Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Which class is harder: Physics or Pre-Calculus

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Glove_20 put up or shut up. You always run your mouth and repeat the same shyt in thread like this. I mean everything was so easy that you didnt have to do this, that and the third (lame ass bragging/boasting towards others who put in time, didnt get the grade u got and/or found it difficult). Yet its not easy to back up the shyt you talk here.

You are a f*cking mensa member who passed up a Rhodes Scholarship because to you? Well you didnt have to prove to those losers you were smarter than them. Nothing was being taught you didnt know ahead of time. Investment banker who could have been a Bio Chemical Engineer but that was for suckers who couldnt hack it as an Investment Banker.

You never lose when gambling. You are ALWAYS up. And if you go 0-10? Well that doesnt matter because you won your *locks* which are 2, 3 times the amount you bet on regular games. Yanno those 10 losses? That "loss" in $$$$ was negated from the *locks* you made. So you made out. I mean you ALWAYS do. I've never met a person who gambled on sports regulary not lose. Never a down week. A down month. A down year. It doesnt exist.

Everything in life is easy to Glove_20 yet he never proves a thing. You just yap yap yap or in other words type type type. Show us visual proof of the things you do. You can EASILY (your favorite word no?) do it but always have an excuse. Much like when your teams come up short after your bogus gurantees go flop (the sound of a turd hitting the water).

Enough of you typing. Start uploading and proving the things you post here. I mean afterall all those things were EASY to do. Why shouldnt this be the same?

Glove_20: "........emo."

This is a kind of wierd question, because you are comparing a given level of math in pre-calculus, with any level of Physics class. Let me tell you there are some college physics classes that are insanely hard, these classes make Pre-calc look like kindergarten. If you are taking Physics in high school, its probably going to only use algebra and therefore be much easier than a precalculus class.

I think in general physics is harder than pre calc simply because its a broader field. If you want to compare math in general vs physics I would still pick physics.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Glove_20 put up or shut up. You always run your mouth and repeat the same shyt in thread like this. I mean everything was so easy that you didnt have to do this, that and the third (lame ass bragging/boasting towards others who put in time, didnt get the grade u got and/or found it difficult). Yet its not easy to back up the shyt you talk here.

You are a f*cking mensa member who passed up a Rhodes Scholarship because to you? Well you didnt have to prove to those losers you were smarter than them. Nothing was being taught you didnt know ahead of time. Investment banker who could have been a Bio Chemical Engineer but that was for suckers who couldnt hack it as an Investment Banker.

You never lose when gambling. You are ALWAYS up. And if you go 0-10? Well that doesnt matter because you won your *locks* which are 2, 3 times the amount you bet on regular games. Yanno those 10 losses? That "loss" in $$$$ was negated from the *locks* you made. So you made out. I mean you ALWAYS do. I've never met a person who gambled on sports regulary not lose. Never a down week. A down month. A down year. It doesnt exist.

Everything in life is easy to Glove_20 yet he never proves a thing. You just yap yap yap or in other words type type type. Show us visual proof of the things you do. You can EASILY (your favorite word no?) do it but always have an excuse. Much like when your teams come up short after your bogus gurantees go flop (the sound of a turd hitting the water).

Same clown who says you never met no one your size stronger than you. I've never heard that. Who says crap like that?

Enough of you typing. Start uploading and proving the things you post here. I mean afterall all those things were EASY to do. Why shouldnt this be the same?

And dont mistake this post for me saying everything you type is a lie. Its moreso to say you have done enough shyt talking here. Now its time to back it up. Put up or shut the f*ck up.

Physics is definetly harder... Currently taking a course right now and it's definetly harder then calculus I (not intro or pre)

Math is straight forward, physics is more concepts and applications.

LaLuzdeLucyfer
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact
    Physics is definetly harder... Currently taking a course right now and it's definetly harder then calculus I (not intro or pre)

Math is straight forward, physics is more concepts and applications.
    I don't know about you guys but Pre-Calc was much harder than AP Calc for me. Derivatives.. integrals.. related rates. optimization they all made sense.

Trig principles pissed me off back in pre=calc.

Difficulty

Advanced Physics > Calculus II > Pre-Calc > High School Physics > Calculus I > Multivariable Calculus (Relative to Age)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by LaLuzdeLucyfer
    I don't know about you guys but Pre-Calc was much harder than AP Calc for me. Derivatives.. integrals.. related rates. optimization they all made sense.

Difficulty

Advanced Physics > Calculus II > Pre-Calc > High School Physics > Calculus I > Multivariable Calculus (Relative to Age)
    Phuck Multivariable Calc. That class made absolutely zero sense to me. The only thing I got out of that was how to do a triple integral. All the conversion from cylindrical to spherical to regular coordinates is so confusing.

Calc I & II in 3D basically.

rank sentamentalist

Thanks for the, uhh, help Glove. I do appreciate the effort, trust me, but you didn't really answer any of my questions. I'm just curious if I need to take a summer course of some sort before entering into another undergraduate program, or if I can start out cold.

And yeah, I'm already pretty set on physics right now, so it's not really a question between maths and sciences. I don't really feel like sharing my reasoning, but suffice to say they really have nothing to do with anything you mentioned. :)

Again though, appreciate the effort.

I was able to get Cs in my intro physics courses that were required for engineering and I only took a conceptual physics class in HS (regular, not pre ap or AP or IB or honors) where I learned nothing. I worked my ass off for those Cs too.
    This is more along the lines of what I was looking for. This is still a little ways away, I'm going to finish up my undergrad in PoliSci first since I'm so far in already. We're talking 2 years from now - what I gather is that I'd probably be able to go in cold, but taking an introductory summer course might actually be in my best interest, just to establish a foundation. Thanks hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    Thanks for the, uhh, help Glove. I do appreciate the effort, trust me, but you didn't really answer any of my questions. I'm just curious if I need to take a summer course of some sort before entering into another undergraduate program, or if I can start out cold.

And yeah, I'm already pretty set on physics right now, so it's not really a question between maths and sciences. I don't really feel like sharing my reasoning, but suffice to say they really have nothing to do with anything you mentioned. :)

Again though, appreciate the effort.

This is more along the lines of what I was looking for. This is still a little ways away, I'm going to finish up my undergrad in PoliSci first since I'm so far in already. We're talking 2 years from now - what I gather is that I'd probably be able to go in cold, but taking an introductory summer course might actually be in my best interest, just to establish a foundation. Thanks hawk.
    Oh for sure take an intro class to get you ready for physics and also solidify that you actually want to be a physics major.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLuzdeLucyfer

Difficulty

I agree with above, except my college does not offer precalc, it starts off at calculus teaching you everything (3 quarter or 2 semester class).

Upper div. physics is some of the hardest stuff college offers. Chem and some of bio get blown away...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Oh for sure take an intro class to get you ready for physics and also solidify that you actually want to be a physics major.

Any intro class is going to be bull****, teaching you the very basics. If you want to get into a major, you have to do some research including a talk with the dean of each college.

When i took sociology, it was great... but later one (405 level) i gave up on it and took the minor.

This is a bit different for the sciences, you notice what you're getting yourself into maybe 2 classes into it. The first is generally GE bull****, you should definitely ask your counselor if you have to take the lowest (001 level or 100 level course, because sometimes there are tests that exempt you)

South Africa 2010

Obviously physics is harder than Pre-Calculus.
    AP Calculus is harder than both of them.
    Calculus II is even harder.

I answered things like how "hard" it will be for you, which you asked. I agree most of what I said was unrelated, but some parts were directly answering some of your questions.

You didn't answer why you had such a change of mindset? From dissing on engineers/sciences (kind of) to appreciating it. I thought it was purely because of the intellectual quality.

If you think pre-calc is easier than physics then that's a good indication your physics classes were a joke. Same for calc vs pre-calc. It's not even close.

I might actually ask this here -

Say I were debating majoring in Physics for an undergrad. I've never taken a course in HS, and have no more than elementary knowledge of the subject matter. I took Pre-Cal first year and got a B- while putting in virtually no work (that won't happen again obviously if I decide to major in a science/math - I have a newfound respect for those subject). Do you guys think I would need to take a HS equivalency course before I enter the introductory classes in first year, or would I be able to get by with hard work but no foundation? Forget requirements, I'm just curious about difficulty at this point.
    HS equivalency course in what subject, physics or math?

Obviously, if you haven't taken any math beyond pre-calc, then you won't be able to take physics. At the minimum you need to have completed calc 1 before you take your first physics class. Some schools might allow concurrent enrollment, but I would advise against that.

Any school you go to should have the necessary math and physics courses you need so a HS equivalency test, class, or whatever isn't necessary. Just start taking math classes at your current level and work your way up. You don't need any foundation, besides math, to start taking physics, they assume you have no prior knowledge and start off with the basics.

You seem to me like a smart fellow, I wouldn't doubt for a second you could do it.
    Last edited by Parade; 02-26-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Applenader, have you taken thermodynamics?
    I'm in chem e thermodynamics now and it flat out sucks. It's probably the hardest of my classes this semester.

To the OP, I'd definitely say basic physics is easier than pre calc but neither are too demanding so I really wouldn't sweat it. If it were college physics then, it's a whole different story. I really struggled with college physics, but I personally thought the department here sucks with teaching it because I've been fine in all my other chem/math and any other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Positive
    I'm in chem e thermodynamics now and it flat out sucks. It's probably the hardest of my classes this semester.

To the OP, I'd definitely say basic physics is easier than pre calc but neither are too demanding so I really wouldn't sweat it. If it were college physics then, it's a whole different story. I really struggled with college physics, but I personally thought the department here sucks with teaching it because I've been fine in all my other chem/math and any other classes.
    lol...im taking thermo right now. Took my first test in it last thursday and it will only get harder. It's quite interesting though.