Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Michael Jordan jumper % or shot chart?

Nowadays there are advanced stat sites (e.g. 82games) which break down players in fine detail, e.g. Player X shoots 43% from mid-range jumpers, 75% in close shots, and so on. And shot charts are always fun.

Does anything like this exist for MJ? I'd love to know what he hit on mid-range J's in '96.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 12-28-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Default Re: Michael Jordan jumper % or shot chart?

I have looked for some. If they were kept, it was probably by the Bulls' assistant coaching staff. I have not found any from his Bulls days on the web. Maybe his entrance into the HOF will get this info released if it still exists.The only thing I found from his Wiz days was this:http://www.hicstatistics.org/2003Sta...%20Hickson.pdf. I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a good read.

Τhis thing can't be done unless they track all his games and shots from that season. They started adding this collective data to 82games from as early as 2005, iirc. I'm sure there may be a couple of people who managed to find advanced shooting stats for specific players before 2005, but if 82games is to deal with this, they'll probably need to do it for the whole league, which will take a lot of time.

Think of it this way: Basketball-reference struggles to find even boxscores before '87 (and they used to struggle to find boxscores even before '92). Imagine how much someone would struggle to find things like hot zones for every single game of these older seasons. Only the NBA itself would be able to finish such a project during some logical time frame.

College superstar

I know Psileas but there are some pretty devoted Bulls / MJ fans out there who have entire seasons on tape. I figured there's an outside shot that someone somewhere did something like that just for MJ.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    I know Psileas but there are some pretty devoted Bulls / MJ fans out there who have entire seasons on tape. I figured there's an outside shot that someone somewhere did something like that just for MJ.
    NOBODY is that crazy.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    NOBODY is that crazy.
    You haven't been on ISH very long have you? Don't be shocked if you get a shot charting breakdown before Barack Obama gets sworn into office.

Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Yeah, like I said, a couple of people may have done this for their favorite player. Don't tell anyone, but I'm talking about Loki and Hoop/pedia (actually, the reason Loki hasn't responded yet is because he's searching for these archives right now ).

You should ask BULLS, he's got every NBA game ever on tape.

Banned

Nothing like this exists, obviously. It's easier now to collect the data going forward because they keep shot chart logs for each game for every player. The only way to do this, as others have said, is to watch all 82 games from a given season and mark it down by hand, which would be incredibly laborious. Also, very few people (even me ) have full seasons for any of the Jordan Bulls years. I think the years I have the most games from are '97 and '98 because I had League Pass then, and even then I "only" have about 30-40 regular season games from each season on tape.

I mean, you could do it for the 15-20-30-whatever number of games you have for a season, which would be a bit easier, but it'd still be incredibly time consuming.

shhhhhhh

Basketball on Paper By Dean Oliver has a chapter on scoring games by hand and doing shot charts..he uses one of the bulls jazz games as an example, and shows the break down

"Wilt was big on stats. One time he called me up and said, 'You know, Harvey, Michael Jordan can't hit a shot beyond 15 feet?'

I said, 'How do you know that?'

He said to me, 'Don't you watch the games?'

I said, 'I don't watch stuff like that. How do you know?'

He said, 'I watch it.'

So, during the height of Michael's career, I got the play-by-play of the first 20 Bulls games and I checked the distance of every shot Jordan took during the season and sure enough, he was shooting 38 percent from 15 feet back. So, I did 20 more and came up with the same result. So then I said, if I did 40, I might as well do 82. Wilt’s appraisal was perfect. From 13 feet back (Jordan) was 37.8 percent.

Then Wilt said, 'Jordan doesn't take any shots from seven feet in, all of those shots are drives to the basket. He doesn't take five or six footers. He goes right to the hoop.'

I tried 20 more games and ended up looking at the entire season and got the same results. Wilt's analysis held up.

Wilt was a student of the game. People don't know that. He knew everything that was going on.

Another season, Wilt said that the refs never called any traveling violations on Jordan. Wilt was after Jordan for some reason. I checked the play by plays and Wilt was right. Jordan was called only for four traveling violations.

Whenever Wilt came out with a book, he always credited me with the stats. I'm referenced throughout his books."

Pat Riley said the NBA doesn’t keep field goal percentage right. They should separate the (two-point shots) from the (three-point shots). They separate the three’s, but overall they don’t separate the two’s. So one of the categories I keep is field goal percentage for two’s. Charles Barkley was the leader in the two-point category for years."

-
    Harvey Pollack

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Nothing like this exists, obviously. It's easier now to collect the data going forward because they keep shot chart logs for each game for every player. The only way to do this, as others have said, is to watch all 82 games from a given season and mark it down by hand, which would be incredibly laborious. Also, very few people (even me ) have full seasons for any of the Jordan Bulls years. I think the years I have the most games from are '97 and '98 because I had League Pass then, and even then I "only" have about 30-40 regular season games from each season on tape.

I mean, you could do it for the 15-20-30-whatever number of games you have for a season, which would be a bit easier, but it'd still be incredibly time consuming.
    Why did this guy get banned?

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

[QUOTE=PHILA][I]"Wilt was big on stats. One time he called me up and said, 'You know, Harvey, Michael Jordan can't hit a shot beyond 15 feet?'

I said, 'How do you know that?'

He said to me, 'Don't you watch the games?'

I said, 'I don't watch stuff like that. How do you know?'

He said, 'I watch it.'

So, during the height of Michael's career, I got the play-by-play of the first 20 Bulls games and I checked the distance of every shot Jordan took during the season and sure enough, he was shooting 38 percent from 15 feet back. So, I did 20 more and came up with the same result. So then I said, if I did 40, I might as well do 82. Wilt

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly
    This article made Wilt sound like he was scared of Mike's greatness.. Same trend is happening right now against Lebron
    Indeed he as well as other greats from that era have held a rightful grudge as most of what they did was taken for granted at the time and now is shamefully dismissed by the misinformed basketball fans.

The best team I ever saw was the 1967 Sixers. Everything today is geared for the offensive player. Open the middle so he can drive. You can't put your hand on a guy's back. Can you imagine me in the paint with only one guy on me and he can't put his hands on me and nobody's beside me? Michael Jordan is a bit older and he walks all the time, but the referees allow it. He's not going to come through dunking the basketball on Luke Jackson. He's going to get slammed to the floor. I'd like to see Wali Jones playing defense on him, driving him into me. I'd be more than happy to see that."

"He's 6'6, 196 lbs. Coming into our domain, the pivot, would not have been very wise of Michael. I don't think, I know he would have been crushed back then. During my time, if you did a 360 dunk you would either be on knocked on you ass or benched. It was called hot-dogging back then."

"I'm not a big fan of Michael Jordan's because he never led the league in field goal percentage. If you take the dunk out of his game, his percentage will be even lower."

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Indeed he as well as other greats from that era have held a rightful grudge as most of what they did was taken for granted at the time and now is shamefully dismissed by the misinformed basketball fans.

The best team I ever saw was the 1967 Sixers. Everything today is geared for the offensive player. Open the middle so he can drive. You can't put your hand on a guy's back. Can you imagine me in the paint with only one guy on me and he can't put his hands on me and nobody's beside me? Michael Jordan is a bit older and he walks all the time, but the referees allow it. He's not going to come through dunking the basketball on Luke Jackson. He's going to get slammed to the floor. I'd like to see Wali Jones playing defense on him, driving him into me. I'd be more than happy to see that."

"He's 6'6, 196 lbs. Coming into our domain, the pivot, would not have been very wise of Michael. I don't think, I know he would have been crushed back then. During my time, if you did a 360 dunk you would either be on knocked on you ass or benched. It was called hot-dogging back then."

"I'm not a big fan of Michael Jordan's because he never led the league in field goal percentage. If you take the dunk out of his game, his percentage will be even lower."

Yes, we know Wilt was a bitter old man, with incorrect information and uninformed opinions. Thank you for reminding us.