Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

The first few pages in this thread were very insightful, crazy how much this site has changed in terms of quality posts.

Banned

Hakeem's 1994 and 1995 runs are the most impressive in history when it comes to individual matchups he had to face.

Beat Ewing, Robinson and Shaq in 7 game series in those two playoff runs. That's crazy. And all those three guys had better supporting casts than Hakeem.

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly View Post
    From what I know, D Rob was probably the overall better player. However, Hakeem had Drob beat in some respects, such as a back to the basket game(although, drob had hakeem beat in the overall post).
    No he didn't. How can you say Hakeem had a better back to the basket game, then follow it with Robinson was overall better in the post? In what way? Hakeem was simply a more potent post player, had a larger variety of post scoring skills which he could go to the clutch that Robinson didnt really have. The rest of their abilities, rebounding, paint presence/defensive ability, all of those things are mostly on par but as a weapon in the post that could withstand the higher pressure of playoff defense and competition Hakeem was clearly better.

Before 95( or I guess 94 since Hakeem won his first title then) there wasn't this gap between the two that the 95 playoff matchup has created in hindsight. Robinson's teams IIRC won more games and there wasnt some huge stat difference. They each had great games against each other. In fact around 92 alot of the talk was that Robinson was going to become the league's dominant player eventually with the idea that MJ was approaching 30 and expected, like other guards back then, to decline after that point and be vulnerable to another player taking the baton. This was before Shaqs arrival and Hakeems run combined with Robinsons playoff flameouts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly View Post
    From what I know, D Rob was probably the overall better player. However, Hakeem had Drob beat in some respects, such as a back to the basket game(although, drob had hakeem beat in the overall post).
    No, he wasn't.
    Even if you completely erase that Hakeem vs Robinson series from history, Hakeem was the better player.
    Along with Wilt Chamberlain, David Robinson has the biggest drop from his regular season ppg to playoff ppg of any all-time great player. Whereas Hakeem is the polar opposite and has the biggest ppg increase in playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound View Post
    Do the stats when both where prime and healthy that is from 1989 to 1996 (ages 22 to 32: players prime and peak). Both where done after that. Hakeem will probably have better stats both in the regulear season and play-offs. Both where the best defensive centers (Admiral a better rim protector and Hakeem a better 1 on 1 defender. Both where great floor defenders for steals as Cīs) but offensively Hakeem was much better. Hakeem was also a better passer and rebounder.
    I could argue rebounding was a wash, but I don't know that I agree with Hakeem was a better passer.

It should be very close. Of course everyone thinks back to that one series and over time that single memory has overwritten years of memories of watching these two play. History be like that.

I’ll take David Robinson only when he wears Wally moccasins