Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Have We Seriously Overrated Ricky Rubio????

Quote Originally Posted by stewen12
    true. i hate when people say that Olympic Play doesnt mean anyhting. We'll it gives us the general idea. He had some good hustle. He has nice game but overated as the next pete maravich. He was playing against the best players in the worst and being defended by some of the best defenders in the world
    Maravich was a dominant scorer, when he was the same age as Ricky Rubio, and i think Rubio need a better training if he want to be a Superstar in the NBA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Maravich was a dominant scorer, when he was the same age as Ricky Rubio, and i think Rubio need a better training if he want to be a Superstar in the NBA.
    its a bad comparison...he doesnt play like Maravich...

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    its a bad comparison...he doesnt play like Maravich...

The Next Gary Payton because i check his stats in College, and he was already a terrific defender before the Sonics drafted him in the 1990 NBA Draft.

He plays like a bigger Tony Parker when he entered the league.

yeah he does he should wait until he is like 20-21 years to enter his name in the draft he athletically inferior to USA pgs like CP3 i cant wait to c what Jennings does to him i really dont c how rubio is going to contain Brandon Jennings 42in Vertical Jump

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    yeah he does he should wait until he is like 20-21 years to enter his name in the draft he athletically inferior to USA pgs like CP3 i cant wait to c what Jennings does to him i really dont c how rubio is going to contain Brandon Jennings 42in Vertical Jump
    That kind of statement is exactly why I like Ricky Rubio.

I'm sick of hearing about how high a guy can jump, how tall he is, how big his wingspan is, how hard he dunks, how fast he moves etc.
    Rubio in many ways is the anti-prospect, he doesnt stand out in any of those ways, he just plays smart, leads his team, focusses on D, and wins games. All the things top prospects usually lack, and exactly what I want for my team if I'm picking.

Maravich was never a good comparison, the guy he reminds me of instead is the one I have as my avatar: John Stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    That kind of statement is exactly why I like Ricky Rubio.

I'm sick of hearing about how high a guy can jump, how tall he is, how big his wingspan is, how hard he dunks, how fast he moves etc.
    Rubio in many ways is the anti-prospect, he doesnt stand out in any of those ways, he just plays smart, leads his team, focusses on D, and wins games. All the things top prospects usually lack, and exactly what I want for my team if I'm picking.

Maravich was never a good comparison, the guy he reminds me of instead is the one I have as my avatar: John Stockton.
    wow john stockton the more and more i think about it the more and more it makes sense they can both pass very well but dont really do anything spectular they cant jump. I can c rubio ask a stockton best case scenario. PPL kept saying he was Pistol Pete who average 44pts in LSU so i was hella confused when this cat only scored 1pt against China, and doesnt seem to be any type of a scorer. John Stockton i like that

Here we go again with ISH members changing their opinions based on what they last saw.

The ability to reason isn't your forte is it?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    He plays like a bigger Tony Parker when he entered the league.
    I think this is an interesting comparison, because Parker couldn't shoot well either when he entered the league and can't jump any higher than Rubio. He was quicker, but also a bit smaller.

The two most important things for Rubio IMO are:
    -Improve his overall scoring ability, develop some go-to moves like Parker did with his spin moves, tear drops etc.
    -Change the form on his jumpshot, it's horrible.

His defense will be fine, as will his playmaking ability, but he will not be effective without some scoring and shooting ability.

Not looking at best/worst cases, but just at my expectations of most probable, I'd say that he becomes a player of Tony Parker's impact, emphasis on impact and not necessarily playing style.

By the way, Calderon has been mentioned; I don't think people realize how much of a disaster he is on the defensive side of the game. Both seeing him play at Toronto and the NT and looking at 82games.com confirm this. His ineffectiveness on the defensive side is enough to make all the "one of X players to shoot X FG% etc." make rather pointless. He has absolutely nothing on Rubio outside of shooting, which of course is very important and make him the better NBA player right now.

People who think he'll be as good as CP3, D-Will, Nash, Bird, and Pistol Pete are all delusional.

Besides that, the kid shows potential. My guess is he turns out to be a Jason Williams type player, minus the fastbreak 3 pnt attempts.

The Spanish White Chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket

You know Stockton could shoot right?

Stockton also played fundamental basketball. He made high percentage plays, and high percentage passes.

From what I've seen of Rubio he can't shoot, and makes a lot of risky passes.

After reading this thread, I'd say that very few people here can objectively judge Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    The Spanish White Chocolate.
    He already exists:

The internet has seen this before. If youtube had the penetration that it has now when Sergio was coming up, he would have been a top 5 pick.

What does "we," mean, by the way.

Let the kid play, mature, and work on his game. He looks like he could be special at times, but who knows at this point in his career how good, bad, or disappointing he will be.

My quick analysis:

Sees the court and can handle the ball well, but his half-court speed was a bit slow vs our guards (17 vs NBA Star, or just slow??) at times- This "should" improve as he gets stronger.

Has good form on his shot- motion and release, but needs more arc- something that can be improved through practice.

Has good feet and lateral movement on D, but he is not tenacious and gives up to go for a swipe or steal, letting his man get by him- can be improved through dedication to D. (He will not get significant time on a good team if this does not improve.)

I expect that he plays the game a lot better than the sorry-ass guys who attack him like they know what the F they are talking about.

I think that whenever somebody posts or starts a thread, their team and player loyalty should be visible for everyone to look at. I don't know most of the individual loyalties or specific posters, but so many threads are put out by guys who are not looking for any real debate on the matter.

Most thread like this are from guys who think a favorite player or team of theirs will be challenged/diminished in some way by the player/team they criticize, or by someone who has something against international ball vs U.S. ball, or today's game vs the game of previous eras.

The OP should have been honest about the thread- it should have read:

"I think Rubio sucks.. What do you think?"

..."He was just 17, and you know what I mean..."

The Next Gary Payton because i check his stats in College, and he was already a terrific defender before the Sonics drafted him in the 1990 NBA Draft.
    gtfo... really