Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Roseanne the greatest sitcom of all time?

Not saying it was the best but I did enjoy Frazier when ever I did catch an episode

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Not saying it was the best but I did enjoy Frazier when ever I did catch an episode
    Frasier was a great show, really funny, it did get kind of shitty towards the end though. I'd place with Cheers right behind shows like AD and Seinfeld.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    No, John Goodman alone trumps Married with Children, which was a good show, at least in the beginning, and then turned into shit.
    No he doesn't.

Top 10 sitcoms between 1985 and 1995.

Cosby Show
    Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Seinfield
    Martin
    Married With Children
    Cheers
    Roseanne
    A Different World
    Family Matters
    Who's the Boss

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    No he doesn't.

Top 10 sitcoms between 1985 and 1995.

Cosby Show
    Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Seinfield
    Martin
    Married With Children
    Cheers
    Roseanne
    A Different World
    Family Matters
    Who's the Boss
    Your list just rendered your opinion invalid. Family matters? Really?! That was the biggest piece of shit ever. One of the corniest shows with the worst writing I've ever seen. Who's the Boss? 80's shit. Martin? Ok, fun little show, offered little. Goodman and Roseanne destroy most of those crappy shows. Fresh prince was a terrific show in its first couple years and then got retarded with horrible plots.

Your list just rendered your opinion invalid. Family matters? Really?! That was the biggest piece of shit ever. One of the corniest shows with the worst writing I've ever seen. Who's the Boss? 80's shit. Martin? Ok, fun little show, offered little. Goodman and Roseanne destroy most of those crappy shows. Fresh prince was a terrific show in its first couple years and then got retarded with horrible plots.
    Family Matters was great until it's last few seasons when it stopped being about the family and all about Urkel's adventures. With Who's The Boss I was drawing a blank. It was between Punky Brewster or the Boss, lol.

Banned

Cosby Show
    Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Seinfield
    Married With Children
    Cheers
    Roseanne
    Who's the Boss

<insert canyon sized gap here>

<and now some shows which shouldnt be mentioned in the same post as the ones above>
    A Different World
    Family Matters

Martin

Family Matters was great until it's last few seasons when it stopped being about the family and all about Urkel's adventures. With Who's The Boss I was drawing a blank. It was between Punky Brewster or the Boss, lol.
    It was hilariously retarded. Dude, c'mon, you cannot seriously compare this puerile tripe to something like Roseanne, or Seinfeld, or Cheers, or Frasier. All of those shows are fantastic, well written shows. Family Matters could have been written by a mental patient for all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapallaz
    Cosby Show
    Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Seinfield
    Married With Children
    Cheers
    Roseanne
    Who's the Boss
    <and now some shows which shouldnt be mentioned in the same post as the ones above>
    A Different World
    Family Matters
    Martin
    Martin must be last because he dressed up as two woman on his show, Shenana and mama Payne.

Family Matters was black full house, Martin was just another cookie cutter sitcom, Who's the Boss was a mediocre 80's sitcom, can't compare this stuff to the true greats.

Seinfeld
    AD
    Cheers Roseanne Frasier
    Scrubs

Banned

Martin must be last because he dressed up as two woman on his show, Shenana and mama Payne.
    No, because it was not funny, incredibly overacted, incredibly bad acting, writing, scripting and one of those shows where you could tell what the rest of the episode would be like after 2 seconds. That's why. You tell us why Martin deserves to be ranked with those other shows, please? Why would anybody rank it over The Larry Sanders Show? Heck, there's probably enough reasons to list Step by Step higher than that. Full House deserves to be listed over Martin as well. Didn't like it myself though. The Nanny has a good case here. Frasier actually IS 10x the show that Martin was. Screenplay, acting, plot, overall much better.

No, because it was not funny, incredibly overacted, incredibly bad acting, writing, scripting and one of those shows where you could tell what the rest of the episode would be like after 2 seconds. That's why. You tell us why Martin deserves to be ranked with those other shows, please? Why would anybody rank it over The Larry Sanders Show? Heck, there's probably enough reasons to list Step by Step higher than that. Full House deserves to be listed over Martin as well. Didn't like it myself though. The Nanny has a good case here. Frasier actually IS 10x the show that Martin was. Screenplay, acting, plot, overall much better.
    People need to stop listing horrible 80's shows like who's the Boss and Step by step and 90's cookie cutter shit like martin. There was a 100 shows like Martin, this one just happened to have Martin Lawrence.

Banned

People need to stop listing horrible 80's shows like who's the Boss and Step by step and 90's cookie cutter shit like martin. There was a 100 shows like Martin, this one just happened to have Martin Lawrence.
    I guess people just turned on the TV to see mediocre actors do exactly what they expected them to do and say what they expected them to say for about 30 minutes, makes it easier to recite among friends over and over to make it a catchphrase. Upon which shows like Martin thrived.

I guess people just turned on the TV to see mediocre actors do exactly what they expected them to do and say what they expected them to say for about 30 minutes, makes it easier to recite among friends over and over to make it a catchphrase. Upon which shows like Martin thrived.
    Seriously. Why anyone would ever want to watch some of these shows is beyond me. The actually transcendent shows like AD, Seinfeld, Roseanne, Cheers, Frasier, and Scrubs brought something unique to the table. Seinfeld and AD flipped television on its head, they're both hugely influential. AD's influence is easily seen in television today. Both Cheers and Frasier were brilliantly well written comedies which strayed from formulaic sitcoms. Scrubs was a great show which balanced comedic and heartfelt moments brilliantly.

Decent college freshman

I'm happy to see Roseanne gets its due in this thread even though I don't think it's the greatest sitcom. I always feel it gets overlooked but that maybe cause I'm from a urban environment. Roseanne tackled serious issues and problems often glossed over by other tv programs with bittersweet wit. Still there aren't many shows that feature blue collar white "trash" families without devolving completely to caricature the way Roseanne was able to do.