Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Mock Draft

Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by disco
    I haven't seen the guy play, but from what I've read I think he should be a solid college PF and very good fit for Big East. Will be interesting to see him play against Louisville's Samuels.
    They're too very different styles. Gates is more that rugged Big East pf while Samuels has more skill. I think Gates will have the better college career, Samuels the better pro.

Look out for Dejuan Blair, he's a 6'7" sophomore center, but he's explosive, plays with heart and should put up some solid numbers for Pitt.

Good High School Starter

Blair is a lot like Joey Dorsey, Udonis Haslem, Reggie Evans, Ryan Gomes, and Sam Clancy. I don't know where on that list he might fall, but guys like him are perfect 2nd rounders. You probably won't get much more than a decent role players, but you might get a decent player.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Blair is not close in terms of athlecticism compared with Dorsey. Hes small but ussed his body well with soft touch. He will struggle to stay in the NBA. Solid college player though.

Saw a basketball once

I know it is way early but this year's draft right now has more questions than answers. Here are a few of my top questions

1)How overrated is Ricky Rubio?-probably the most overrated prospect in history there is zero reason to rate him above anyone at this point. One site even has him as the second pick in the 2010 draft behind John Wall. Having him #1 overall right now is pretty much a joke sure you have Derrick Rose and Allen Iverson but normally the #1 pick in the draft is a PF or Center so despite Rose last year history is not on Rubio side.

2)How good are the freshman? Mullens, Monroe, Derozan, Holiday, Samuels, and Drew Gordon. First off make no mistake about it if Mullens or Monroe have good seasons giving there size don't be surprised if these two are picked in the top three (Blake Griffin being a top 3 lock). But the other four are mysteries Derozan is a prototypical NBA SG someone with a need at the 2 will take early. Holiday is better than Rubio. But Samuels and Gordon are more interesting. To me they are the Kevin Love's of this year (although both are better athletes by far than Love). Scouts said love was to short to big to slow but his play made him a top 5 pick. Samuels looks like a monster at Louisville and is already a better player than Love. Gordon looks a lot like Blake Griffin physicallly and he is a monster athlete as well if Gordon plays well he could shoot up the boards.

3)Can Blake Griffin establish himself as the first clear cut #1 pick? It seems like every year since Lebron was drafted teams are wondering who to take. Blake Griffin has the best chance to establish himself as the consensus #1 pick. If he plays to his potential and he measures out well (hght wingspan) there is no reason for anyone to pass on him. So far in two exhibition games he has looked like a man among boys. If he continues that play throughout the season and is closer to Amare's height than David West's height he will be to good to pass up.
    Last edited by tbp82; 11-12-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Watch Jerel McNeal.

Love his game.

Good High School Starter

TBP, I respect your opinion, but why shouldn't Rubio be picked in front of these guys? Is he too small? Too slow? Not enough potential? Can't play D? Can't shoot? What is it about him that makes him overrated?

I also think that you forgot about a few freshman. I think you mention most of the top freshman, including a couple darkhorse guys, but I don't think anyone can overlook Wake Forest's trio. Aminu is certainly the #1 guy, and should be in or near the lottery this year, but Woods and Walker have a ton of potential as well. I think Woods is maybe only 6-9 or 6-10, but he could be a handfull inside. In a year or two I think we could be talking about him well inside the 1st round. Walker needs to fill out, but if he is a legit 7-0, he could shoot up the draft boards for the '10 or '11 draft. He has lottery potential if he pans out.

And I know this is kind of a down year for freshman compared to last season, but I am surprised that everyone seems to be overlooking Chris Singleton from FSU. I'm not sure he is more than a 2nd rounder at this point, but if he develops a shot in the next couple years, this guys has star potential. I'm not sure I want to use the comparison, but I don't understand how Davon Jefferson could get so much love on here, but Singleton gets none. Also Xavier Gibson could be something if he fills out. I don't know how great he could be, but I could see an NBA backup with work.

And Bizaro, I agree that McNeal is fun to watch, and is better in terms of NBA potential than James ever was, but at 6-3 he is really go to have have a special senior season. He is great on D, makes plays, and is really athletic, but in order to make the NBA I think he is going to have to learn to shoot better, and just overall be a more consistant scorer and playmaker. I could see him in a Luther Head or Tony Allen roll though. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to see a team grab him in the first half of the 2nd round to improve their depth at guard. I could see teams like Toronto or Miami giving him a shot.
    Last edited by monthh; 11-15-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    A good comparison for Griffin is Carlos Boozer. A little more athletic, but both are good in the low post, can hit the midrange J, and are undersized.
    since when is 6'10", 250 lbs undersized?...

Quote Originally Posted by Efunk7
    since when is 6'10", 250 lbs undersized?...
    You're kidding yourself if you really think Griffin is 6'10". Remember how tall Beasley was listed and then came out 6'7"? Griffin isn't taller than 6'9" in shoes.

Saw a basketball once

Why shouldn't Rubio be ranked above these guys?

1)History isn't on his side. Point Guards typically do not go #1 in the draft even though it can happen.

2)Slightly slow. He didn't impress me at all in the olympics. Sure he is young but I just don't see him making that Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash Level. He might but I doubt it.

3)His jumper doesn't look that good. It looks no better than Kidd's but Kidd had the speed and strength to get to the basket I don't think Rubio does. Also to me it looks like he doen't jump at all on his jumper. I could see him struggling bad with long defenders of the NBA.

In conclusion, if I was a team and I was set at every position and needed a point guard I would take a look at Rubio and still might not take him. I personally just don't see it with him. He looks like he might make a nice player maybe even reaching Jose Calderon's level but not a top overall pick in the draft pick #6 or lower go ahead look at him pick #5 or higher I can name 10 players right now I'd rather have.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

jennings > rubio

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Who here thinks Kenny George might get drafted?

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Sorry for the double post...
    Last edited by supersmashbros; 11-17-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

i agree jennings > Rubio

People are underestimating on brandon jennings, this kids a future nba allstar lock! he is a top 3 pick talent... he is a future top 5 pg in the league

paul
    dwill
    drose
    bjennings
    devin harris

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros
    Who here thinks Kenny George might get drafted?
    I wouldn't think so seeing as how he's out for the season with a partially amputated foot