Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: British dude schools Devin Harris in 1 on 1

At first I was wondering what the big deal was. I mean wow, he shot over him, big deal.

And then...

lol, funny vid.

That was a Woody Harrelson (sp?) White Men Can't Jump style hustle.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    Color me unimpressed. I scored on an NBA player before. They're really not as invincible as many think and if they were playing a full game, going to like 12, as soon as dude missed I doubt he would even get the ball back because he'd have no chance staying in front of DH
    Seriously. Elite levels is more than about scoring every once in awhile. You see Will Chandler throw a dunk down on Jermain O'Neal? I've scored on that guy coutnless times. As well as a few other NBA players.

I found this video of streetball.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5591f...eature=related

No wonder he could do that if he

Learning to shoot layups CrowninMe's Avatar

Default Devin Harris gets owned by guy in a sweater

This video is hilarious. Just for the fact that an NBA player can get owned like this by some random guy off the street. Devin, you got owned!!!! hahhahhah. love it.
    http://hoopsoup.com/2008/10/13/rando...-devin-harris/

Milkman
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Devin Harris gets owned by guy in a sweater

Shaq got traded to Miami!

Very good NBA starter

and kg's going to boston!

this just in. . .men have penises

[QUOTE=dhenk]I found this video of streetball.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5591f...eature=related

No wonder he could do that if he
    Last edited by stax; 10-14-2008 at 04:08 AM.

Pretty funny.

Play the game to 21 and let's see what happens though.

Quote Originally Posted by stax
    cancerous clownball. bunch of idiots worshipping false idols and copying moves verbatim without really understanding them. thankfully that stupid fad is finally dying here in britain. british basketball was already 20 years behind everyone else, i think those mixtapes and streetball.co.uk set us back another 10. thanks And1!
    AND1 set US ball back as well.

Promoting style over substance.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Sneak's Avatar

cancerous clownball. bunch of idiots worshipping false idols and copying moves verbatim without really understanding them. thankfully that stupid fad is finally dying here in britain. british basketball was already 20 years behind everyone else, i think those mixtapes and streetball.co.uk set us back another 10. thanks And1!
    Have you watched much of the Streetball.co.uk stuff? Most of the guys featured are legit ballers who like to have fun at summer runs etc. Streetball Extreme did infinitely more damage, yeah the Streetball.co.uk guys like to do tricks etc, but at least they did them within the rules of the game, none of this travelling, carrying, crip walking, double dribbling hotsauce And1 stuff.

Basketball is behind in the UK because it doesn't have a big profile, not because Streetball.co.uk put some videos up on the internet of guys embarassing people. Greg Tanner has done more than the majority of people will ever do to raise the profile of basketball in the UK.

Bogus.

Style and Substance can perfectly coexist besides one another.

its not even a question of style vs substance, i don't know where you're getting those terms from after reading my post. i love playground basketball and i love stylish (legal) ball. its not even an issue. anyone who didn't like the way Magic Johnson, Pete Maravich or Earl Monroe played the game should consider getting a lobotomy. end of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak
    Have you watched much of the Streetball.co.uk stuff? Most of the guys featured are legit ballers who like to have fun at summer runs etc. Streetball Extreme did infinitely more damage, yeah the Streetball.co.uk guys like to do tricks etc, but at least they did them within the rules of the game, none of this travelling, carrying, crip walking, double dribbling hotsauce And1 stuff.

Basketball is behind in the UK because it doesn't have a big profile, not because Streetball.co.uk put some videos up on the internet of guys embarassing people. Greg Tanner has done more than the majority of people will ever do to raise the profile of basketball in the UK.
    fair do's, i'm not here to throw insults at individuals. i have not watched much streetball.co.uk stuff but i saw what kind of ball they promoted on their website and what the values of their readers seemed to be. e.g. i have read greg tanner reporting with glee about how someone bounced the ball off the defenders forehead. streetball.co.uk preceded that SBX thing, albeit indirectly you could say. i've got nothing against tommy baker either, the entertainment-oriented stuff has its place under the 'umbrella' of playground basketball.

for better or worse their legacy is a generation of youngsters with slightly skewed attitudes. you cannot deny this because i have been meeting these kids for years. the first questions i used to get asked were 'can you dunk?' and 'what team do you play for?' now its 'do you know hot sauce?' and 'what tricks can you do?'

so not exactly a disaster really. i've probably blown this out of proportion by using words like 'cancerous' and saying we've been set back 10 years. a bit melodramatic on my part, sorry about that. the "streetball" thing has become a pet hate of mine.

anyway i really admire Brian McCormick for seeing the positives in the situation:

Subject: Fundamentally Flawed
    By: Brian McCormick
    January 5, 2004

Gym one. Player 1 walks into the empty gym, turns on the lights and puts the ball down. P1 stretches, jogs and does some light plyometric/footwork drills. Player 2 enters the gym, jogs to get loose and does the same warm-up, while P1 does the Mikan Drill. When P2 is done warming up, P1 and P2 start basic shooting drills; passing and closing out on the shooter and rebounding one’s own shot. They start with mid-range jump shots, no further than the free throw line. Player 3 arrives, gets loose and joins a three-person shooting drill. When Player 4 arrives, P1 and P2 work together and P3 and P4 work together. P1 and P2 finally extend the range on their jumpers. When they have six players, they play three-on-three.

Gym two. P1 walks in the gym dribbling the ball and throws a three-pointer at the rim. He walks after the rebound, dribbles back to the three-point line and throws another shot at the basket. P2 enters and P1 shows off some And 1 move. P2 takes a three-pointer, and then they play one-on-one, dribbling and dribbling and dribbling before shooting. As more players enter, half court shots are attempted, balls are throws off the walls and double-pump three-sixty lay-ups are practiced.

These are two examples illustrating the difference between the European/International player and the American player. I was at the middle school in the town where I coached in Sweden one day after our practice when I witnessed the first scenario, a group of girl players between the ages of 16 and 25, some good, some not. The second example took place tonight at a local high school as I conducted a workout on the other half of the court and involved freshman, junior varsity and varsity players at the high school.

People point to the sagging shooting percentages in professional basketball, blaming hundreds of factors, but I always come back to these two examples. I can’t help but trace the problem to its origin.

Americans excel in individual defense, ball handling and one-on-one play because we play more pick-up basketball and many players learn to play, or develop considerably, while playing on the playgrounds. International players excel in shooting and movement without the ball because they work together from the beginning, rather than constantly competing, as is the American way.

Playground (pick-up) basketball is great for learning toughness and for working on one’s individual game. However, these benefits must be complemented by additional skill work as well. Simply playing lots of basketball will not necessarily make one a great player. He must be smart, too, and use his court time wisely, practicing his weaknesses and further developing his strengths. Too many times, players take the court and lazily shoot around until a game starts. That is court time the player can use to improve his game, whether he works on form shooting close to the basket, ball handling drills, pull-up jump shots off the dribble, etc.

The And 1 Mix-Tapes are fantastic. I enjoy watching the tapes and use them in a practice environment. However, it appears some players (and I’ve seen this in Africa, Europe and the States) fail to understand the practice involved in mastering the moves of players like Skip To My Lou, Sick-With-It and Hot Sauce. In one of the “Street Ball” episodes, the Professor says Hot Sauce should be called the Energizer Bunny because he never stops dribbling. He always has a ball in his hands working on his handle. It doesn’t just happen.

Skip, Hot Sauce and the others spent a lifetime dribbling the ball and the Tour is the fruit of their labor. However, I see adolescents at the park trying to do one of the moves, but they can’t dribble the ball with their left hand. They cannot do a basic “Figure Eight” drill without staring at the ball, but they think they can pull off a move that took Hot Sauce years to perfect. Please, players, give these guys their due. They are not overnight successes. They work at their craft.

I, unlike many coaches, have no problem with players learning to do these moves which they will never use in an ordinary game. I think players who can do these moves will have a tight handle and unquestioned confidence with the ball. However, to be able to do these moves, players must first learn to handle the ball. They need a tight handle. And, players with a tight handle are few and far between. It starts with building control, doing drill after drill so the ball becomes an extension of the hand. Then, the player builds quickness, making game moves at game speeds with perfect control, the ball always in the fingers, not in the palm or the wrist. Once the player has a tight handle, then he can emulate his And 1 heroes because he will have the ability, and will need only to learn the creativity and the flair which make the And 1 Mix-Tapes entertaining.

Similarly, shooting the three is an important facet of today’s game. However, players, especially young players, who never venture inside the line to work on their shot never develop or progress properly. They learn to shoot with poor form and develop bad habits that become increasingly difficult to correct the more the player plays.

Every time a player starts shooting, he should start close to the basket and warm-up with some form shots to build proper form through repetitions. As the player progresses further and further from the basket, he should shoot with the same mechanics. If a player has different mechanics at twenty feet than he does at ten feet, he has flawed mechanics. The only difference should be in the leg drive which powers the shot.

Practice makes permanent. Every time a player practices, he either practices good habits or he develops bad habits. Players who excel and achieve greatness, reaching and exceeding their potential, discipline themselves and work on their fundamentals, practicing their shooting from close range, or doing “boring” ball handling drills to develop confidence, control and quickness. Students do not jump from addition and subtraction to calculus. There are steps and an educational process where skills build upon each other. Students with poor basic arithmetic skills will struggle with higher math. Similarly, basketball skills build upon each other and players need a strong fundamental base in order to develop more advanced skills and moves and to succeed at higher levels. International players understand the fundamental importance of proper practice, while many American athletes are fundamentally flawed despite superior athletic ability, toughness and aggressiveness.
    http://www.lonestarbasketball.com/more/thought_4.htm
    Last edited by stax; 10-14-2008 at 06:51 AM.