Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No Pun Intended ryantheporchkid's Avatar

Default Re: 50 Music Cities in 50 Days

Is this in the world or just in US?

What about Kingston, Jamaica. That come before Houston, or you want me to post Houston first?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    What about Kingston, Jamaica. That come before Houston, or you want me to post Houston first?
    Post Houston first.

City #8: Houston, Texas (special guest editor L.Kizzle)

[COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Arial Black"]WELCOME TO THE CITY of SYRUP[/FONT][/COLOR]

"Houston, Texas mothatucka's is where I stay"
    Houston, Texas, the fourth largest city in the US, brought some heavyweights into the music business. We gotta start way back in the day, way way back in the day. The 1920's. Most of the blues musicians were influenced by Blind Lemon Jefferson, a Texas blues legend. These young musicians included Lightin' Hopkins (from 3rd Ward, more on 3rd Ward later), Blind Willie Jefferson among others in the Great Depression era. By the 1940, the Texas blues sound had fully developed and a host of other were following in the footsteps of these Blues legends. T-Bone Walker, Gatemouth Brown and shouter Big Mama Thorton (the original singer of Hound Dog) were just a few. That's not it, a decade later, some other prominent blues men came from the Houston Texas scene. Albert Collins' Johnny Copeland and Mr. Johnny "Guitar" Watson rose in this period.

From near by Port Arthur, some other talents were brewing, two who left too soon. The Big Bopper, an early important Rock & Roll artist was just begin' his career when he fell with others starts Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly (from Lubock, Texas.) Blues shouter Janis Joplin, at the height of her career, a year after Woodstock and two after going solo was gone at 27 in 1970.

Around 1970, a blues/rock Band from Houston was making a name for themselves, called ZZTop (named after ZZ Hill from Naples, Texas.) They went on to a great career, being inducted into the R&R Hof in 2004. Kenny Rogers started his career in the mid-'50s He has sold many records in the country, pop field and is also an actor.

The Jazz scene while not like it's neighbor New Orleans, has some history. The Jazz Crusaders, featured many musicians from around the Houston area, were big in the Jazz/Funk fusion of the '60s and '70s. Flutist Hubert Laws has played with Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones, Paul McCartney, Sarah Vaughn among others.

Can't forget the R&B and Soul scene of Houston. It's nothin' like listen' to some soul on a Sunday morning. Joe Tex, from nearby Beaumont, was instrument in Soul music in the '60s and '70s with many top ten hits on the pop charts. The "fifth Beatle" Billy Preston was born hear in Houston and was one of the great organist of his time, a child prodigy. Archie Bell and the Drells, Leon Haywood and Jeniffer Holiday called Houston home.

By the late '80's hip hop was making a move to the dirty south. The Geto Boys and UGK are the Kingz of Texas hip-hop along with another guy ... That guy was DJ Screw. He started a movement that went across the US, the Chopped and Screwed movement where he slowed down tapes and chopped up the vocals. The Screwed Up Click was born and featured southern rappers from the Wards, and Parks from Houston. Lil Keke, Big Moe, ESG, Fat Pat, Z-Ro, Trea are just some from the SUC. The Northside didn't want to be left out so in the late '90s, Swishhouse was born, an alternate to the SUC. Michael 5000 Watts, Chamillionaire, Slim Thug, Mike Jones and Paul Wall come from this camp. Another rapper not associated with these two clicks is Devin "the Dude." Eightball & MJG also located to Houston for a quick second.

Around the same time, a girl group was making a name for them selves, Destiny's Child. While the other member of the group (past and present) made names for themselves, it was Beyonc

City #9: Kingston, Jamaica

I had written a lengthy post about the music of Kingston, but alas my post was eaten by ISH's timeout. Instead writing it again, I will devote this post to my first crush: Patra. Seeing Patra dance confirmed my heterosexuality.

Romantic Call

Pull Up to the Bumper

Man Dem Thriller

Worker Man

Dip and Fall Back

Essential Records from Non Patra Kingston Artists:

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Post Houston first.

if Houston is going to make this list, Dallas and especially Austin are a must. I'd also toss in Boulder since it may as well be Austin with snow. Just saying...

Tomorrow will feature two posts, one from myself and one from L.Kizzle about this city:

Minneapolis, Minnesnowta

City #10: Minneapolis, Minnesota (special guest editor L.Kizzle)

"Why don‘t you purify yourself, in the water … of lake Minnetonka"
    Minneapolis, where to begin. I’m not gonna start from where y’all think I’m gonna start from, I’m goin’ all the way back to, way back. The Andrews sister were the first major artist out of Minny. The recorded many tunes, (including a ton with Mr. Bing Crosby.) These young ladies sold over 100 million records begin’ in the 1940’s.

The rock scene in Minny was something also. Lipps Inc. hit big in ‘79 (the disco era) with Funkytown. The Replacements were formed in the late 70’s and released their same critically acclaimed album “Let It Be” in 1984. Soul Asylum formed in the early ‘80s and by the early ‘90s were Grammy winners.

But the king on Minneapolis, or the Prince is of course Prince Rogers Nelson. By the mid ‘70s a new funk scene was brewing out of the Minneapolis/St/ Paul area and Prince was at the forefront. By ‘78 he had released his debut album with Warner Brothers records playing all the instruments (27) and doin’ everything else. The next year he’d form a backing band (later known as the Revolution.) By 1981 he created the Time featuring many of Minny’s top musicians including Morris Day, and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Also that year, his bassist (and best friend) Andre Cymone left the band for a solo career. He’s also produce for his wife Jody Watley. In ‘82 he released his breakthrough 1999, he created a sexy girl trio Vanity 6 and Jam & Lewis left the Time to form their own production duo.

1984 was the year of Minneapolis. Prince released a masterpiece in Purple Rain and he and Morris Day and Apollonia starred in the film of the same name. Shelia E., famed percussionist came on board the Prince family. Morris Day left the time for a nice solo career, but it was their guitarist Jesse Johnson who went on to have 3 critically acclaimed solo albums in the mid-‘80. Cymone replacement BrownMark started Ted a funk band Mazarati and Prince formed The Family. Alexander O’Neal, the supposed lead singer of the Time was kicked out by Prince before they became major players but that didn’t stop him. By ‘84 his career was on the rise.

Jam and Lewis were one of the top hit-makers in the industry as they would produce Janet Jackson breakthrough Control, with the famed Minneapolis sound all over the LP. Cymone was busy turning out hits for Jody Watley, Morris and Jesse ()had their fair share of success at this time, and oh yeah, Prince was still doing his thing. Releasing “Sign ‘O‘ the Times” in 1987. Wendy and Lisa left Prince by the late ‘80s and were on their own. Jill Jones released a critically acclaimed LP that did nothing’ on the charts. Ta Mara and the Seen were produced by Jesse Johnson and had a big hit.

The Minneapolis sound was everywhere. Even known Prince associate artis were using the sound. The Jets, a family from Minny, hit big around this time. Mint Condition hit late in the decade, sort of New Jack/sort of R&B/sort of Jazz a little bit of everything. Time drummer ‘Jellybean’ had a hand in their start.

First Avenue, the famous club from the film, Purple Rain was a major factor in these artist honing their chops.

List of Luminaries:
    Apollonia 6: Tighten Up
    Alexander O’Neal: Chantilly Lace
    Andre Cymone: Livin‘ In the New Wave
    Andrews Sisters: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
    Dez Dickerson: Modernaire
    The Girls: Someone Shoulda Told Me
    The Family: High Fashion
    Janet Jackson: (Jam and Lewis produced, but this track is actually produced by their former band mate, Monte Moir)The Pleasure Principle
    The Jets: Rocket 2 U
    Jesse Johnson‘s Revue: Can You Help Me
    Jill Jones: Baby, You‘re a Trip
    Jody Watley: (Andre Cymone produced)Don’t You Want Me?
    Lipps, Inc.: FunkyTown
    Mazarati: I Guess It‘s All Over
    Mint Condition: Breakin' My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes)
    Morris Day: Fishnet
    Prince: Controversy
    Prince & the Revolution: Raspberry Beret
    The ReplacementsI Will Dare
    Sheila E.: A Love Bizarre
    Soul Asylum: Runaway Train
    Ta Mara and the Seen: Everybody Dance
    The Time 777-9311
    Wendy & Lisa: Satisfaction
    Vanity 6: Nasty Girl

Essential Albums:

Last edited by L.Kizzle; 11-21-2008 at 12:38 AM.

What's up Dasher, you falling off homie?

why no bob dylan in the minnesota post?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    What's up Dasher, you falling off homie?
    Ennui set in. I would like to divide the remaining spots up between interested posters. Which is what I should have done in the first place. Any takers? 40ish spots left. Multiple locales can be claimed.

Bump

Thought Philadelphia could have been on here:

Musiq Soulchild
    Boyz II Men
    Patti Labelle
    Chubby Checker
    Fresh Prince/DJ Jazzy Jeff
    Frankie Beverly
    Floetry
    Eve
    Current wave of rappers (Freeway, Cassidy, Peedi Crakk, Beanie Sigel, etc.)
    The Roots

some people off the top of my head. Wouldn't be the one to write something up on it though.

Which city is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher

Tomorrow will feature two posts, one from myself and one from L.Kizzle about this city:

Minneapolis, Minnesnowta
    Still waiting for the Bay Dasher.