Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Saw a basketball once StreetBaller_16's Avatar

Default Re: What's your vert?

I'm 16 and 5'9 my running vert is 27.5

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Quick question, since i think i'm getting off up high enough to get a dunk down, just can't get it gripped or go off correctly, should i stop trying off one foot, and only practice 2 footed jumping to get more used to that?
    I would not recommend only practicing 2 foot dunking, lest you are looking to complete only practice dunks as a sort of circus trick. I am making the big assumption that you are under 6'4'', which would make the chance of you ever dunking off of any kind of drop-step relatively slim.

I converted to an exclusive two-foot dunker many moons ago and found that while it allowed me to put down neat flushes in practice, I'd never have the opportunity to put them down in games because opponents would chase me down when I went to plant my feet.

Developing the ability to dunk off both legs is ideal. Now, instead of breaking momentum to dunk, I can continue accelerating down floor and elevate on the move (off of one foot), thus heavily increasing my dunk opportunities and completions.

For the person who asked how to measure a vertical jump:
    You first need to measure your maximum standing reach. Raise your hand above your head and measure the distance from the floor to your extended fingertips. We will hypothetically presume your reach is 90 inches.

Next, you will need a way to mark how high you can reach on a wall, backboard, or vertical measure pole. Using a 10ft. rim and backboard, lets presume you jump and make a mark two inches above the 10 foot rim. This means, while jumping, you can reach 122 inches (10ft. 2in. converted to inches). You'd subtract your original reach total from your jump total to reveal your unofficial vertical jump (122-90= 32 inches).

As for the thread title, I have a 29.5 standing vert and a 35 inch "running vert" (which may explain why I've had so much success dunking in games off of one foot and not two).

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I would not recommend only practicing 2 foot dunking, lest you are looking to complete only practice dunks as a sort of circus trick. I am making the big assumption that you are under 6'4'', which would make the chance of you ever dunking off of any kind of drop-step relatively slim.

I converted to an exclusive two-foot dunker many moons ago and found that while it allowed me to put down neat flushes in practice, I'd never have the opportunity to put them down in games because opponents would chase me down when I went to plant my feet.

Developing the ability to dunk off both legs is ideal. Now, instead of breaking momentum to dunk, I can continue accelerating down floor and elevate on the move (off of one foot), thus heavily increasing my dunk opportunities and completions.

You first need to measure your maximum standing reach. Raise your hand above your head and measure the distance from the floor to your extended fingertips. We will hypothetically presume your reach is 90 inches.

Next, you will need a way to mark how high you can reach on a wall, backboard, or vertical measure pole. Using a 10ft. rim and backboard, lets presume you jump and make a mark two inches above the 10 foot rim. This means, while jumping, you can reach 122 inches (10ft. 2in. converted to inches). You'd subtract your original reach total from your jump total to reveal your unofficial vertical jump (122-90= 32 inches).

As for the thread title, I have a 29.5 standing vert and a 35 inch "running vert" (which may explain why I've had so much success dunking in games off of one foot and not two).
    great post, repped.

I usually hit open layups Spec5ial5k5's Avatar

Im 16 and 5'10 my standings is 28-30 and running its 33-36

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

In the words of lilojmayo:

I have to totally disagree with you bro. If you can dunk at a proficient rate youll be able to dunk in a game. And 2 footed jumping is so much more valuable than one footed jumping. When you jump off 2 feet you have so much more body control to finish layups adjust you shot get and1s then when you jump of 1 foot not to mention if you miss they lay up you will be in better position to get the offensive rebound

I'm 20 years old and 5 foot 8, my running vert is about 35 inches

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by FIXED
    In the words of lilojmayo:
    I have to totally disagree with you bro. If you can dunk at a proficient rate youll be able to dunk in a game. And 2 footed jumping is so much more valuable than one footed jumping. When you jump off 2 feet you have so much more body control to finish layups adjust you shot get and1s then when you jump of 1 foot not to mention if you miss they lay up you will be in better position to get the offensive rebound
    I am speaking strictly in terms of fast-break dunks in regards to the two-foot vs. one-foot debate. I thought what I'd read is the issue came about because he was looking for the best way to dunk - and to be able to do so one day in a game. He was suggesting that perhaps he should strictly try dunking off of two feet. While there are certain high flyers that can bounce off two feet on a fast break at a moments' notice and flush with authority (think Steve Francis) this poster did not appear to be one of those types of dunkers.

I am not suggesting any player scrap leaping off of two feet. I jump off of two-feet just as much as one (for all the reasons you mentioned). Again, I was speaking in this regard only toward dunking. And one of the biggest mistakes I made was at one point becoming strictly a 6'3'', two-foot dunker. I could not rise nearly enough to do it in any kind of half-court set, and setting up for a dunk on a fast break allowed a small enough window for a defense to recover. In contrast, reintroducing the one-foot takeoff and dunk (while retaining two-foot dunks) vastly improved the opportunity for me to put one down in-game.

So, in dealing with a poster who appears to be struggling to get above the rim (not a Steve Francis) I thought the best advice for ever wanting to flush in a game would be to learn how to take off on the move, using one foot. He did not appear to be a proficient dunker. Though, again, if I had to be a proficient one-foot or two-foot dunker, I would select the one foot.

But in regards to simply jumping off of either foot, dunking nonwithstanding, I still find a near equal value in both one and two-foot jumping. While two-foot jumping ensures a certain level of body control when encountering a defense, one-foot jumping can be just as integral in filling lanes, slicing through the paint, and elevating toward the bucket at a high rate of speed. One-foot jumping seems to specialize (but is not exclusive to) fast-break, secondary break, or general open floor situations while two-foot leaps tend to occur when making calculated moves through traffic. They're both great and important. I do not know what my game would look like with one and not the other.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-22-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Saw a basketball once

I agree with Rake, its definitely easier to dunk off one, especially on a fast break, as you can keep your momentum and dunk without breaking stride. Also, its much easier to jump with the ball in your hand off one foot.

I could get well above the rim off two feet at my peak (40 inch vert), but could never get close to dunking in a game. Whereas I can only get a few inches above the rim off one, but I've been really close to dunking in game.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Most of you guys are more athletic than me coz I can barely touch the rim even though I have around a 7,8" standing reach (w/ shoes on). I think I have the potential to dunk, but not at the moment because I haven't touched rim in a long time.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

I'm 15, 5'9, but I don't know my exact vert (whenever I compute, it ends up funky). However, I can almost grab a 9 foot rim.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    I'm 15, 5'9, but I don't know my exact vert (whenever I compute, it ends up funky). However, I can almost grab a 9 foot rim.
    That's not very impressive, but I think the majority of ppl are at your level if not worse...

Im 17, 5'6 - 5'7, and can grab a 10" Rim on a good day.

idk my vert but im 6'4" and can dunk off a drop step.

yea i'm 6'2 and i can dunk off two feet and one feet now (i get up higher off one foot though), my vert has increased alot since i last posted in this thread. still have yet to dunk in a game, almost got a couple down in a pickup game, one over someone but it rimmed out.

heres to hoping i can get one down my sophomore year in a game.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros
    That's not very impressive, but I think the majority of ppl are at your level if not worse...
    Yeah, I know. Considering my racial background, though, I'm lucky enough I can jump!