Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    owwwww

Default Re: Which class is harder: Physics or Pre-Calculus

In university, I found calc a bit harder than physics. I don't find the material in calc to be hard, but just find it impossible to maintain motivation doing all those repetitive and dry problem sets (ended up doing 1 maybe 2 sets all year). I prefer courses where calc is a tool, like in physics and economics because I NEED real world applications no matter what I'm learning. I am thinking of revisiting calc next year though and take an upper year courses in it.

In physics difficulty for me went like:
    Waves/Oscillation > Nuclear Physics > Electromagnetism (most enjoyable imo) > Mechanics

Haven't taken a rigorous quantum course (probably never will).

If you're talking high school, both courses are a joke.
    Last edited by Fatal9; 02-25-2009 at 06:02 PM.

owwwww

Can anyone from the USA post their physics tests on here (1st year). I want to note the difference in difficulty between Canadian universities and American ones, if it exists.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Can anyone from the USA post their physics tests on here (1st year). I want to note the difference in difficulty between Canadian universities and American ones, if it exists.
    I would bet they are generally the same difficulty if you compare top engineering/physics universities in both nations.

Anybody use mastering physics/university physics?

NBA Superstar

I got an 82 in first year physics (mostly your basic mechanical physics minus a few chapters).

Not bad for not going to one class the second semester, not studying for the final exam and not taking any science or math classes in grade 12. lol

Basic math I'm easy with, but **** calc and ****. That stuff I'd have to study hours for to call it easy. I remember in grade 11 math (when you first really start doing a lot of that ****) I had a 72 going into the final exam and I decided not to study and just put down anwers as quickly as possibe. I got 28% on the exam and finished with a 62. lol

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    I got an 82 in first year physics (mostly your basic mechanical physics minus a few chapters).

Not bad for not going to one class the second semester, not studying for the final exam and not taking any science or math classes in grade 12. lol

Basic math I'm easy with, but **** calc and ****. That stuff I'd have to study hours for to call it easy. I remember in grade 11 math (when you first really start doing a lot of that ****) I had a 72 going into the final exam and I decided not to study and just put down anwers as quickly as possibe. I got 28% on the exam and finished with a 62. lol
    Wow you're stupid. Even without studying I would be able to ace Calculus exams. Calculus is easy.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    Wow you're stupid. Even without studying I would be able to ace Calculus exams. Calculus is easy.
    Every time we have this argument I say you can take Gary Payton and math. I never pretend to admit I have any interest in either.

And like always I dare you to debate me on any outside of that and like always you'll respond to someone else calling you out to avoid my challenge.

You're stupid. Admit it. If mommy and daddy didn't chain your Indian ass to your chair every night and force you to do 8 hours of homework you'd be in my boat. But I thank the lord they did. Your exchanges with the next Rockefeller are priceless...if only they were meant to be satirical.

rank sentamentalist

I might actually ask this here -

Say I were debating majoring in Physics for an undergrad. I've never taken a course in HS, and have no more than elementary knowledge of the subject matter. I took Pre-Cal first year and got a B- while putting in virtually no work (that won't happen again obviously if I decide to major in a science/math - I have a newfound respect for those subject). Do you guys think I would need to take a HS equivalency course before I enter the introductory classes in first year, or would I be able to get by with hard work but no foundation? Forget requirements, I'm just curious about difficulty at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    Every time we have this argument I say you can take Gary Payton and math. I never pretend to admit I have any interest in either.

And like always I dare you to debate me on any outside of that and like always you'll respond to someone else calling you out to avoid my challenge.

You're stupid. Admit it. If mommy and daddy didn't chain your Indian ass to your chair every night and force you to do 8 hours of homework you'd be in my boat. But I thank the lord they did. Your exchanges with the next Rockefeller are priceless...if only they were meant to be satirical.
    Didn't I just say I would ace Calc exams without studying? And homework? Who did that in HS?

I own you everywhere besides Music (because I only listen to indian music, so that's understandable) and emo-ness.

Got a bunch of **** talkers on here, but I've never seen anyone post a test, transcripts, degrees, term papers, assistantship awards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    I might actually ask this here -

Say I were debating majoring in Physics for an undergrad. I've never taken a course in HS, and have no more than elementary knowledge of the subject matter. I took Pre-Cal first year and got a B- while putting in virtually no work (that won't happen again obviously if I decide to major in a science/math - I have a newfound respect for those subject). Do you guys think I would need to take a HS equivalency course before I enter the introductory classes in first year, or would I be able to get by with hard work but no foundation? Forget requirements, I'm just curious about difficulty at this point.
    RiDonks me and you rarely get along, but I can give you really good advice on this topic if you're willing to listen (Off of someone else's knowledge/experience)

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Got a bunch of **** talkers on here, but I've never seen anyone post a test, transcripts, degrees, term papers, assistantship awards, etc.
    the only one I want to see is Glove's

rank sentamentalist

RiDonks me and you rarely get along, but I can give you really good advice on this topic if you're willing to listen (Off of someone else's knowledge/experience)
    Sure, go for it.

NBA Superstar

Didn't I just say I would ace Calc exams without studying? And homework? Who did that in HS?

I own you everywhere besides Music (because I only listen to indian music, so that's understandable) and emo-ness.
    No, everything outside of math and Gary Payton I own you in.

Everything.

Economics-Macro

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Here's one of my semiconductor physics homeworks from last year.

I would say it was harder than intro physics, but less difficult than particle and waves physics.