Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Gervin " "I could get 30 or 40 every night real easy, these days"

[QUOTE=

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    okay, so you dont think George Gervin would average 30 points a game in todays league?

yes/no?
    He can easily do that if he plays for a team with no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    What exactly among the things he said is crap? Enlighten us, please.

Gervin was a better and more efficient scorer than pretty much anyone. People get excited about the scoring performances of Iverson or, in the older says Dominique, but Gervin was a more efficient and productive scorer than both-actually holds the 2nd best career point/minute ratio ever, behind only Jordan. He also holds a career NBA FG% of 51.1%, which is impressive for a guy his size, regardless of era.

It's also funny how the dude mentions the defense of the 70's, yet ignores that he had his 2 most productive seasons in the 80's and that he averaged 20+ as late as in 1985, at the age of 33 (and in only 29.0 mpg of playing time).

So, his finger-roll would be blocked every time he'd drive, huh...Is that why dwarves like Tony Parker and last year's Navarro are so rarely blocked when attempting their "BS"? Is that why Billups who gets up like 5 inches off the ground rarely has his shot swatted away? Gervin has a good 4-5 inches over all of them, has long arms and could jump higher, especially compared to the last two. So, maybe, before starting talking about the "00's supermen", you need to put some things into perspective and realize that players haven't become that much better that quickly through time. Basketball isn't informatics, where a 3-year old technology is considered mainstream or even obsolete.
    The little fact about Kobe "could only dream of" was a little over the top, wouldn't you say Mr. Basketball analysis.

No one said that Gervin wasn't one of the greatest scorer, try to look at the other guys post first before making your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    okay, so you dont think George Gervin would average 30 points a game in todays league?

yes/no?
    Yes, he is one of the best scorer to ever play.
    But saying statements like "Kobe could only dream of being as good as him" is a little far fetched considering what Kobe has achieved in his days as a scorer.

There are too many people who don't pay the previous NBA eras enough respect. I think from reading this forum that that's pretty clear. One should always respect the history of the game.

But it also goes both ways - sometimes, not enough respect is given to the current league.

Regardless of whether or not he could actually drop 30/40, it's not a classy thing to say, especially considering the way he casually said "yeah, 30 or 40 real easy" - he's essentially devaluing the achievements of current players and implying that they're some kind of second-rate players.

Now is that not disrespecting the game just as much as those people who call previous eras 'weak'?

Is it not enough for people to just pay respect to all eras of the game? It annoys me that some people feel a need to put down other eras in order to make themselves look better.

Scoring 32 in the 80's is more like scoring 25 in todays league.
    Why do people consistently over-look the pace of the game in the 80's?
    Most teams in that era averaged over 100 PPG, today usually 1/3rd of the league does not.
    Your conversion is off. No era was ever 28% (=32/25) more productive than today's. Actually, the 1980 season was only 9.4% more productive than today's era, so Gervin having 32 ppg would translate to 29 ppg in around 37 mpg, which would rank #1 last season in terms of productivity per minute.

So there you have it. Pace was faster, but not that much faster.

The little fact about Kobe "could only dream of" was a little over the top, wouldn't you say Mr. Basketball analysis.

No one said that Gervin wasn't one of the greatest scorer, try to look at the other guys post first before making your comments.
    Then maybe, mr.

[QUOTE=Psileas]Then maybe, mr.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

He needs to just shut up and look for his AARP card, and KNOW the number before he calls in.

You're a smart plug, considering his entire post was "bolded".
    But yeah I should have been more clear about what I was quoting, my bad.
    Point remains, I was merely commenting on his inaccurate comparison to Kobe then Gervin actually being one of the most prolific scorers of all-time.

I just don't see what warrants that guy to make such a statement in regards to a player that has averaged 35 PPG in the modern era. Pretty absurd.
    I agree about the Kobe hyperbole. Kobe, after all, is a player whom "Sir Charles" doesn't like, anyway and it's well-known he's biased against him.

And I had forgotten that he bolds his own messages. Partially because when I quote messages, I never bother to copy the exact same type of the writer's style. If he writes in green, I won't bother to quote his text in green, as well. I didn't use the "bold" thing for sarcasm reasons.

Basketball is the only sport where the previous generation is considered better then the current generation. This is ridiculous first of all. People actually think the game has gone backwards and that players are becoming worse?

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    People actually think the game has gone backwards and that players are becoming worse?
    Yes. yes they do. Flashier doesn't mean better.

Good college starter

Kobe >>>>> Gayrvin

Certified ISHiot.

the old/retired dudes always think they were better than the young/current dudes. nothing to see here, just another old man who doesn't like how the game has changed.

I hear this bull**** like he would score 30 ppg or even 40, wtf he would even make the ****ing NBA!