Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Michael Jordan jumper % or shot chart?

I wanna see Kareem's Skyhook %age. They like to show him making it but I bet it's a low percentage shot.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Nowadays there are advanced stat sites (e.g. 82games) which break down players in fine detail, e.g. Player X shoots 43% from mid-range jumpers, 75% in close shots, and so on. And shot charts are always fun.

Does anything like this exist for MJ? I'd love to know what he hit on mid-range J's in '96.
    They didn't keep such stats back then (certain teams and coaches did, and certainly Elias Sports Bureau did, but that's private data).

The only such stat I've ever heard for Jordan was from a game in the 1997 ECF vs. Miami, where Marv Albert or whoever said that Pat Riley and his assistants analyzed Jordan throughout the season and found that he hit 47-48% of his jumpers (it was either 47 or 48%) with a hand in his face, but something like 62-63% without a hand in his face (for example, either an open shot or a late closeout, a non-challenge on a post up fadeaway etc.). Pretty sure the game is up on youtube.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    I know Psileas but there are some pretty devoted Bulls / MJ fans out there who have entire seasons on tape. I figured there's an outside shot that someone somewhere did something like that just for MJ.

I have some of 89-92 and all of 92-98 on tape. That's a boatload to sort through.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Why did this guy get banned?
    he is still here under: OldSchoolBBall

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    I have looked for some. If they were kept, it was probably by the Bulls' assistant coaching staff. I have not found any from his Bulls days on the web. Maybe his entrance into the HOF will get this info released if it still exists.The only thing I found from his Wiz days was this:http://www.hicstatistics.org/2003Sta...%20Hickson.pdf. I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a good read.
    That was actually interesting to read. It said that Jordan actually shot a better % in a mid range shot the a shot close, but not directly under the basket. Of course its from his Wizard years and it'd probably be way different during his early years.
    I wanna see Kareem's Skyhook %age. They like to show him making it but I bet it's a low percentage shot.
    I bet it was probably 45-50% depending on where he shot it, which considering how easy it was to get off is pretty good. I can't say for certain, but thats what it seemed.
    Last edited by magnax1; 05-18-2010 at 11:37 PM.

owwwww

What year is that Wilt-Pollack story from? Has to be in the 80s because otherwise those numbers seem really off. MJ shot 43% from (shortened) three for a season but shot only 37% on shots 13+ feet back? That would make Lebron's jumpshot better than MJ's. It doesn't make sense at all and I think Pollack is taking some liberties (like with most Wilt stories).

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    You must have only watched him play from '87-'89 when his skyhook noticeably got worse (no lift). Kareem is the most efficient scorer in history, has the most efficient 30+ ppg season and 30+ ppg playoff runs, and he damn sure didn't do it on a "low percentage shot". I think it would be as high as around 50% in some seasons.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    What year is that Wilt-Pollack story from?
    Supposedly it's from '87, but I think it's BS. Anyone can watch his games from that season to see that he's shooting well above that from that distance.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Supposedly it's from '87, but I think it's BS. Anyone can watch his games from that season to see that he's shooting well above that from that distance.
    I can almost believe it then if it's '87. A lot of MJ's offense was coming from drives and leaning jumpers from inside 15 feet at that stage.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    They didn't keep such stats back then (certain teams and coaches did, and certainly Elias Sports Bureau did, but that's private data).

The only such stat I've ever heard for Jordan was from a game in the 1997 ECF vs. Miami, where Marv Albert or whoever said that Pat Riley and his assistants analyzed Jordan throughout the season and found that he hit 47-48% of his jumpers (it was either 47 or 48%) with a hand in his face, but something like 62-63% without a hand in his face (for example, either an open shot or a late closeout, a non-challenge on a post up fadeaway etc.). Pretty sure the game is up on youtube.

I knew you were a Jordan Fan Boy but Damn! You cant belive them bullsh*t numbers you just posted. Throw lay-ups and dunks in and that would equate to him shooting 60-70% Lmao.
    I thought Lebron fan boys were bad SMH

3-time NBA All-Star

POLLACK is THE most RESPECTED statistician in the history of the NBA. In fact he was responsible for many of the stats that we have today. How accurate was he? He had an SI reporter track a game between Russell and Wilt, and the Boston scorekeeper had Russell with more rebounds. Pollack had Wilt with considerably more. The SI reporter confirmed that Pollack's number were EXACT. In fact, because of that, Auerbach did not speak to Pollack for years. That article that Abe posted was in 2009. Now, I could not determine what season it was from, but we know that Wilt died in 1999. As for Jordan's 3pt shooting...take away the seasons in which the NBA moved in the 3pt line, and he was a career .288 3pt shooter.

Kareem was probably well in the 50% range with his sky-hook. As Fatal9 pointed out, he had some of the most efficient 30+ ppg seasons in NBA history (although he had some low percentage seasons in the mid-70's.) And I don't consider Kareem's 80's season's FG% marks as overly impressive, since the entire NBA was shooting nearly 50%. And, Kareem only led the NBA in FG% ONE season.

As for Pollack's stats...take a look at this. Probably the most extensive collection of NBA stats anywhere...

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/08/H...lack.20090308/

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"Yet statistics is Pollack's claim to fame. That's what landed him a distinguished place in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 as a John Bunn Award recipient. No one in the field of statistics has had a greater impact in the history of the game than Pollack. Pollack was keeping such statistics as minutes played, blocked shots, offensive and defensive rebounds, steals and turnovers long before the league made it part of the official boxscore."[/COLOR]

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/Poll...0607_Stats.pdf
    Last edited by jlauber; 05-19-2010 at 09:33 AM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    POLLACK is THE most RESPECTED statistician in the history of the NBA. In fact he was responsible for many of the stats that we have today. How accurate was he? He had an SI reporter track a game between Russell and Wilt, and the Boston scorekeeper had Russell with more rebounds. Pollack had Wilt with considerably more. The SI reporter confirmed that Pollack's number were EXACT. In fact, because of that, Auerbach did not speak to Pollack for years. That article that Abe posted was in 2009. Now, I could not determine what season it was from, but we know that Wilt died in 1999. As for Jordan's 3pt shooting...take away the seasons in which the NBA moved in the 3pt line, and he was a career .288 3pt shooter.

Kareem was probably well in the 50% range with his sky-hook. As Fatal9 pointed out, he had some of the most efficient 30+ ppg seasons in NBA history (although he had some low percentage seasons in the mid-70's.) And I don't consider Kareem's 80's season's FG% marks as overly impressive, since the entire NBA was shooting nearly 50%. And, Kareem only led the NBA in FG% ONE season.

As for Pollack's stats...take a look at this. Probably the most extensive collection of NBA stats anywhere...

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/08/H...lack.20090308/

[COLOR="DarkRed"]"Yet statistics is Pollack's claim to fame. That's what landed him a distinguished place in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 as a John Bunn Award recipient. No one in the field of statistics has had a greater impact in the history of the game than Pollack. Pollack was keeping such statistics as minutes played, blocked shots, offensive and defensive rebounds, steals and turnovers long before the league made it part of the official boxscore."[/COLOR]

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/Poll...0607_Stats.pdf

Irrelevant. Those stats may have been accurate for Jordan for a single season early in his career, but are FAR from accurate from the late 80s onward. As well, they are even inaccurate for Jordan in college.

The college 3PT line is 19'9". In 82-83, Jordan shot .447 from behind that line. So much for Pollack and Wilt's fantasies.
    Last edited by Soothsayer; 05-19-2010 at 03:29 PM.