Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 11515859606162636471 ... LastLast
    Life In Marvelous Time

Default Re: official high school basketball thread

Whew, been a long time since I logged in, lots to report.

First game: Win 67-61
    Against a team with more than triple our enrollment. Supposedly out of our league.
    My statline: 21 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 8 turnovers.
    Second game: Loss 59-45
    Another team supposedly out of our league. We had a terrible shooting night, weren't on our game at all.
    My statline: 14 points, 2 assists, 3 rebounds, 8 turnovers.
    Third Game: Win 77-65
    Rematch against the first team we played, this time playing on their homecourt.
    My statline: 19 points, 10 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers
    Fourth Game: Loss 86-83
    First actual league game. They were a one man team, thier big guy dropped 52.
    My statline: 27 points, 6 assists, 1 rebound, 0 turnovers
    Fifth Game: Win 90-74
    Second league game, easy win. Bad team, hung around with us for a while though.
    My statline: 24 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 6 turnovers.
    Sixth Game: Win 87-76
    Third league game. Bad team that hung around for a while again.
    My statline: 13 points, 5 assists, 8 rebounds, 6 turnovers.
    Seventh Game: Win 94-47
    Terrible team, easy win. Finally got to play our bench a little bit.
    My statline: 20 points, 1 assist, 5 rebounds, 2 turnovers.
    Eighth Game: Loss 82-77
    Against a good team, tight all the way back and fourth. Good ball handlers could break our press well.
    My statline: 10 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers
    Ninth Game: Win 92-84
    Fourth league game. Against a decent team. Their SG dropped 36.
    My statline: 30 points, 6 assists, 0 rebounds, 2 turnovers

Overall: 3-1(6-3)
    My stats:
    19.7 Points
    4.3 Assists
    3.7 Rebounds
    4.1 Turnovers

Team is decent this year, had much bigger expectations though. I'm really playing a bigger role than I expected, I'm basically the go-to guy. Really need to cut down on turnovers though.

Made that high school varsity squad Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bang Theory
    Whew, been a long time since I logged in, lots to report.

First game: Win 67-61league.
    My statline: 21 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 8 turnovers.
    Against a team with more than triple our enrollment. Supposedly out of our
    Second game: Loss 59-45
    Another team supposedly out of our league. We had a terrible shooting night, weren't on our game at all.
    My statline: 14 points, 2 assists, 3 rebounds, 8 turnovers.
    Third Game: Win 77-65
    Rematch against the first team we played, this time playing on their homecourt.
    My statline: 19 points, 10 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers
    Fourth Game: Loss 86-83
    First actual league game. They were a one man team, thier big guy dropped 52.
    My statline: 27 points, 6 assists, 1 rebound, 0 turnovers
    Fifth Game: Win 90-74
    Second league game, easy win. Bad team, hung around with us for a while though.
    My statline: 24 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 6 turnovers.
    Sixth Game: Win 87-76
    Third league game. Bad team that hung around for a while again.
    My statline: 13 points, 5 assists, 8 rebounds, 6 turnovers.
    Seventh Game: Win 94-47
    Terrible team, easy win. Finally got to play our bench a little bit.
    My statline: 20 points, 1 assist, 5 rebounds, 2 turnovers.
    Eighth Game: Loss 82-77
    Against a good team, tight all the way back and fourth. Good ball handlers could break our press well.
    My statline: 10 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers
    Ninth Game: Win 92-84
    Fourth league game. Against a decent team. Their SG dropped 36.
    My statline: 30 points, 6 assists, 0 rebounds, 2 turnovers

Overall: 3-1(6-3)

My stats:
    19.7 Points
    4.3 Assists
    3.7 Rebounds
    4.1 Turnovers

Team is decent this year, had much bigger expectations though. I'm really playing a bigger role than I expected, I'm basically the go-to guy. Really need to cut down on turnovers though.
    92-84 in a HS school game how long are the quarters it looks like there is a lot of run and gun in this league. Your turnover waiting to happen if i was the coach i would stop giving you the rock until you prove you can be an effective player without turning the rock over so much

Life In Marvelous Time

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    92-84 in a HS school game how long are the quarters it looks like there is a lot of run and gun in this league. Your turnover waiting to happen if i was the coach i would stop giving you the rock until you prove you can be an effective player without turning the rock over so much
    10 minute quarters. 24 second shot clock, always run & gun style in our games. I've been struggling with that because in the past we've always been a half court team. I've lately been getting back into the groove with my mindset and decision making, I'm still the second best ball handler on the team and I have the ball in my hands more than anyone on the team so turnovers are bound to come.

Good High School Starter Splitz77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    thats great advice but do you have any advice on trapping, or defending and extremely quick player? Is it better to watch the chest or the belly?
    If your slow, defending a quicker player is hard. Try to figure out what their strong hand is and then take it away from them if you can. If they cant shoot, give them some room so that way they cannot blow by you. If they can shoot and their quick, explosive and fast then your in some trouble. You probably shouldnt be guarding them if theirs someone else who can. But, if you do end up on that particular guard, then give him some room, and then right when he picks up his dribble, you have to close out fast. If the guard only likes going one way then cut that path off make him go the other way by playing him hard to that side. make him use his weak hand.

On trapping, try to get them to go into what my coach calls jackass corner. its either the right or left side of the court, right over the half court line. if you can get them to dribble into their then thats the perfect place to trap because you just added two more players to your team. You got the two guys that are trapping, the sideline and the half court line. Play big get your hands up, spread your legs a little bit, and just wave your arms around kind of to make them make a stupid decision.

We are now 3-1.

So first half was just ****ty. They ran a nice drive and kick game. There bigs were getting easy buckets and they were getting a lot of wide open 3s. Down 15 at half.

I only had 7 points at half and maybe 2 rebounds. I was so pissed. Just sitting there thinking "what the hell am i doing." So i came out mad in the second half. Really mad. and everyone else was mad. and we all got pumped up and played with intensity. I had some huge buckets and scored 12 points in the third quarter, the lead was down to 2. We just kept rolling in the 4th. Our pg was hitting threes and driving and getting steals and just killing it. He ended the game with 37 points. I ended up with 26 and our other big had 11. So we 3 had 74 of our 82. It was the best win i have ever had. Just straight heart in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight20-20
    We are now 3-1.

So first half was just ****ty. They ran a nice drive and kick game. There bigs were getting easy buckets and they were getting a lot of wide open 3s. Down 15 at half.

I only had 7 points at half and maybe 2 rebounds. I was so pissed. Just sitting there thinking "what the hell am i doing." So i came out mad in the second half. Really mad. and everyone else was mad. and we all got pumped up and played with intensity. I had some huge buckets and scored 12 points in the third quarter, the lead was down to 2. We just kept rolling in the 4th. Our pg was hitting threes and driving and getting steals and just killing it. He ended the game with 37 points. I ended up with 26 and our other big had 11. So we 3 had 74 of our 82. It was the best win i have ever had. Just straight heart in the second half.

now you have to bottle that up and play with that intensity every half of every game. just think what you could do

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    now you have to bottle that up and play with that intensity every half of every game. just think what you could do
    Yeah definitely. Its the way i played the last game of last season and the first game of this season. In the past it has taken something to spark it but I just need to play like that all the time. I will be dangerous.

Life In Marvelous Time

Rivalry game tonight @ Home. They're ranked 6th in the province, we're ranked 9th but I KNOW we're a better team. This rivalry is always intense and this will definitely be a hell of a game. So pumped up right now.

Well, we played a much bigger school tonight.

At the end of the first quarter we were up 21-12.
    At the end of the second they made a run and they took a 3 point lead into halftime.

At the beggining of the third quarter we hit a quick three and tied it up 33 - 33. but then we some how just fell apart and they went on a major run. At the end of the third we were down by 23 points.

The fourth quarter we made a run but it just wasnt enough, we lost by 12. But it was a pretty good game.

If we wouldnt have fallen apart then we could have destroyed this team who was supposed to be much better than us.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Rivalry game tonight @ Home. They're ranked 6th in the province, we're ranked 9th but I KNOW we're a better team. This rivalry is always intense and this will definitely be a hell of a game. So pumped up right now.
    Rivalry games. You gotta love them.

We played a much bigger school tonight, i think about triple our enrollment. But they are more of a football/wrestling school so they cant compete with the tougher 5a schools. Anyway they outmatched us physically. We had the height advantage but they were using their strength to overpower us. They were pushing me around. Im not making excuses i should never let anyone push me around.

They jumped out to a 15-3 lead at the quarter. We battled back and it was 22-17 at half. Then we were playing good in the third but they just went on a run at the end of the quarter and pushed the lead to 11. We could just never recover from our slow start. Lesson learned. I had 17 and other captain had 19. We are turning into quite the dynamic duo.

We play our first league game on monday.

Life In Marvelous Time

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Rivalry games. You gotta love them.
    It was definitely the most intense game I've ever played in. Tight the entire way, ended up 76-75 win for them. Our PG missed a runner from the foul line at the buzzer...such a heartbreaker. I scored 17 points but all off layups and free throws, I didn't hit a single jumpshot all night, it was crazy.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

It was definitely the most intense game I've ever played in. Tight the entire way, ended up 76-75 win for them. Our PG missed a runner from the foul line at the buzzer...such a heartbreaker. I scored 17 points but all off layups and free throws, I didn't hit a single jumpshot all night, it was crazy.
    Hey, 17? Man, I'm lucky enough to get 4 in a game.

Well, at least you still contribute to the team even if you're a bit off. Really does sound like a heartbreaker. Was it a tune-up game or a league game? Well, either way, you could still get another shot at whipping their asses.

We have a game tomorrow night at 7:30 against a less than par team, but on saturday were off to another town with a pretty good team. So we got back to back games coming up. It should be good.

Hopefully i get more playing time.lol.

Life In Marvelous Time

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Hey, 17? Man, I'm lucky enough to get 4 in a game.

Well, at least you still contribute to the team even if you're a bit off. Really does sound like a heartbreaker. Was it a tune-up game or a league game? Well, either way, you could still get another shot at whipping their asses.
    It was a league game is the worst part.

Today we were at a tournament and played the #1 ranked team in the province, we got absolutely whooped. 111-28 was the final score. 36-4 after the first quarter. Our starters (which we were missing 2 of) only played about 10 minutes. I had 5 points.

In our second game against another top ten ranked team, we won 74-73. We were lucky though, they were missing some pretty easy shots and missed 2 free throw's and a fairly open jumpshot from the foul line at the buzzer. I had my first triple double ever, 20 points, 10 rebounds, 11 assists.

I'm so grateful for that second win, at least now it's not as much of an embarrasment losing by 83.