he's healthy or motivated unless they sit him down and say they're shopping him around so step up if he really wants out..
    If that's there plan great, they've already got tyreke..

I don't agree with the whole losing for nothing argument either, cause they could have gotten something better for max $$ IMO. Plus why would Davis want to stick around with the complete shit they've surrounded him with.
    You think the team around him is s[COLOR="Black"]hi[/COLOR]t? I like the roster a lot. Holiday is slumping right now; but I see him as a pretty good young point guard whose slow start is an abberration.

Once he gets himself going and Evans and Anderson get healthy I see this team as good enough to make the playoffs. Maybe I'm wrong but a team with Davis plus 3 guys on the perimeter with the potential to become all-stars if they work on their shortcomings (i.e. shooting for Evans and Holiday, health for Gordon) sounds like a recipe for success.

Well you can thank our previous GM...
    I'm so relieved we didn't sign E.J in the end.

Ryan McDonough so far is doing a terrific job.