Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: What's LeBron James real vertical?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Knicks
    You're crazy if you think any NBA player had 45+ inch verticals.
    40.5 inches regular, 45 inches with a running start. Unless we are declaring Pat Croce a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    40.5 inches regular, 45 inches with a running start. Unless we are declaring Pat Croce a liar.

I believe this 100%

Remember some of these guys are some of the greatest athletes ever, no matter what the sport. Iverson is one of those guys. He doesn't reflect the athleticism of the whole league. He's just a stand alone freak. Just Like Carter, Jordan, James and Bryant. These guys are not really normal. Most people don't really understand that.

NBA rookie of the year

A running vertical (whatever that exactly entails) can yield results that are a hell of a lot different than those obtained from a standard vertical leap test. I'd guess as many as 10-12 inches, depending on the test and the athlete and the time of day and a hundred other variables.

And I certainly wouldn't believe a lot of the reported numbers. For whatever reason, the testing institutions and standards around the NBA are far less accurate and concise than those complimenting, say, the NFL. Just look at how they inflate heights and fudge weights. It's impossible to get a straight answer from these people.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by New York Knicks
    Kobe never approached 40-inches. 42 would be crazy. That's bordering on Jordan/Carter level of jumping. And Kobe is clearly several notches below them. 38 is a STRONG maybe. But I have it closer to 36-37.
    Are we talking standing still vertical or with a couple steps?

I'd estimate about 36 on this one from 08, so 40 isn't entirely unreasonable in his prime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMptipbXh7I

He would need to be 2 inches from the rim for 40, assuming he is actually his listed 6'6"

I've never seen him do that in game, but he got pretty high in this one in 05-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enXm0olC5c

Edit: Bad angle but it looks like Ricky Davis got to rim level at :22-:34 of this mix, off two feet too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPhKVWkBrQ
    Last edited by bstickq1; 09-28-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Local High School Star

I wouldnt be surprised if his vertical is 42-43 inches actually since he gets up so high. And the highest vert recorded in the combine wasn't nate robinson but a guy named kenny gregory at 45.5 inches.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA

Now im an Iverson fan, he gets up high, but theres no way hes 40.5 inches standing and 45 running.

If you actually looked at iverson's dunks, he never tries any fancy moves like (360's, windmills and stuff), though he probably could do them if he could, I would say he's max vert would be 40ish.

Fancy moves have as much to do with hand size and wingspan as vertical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLMmrvESNo

Iverson was definitely an elite leaper. If you don't think so your an idiot. Iverson stopped dunking so much a few years in the league.

If you ever saw Iverson at Georgetown you know how brutally he used to smash on people.