Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Certified ISHiot.

Default Re: Music Appreciation Rounds 1-3 Analysis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Denali
    Strowshow's picks were determined by the fact that they were the only 3 musicians he could name

i'm no musical genius by any stretch of the imagination, but i know my fair share about hiphop. i like my group, nas+prem+az would be dope. not sure why you would hate on that lineup.

Fitness Made Simple ManlyStanley69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denali
    dasher your the idea for this thread was good but you let in some terrible drafters that ruined the whole thing.

J$ and Manly Stanley made gimmick picks, Strowshow's picks were determined by the fact that they were the only 3 musicians he could name, and Doomsday picked Bobby Digital as the 8th overall musician in the musical draft.

thats just awful dude. come on. why were these people allowed to draft???
    [COLOR="Magenta"]I'm a general manager and I am concerned with success. My group combined has sold hundreds of millions of records. Success is not a gimmick.[/COLOR]

I have a couple of comments.

Vapid is really on his way to creating a very solid All Star classic rock band. There are a few other posters who have taken this route (ryantheporchkid, kingpala), but vapid's really sticks out to me.

Boozehound has created a pretty freaky line up so far. It's a good one though, because Duane, Corea and Pastorius are all studs. He has one of the groups with the overall highest quality.

The guys going for jazz line ups all have solid picks, but I also have to say that it's probably the easiest route to take.

I put my own group in the Heretik/Dasher category. Definately guys with potential, but they need a few more rounds before everything really starts to come together.

There are some artists who I had pegged for the first round that were not picked. David Bowie, Brian Wilson, Bruce Springstein, Frank Sinatra, and a certain Latin guitarist not only being skipped in the first round, but not being picked at all warrants a wow...just wow. I also figured someone was going to put together a girl group, but then I realized this is an estrogen deficient board.

Fitness Made Simple ManlyStanley69's Avatar

[COLOR="Magenta"]Latinos and Asians have been sh**ted on in this draft. Blacks and whites are definitely running things.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4

i'm no musical genius by any stretch of the imagination, but i know my fair share about hiphop. i like my group, nas+prem+az would be dope. not sure why you would hate on that lineup.
    the only thing wrong with that lineup is that we already know what it would sound like

typical nas verse + typical AZ verse [as much as i love AZ, he hasn't evolved at all since '92] + a typical premo beat

we've heard it before

With a hip hop group you could have approached it like you were making an album. Select the main artist be it rapper or producer, get a couple of featured singers and/or rappers, or possibly get a rapper and draft a live band Roots-style to surround him/her with.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by hito da god
    the only thing wrong with that lineup is that we already know what it would sound like

typical nas verse + typical AZ verse [as much as i love AZ, he hasn't evolved at all since '92] + a typical premo beat

we've heard it before
    we've heard it before in small quantities, but never an entire album, and what they have made together is greatness. what's wrong with choosing proven success? if these guys were actually a group in their primes they would have been ****ing awesome.

we've heard it before in small quantities, but never an entire album, and what they have made together is greatness. what's wrong with choosing proven success? if these guys were actually a group in their primes they would have been ****ing awesome.
    It actually would not be that musically interesting. Like hito said it has been done before. Nas could have been paired with Organized Noize, prime Beats by the Pound, Dan tha Automator, DJ Shadow, RjD2, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Mannie Fresh, Prince Paul, and many others. The Primo, Nas, and AZ stable is stale because it has been done before. Putting them together would be like drafting RZA, Raekwon, and Ghost.

Put yr guns up

I don't know about that. With the way McCartney & Harrison have fallen in the draft, someone could have easily recreated the Beatles (and possibly add an elite guitarist and a better drummer to the fold), but what would have been the point? We all know the Beatles were great, it kind of defeats the purpose of the draft IMO.

Like others said, you can add a different rapper, producer, or some live musicians to make it a little more interesting.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    There are some artists who I had pegged for the first round that were not picked. David Bowie, Brian Wilson, Bruce Springstein, Frank Sinatra, and a certain Latin guitarist not only being skipped in the first round, but not being picked at all warrants a wow...just wow. I also figured someone was going to put together a girl group, but then I realized this is an estrogen deficient board.
    Yeah There are a lot of big names that have fallen off. Brian wilson would be great just as a songwriter (Love petsound sto this day). That being said, I went for overall talent and compatability with my style (which wont be apparent for another round or so). So far, everyone I want is still available. Funny thing, even though Duane Allman was my childhood idol and IMO the most emotive guitarist ever, I was gonna go a different direction but my first pick was snapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by SCY
    I don't know about that. With the way McCartney & Harrison have fallen in the draft, someone could have easily recreated the Beatles (and possibly add an elite guitarist and a better drummer to the fold), but what would have been the point? We all know the Beatles were great, it kind of defeats the purpose of the draft IMO.

Like others said, you can add a different rapper, producer, or some live musicians to make it a little more interesting.
    **** draft bootsy and future man to add to thebeats. plus bootsy can do his little vocal fill thing.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    It actually would not be that musically interesting. Like hito said it has been done before. Nas could have been paired with Organized Noize, prime Beats by the Pound, Dan tha Automator, DJ Shadow, RjD2, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Mannie Fresh, Prince Paul, and many others. The Primo, Nas, and AZ stable is stale because it has been done before. Putting them together would be like drafting RZA, Raekwon, and Ghost.
    eh, ok. i will agree to disagree. to me it is not stale because an album with these 3 has never actually been done before, plus it would be fire. i would rather pair nas and az with premo than any of those other producers. i thought people were going to love this group honestly. oh well.

i'll go ahead and draft more rappers, maybe it won't be so "stale".

eh, ok. i will agree to disagree. to me it is not stale because an album with these 3 has never actually been done before, plus it would be fire. i would rather pair nas and az with premo than any of those other producers. i thought people were going to love this group honestly. oh well.

i'll go ahead and draft more rappers, maybe it won't be so "stale".
    I think in adraft with more hip hop cats this group would get more recogniztion. But since we seem to have mostly rockers and jazz/fusion./funk cats, it may go unnoticed. **** I really only know nas outta that group. can you tell the last rap album I bought was raising hell? Not really, but not too far off. what about bringing in a great producer or arranger from another genre? I know you said you dont know much outside of HH, but a guy like brian wilson (while insane) would throw this off kilter enough without ruining it to make it a truly unique sound.

That being said, you cant really win a draft IMO. Its mostly an opportunity to see the different combinations people come up with and it tells you a little about them as a person as well as their musical background. Its been fun if a little too slow in the process.

You should add soulja boy.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    **** draft bootsy and future man to add to thebeats. plus bootsy can do his little vocal fill thing.
    Guys like Tito Puente and Benny Benjamin would also be good on the drums. Guys like a prime George Clinton, Phil Spector, Linda Perry, Gloria Estefan,and Trent Reznor would give the beats a different element and force the rappers to step out of their style and possibly produce greatness.

To Stro:Were you a fan of The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust? Trent Reznor an Industrial Musician produced that record for Saul Williams. Masterworks like that is what happens when people are gently nudged away from their Premo, Salaam Remi comfort zones.