Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups F.Sanford's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan ran a 4.3 40 yard dash, and had a 48" vertical!

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz
    The dumb just keep getting dumber in the sports fan's world my friend. Like I said, at least we get it, a lot of them never will.
    Are you kidding me with all this crap? Yes, Jordan could get the top of his head about rim level. You and you're buddies have been talking about him looking down at the rim or his mouth being at rim level. Absurd

You said "Notice Jordan's head over rim height even on "the shot"." about his pic (which is beyond laughable). It so clearly shows you know nothing about perspective that the argument shouldn't even go any further.

You also said "Jordan getting his head well above rim-level on long distance free throw line, distance and height." about this pic:

...again showing you're off your rocker. And the line you added to that pic is off. It's a straight line when it needs to be angled with the rim. Anyway.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    oh god... who cares?

seriously, you and brucey need to get a room... get yourselves a couple mj videos a tube of ky jelly and a room at motel 6 and get it out of your systems... you people are disturbing...i have never been creeped out on a message board but you two and your fanatical MJ love are down right strange
    Excuse me?

I'm sure you'll get a few giggles but I'm just stating the truth.

And obviously YOU care, or you wouldn't have continued to post over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    As I've stated before.....

Whether one wants to accept the head over the rim or the vertical measurements posted as legit, he's still been amongst the top 5 leapers in NBA history.

48 or 40 inches

Eye to rim level or head at rim level

He still dunked from the ft line with more consistency than anybody else in the history of the league.
    What has that got to do with anything? There are a lot of players who could dunk from the free throw line back then and even now.

No one is disputing Jordan can hit his head on the ring, because he most likely can. I remember Kemp grazing his head on the ring and having to get stitches.

Though there is no chance in hell Jordan ever looked into the ring. Or for that matter have a 48 inch vertical. I'd say the world record is probably 48. People don't realize how ridiculous it is claiming guys like Kadour and Air up There have 60 inch jumps. That would mean they could clear an average 10 year old child without bending their knees.

That is beyond ridiculous and no where near possible.

Excuse me?

I'm sure you'll get a few giggles but I'm just stating the truth.

And obviously YOU care, or you wouldn't have continued to post over and over.

Jordan never looked down in the ring on any of his dunks.

He is not superhuman and he isn't the best leaper in basketball history.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

I NEVER said he was the best leaper in basketball history.

Please prove where I stated that.

National High School Star

If anyone could, I may put my $$$ on Wilt Chamberlain.

Top 5 leaper in history and most consistent from the free throw line then anyone in the league.

Both false.

Banned

What has that got to do with anything? There are a lot of players who could dunk from the free throw line back then and even now.

No one is disputing Jordan can hit his head on the ring, because he most likely can. I remember Kemp grazing his head on the ring and having to get stitches.

Though there is no chance in hell Jordan ever looked into the ring. Or for that matter have a 48 inch vertical. I'd say the world record is probably 48. People don't realize how ridiculous it is claiming guys like Kadour and Air up There have 60 inch jumps. That would mean they could clear an average 10 year old child without bending their knees.

Where are you getting your 'facts' from exactly? Several sources have claimed that Jordan had a maximum vertical in the 45"+ range. Who are you to say a certain veritcal is not possible? Might want to give this guy a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoKhEiAHfYs

Let me guess, it's the angles right? He's not really getting that high and hanging in the air that long, it's all an opticall illusion.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 03-07-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Why does it seem so ridiculous?

I'm not agreeing that they can jump 50 inches or 60, but somebody jumping eye level with the rim isn't as unfathomable as some of you think.

I also NEVER said that MJ was the ONLY or one of the few that could dunk from the ft line.

Again.... you're misquoting me.

Please read before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Where are you getting your 'facts' from exactly? Several sources have claimed that Jordan had a maximum vertical in the 45"+ range. Who are you to say a certain veritcal is not possible? Might want to give this guy a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoKhEiAHfYs

Let me guess, it's the angles right? He's not really getting that high and hanging in the air that long.
    I know who Leonel Marshall is. Again I doubt he has a 50 inch vertical. He is probably at the peak of human jumping. Somewhere between the 44-48 inch range.

Think of it this way. The highest jumpers in the world will all be competing in the high jump competition. The high jump world record is 2.45m.
    Seeing as in high jump the technique is to use the arch of your back and contort your body over accordingly. Now look at the arch of your back on your own body. If you are 1.8m tall, it's probably 60-65cm away from the top of your head.

Going by that, that would mean there is 1.2m difference between the arch of your back and the bottom of your feet. Now this is rough, but take that from 2.45 (which remember is the absolute highest anyone has jumped) and you are left with 1.25m. This translates roughly to 48 inches.

See my point? The world record holder is jumping 48 inches, and you are telling me there are 50 inch jumpers not competing in the Olympics?

Why does it seem so ridiculous?

I'm not agreeing that they can jump 50 inches or 60, but somebody jumping eye level with the rim isn't as unfathomable as some of you think.

I also NEVER said that MJ was the ONLY or one of the few that could dunk from the ft line.

Again.... you're misquoting me.

Please read before posting.
    Well saying Jordan can look down into the ring puts him at the 45 inch vertical category, which he wasn't.

I know who Leonel Marshall is. Again I doubt he has a 50 inch vertical. He is probably at the peak of human jumping. Somewhere between the 44-48 inch range.

Think of it this way. The highest jumpers in the world will all be competing in the high jump competition. The high jump world record is 2.45m.
    Seeing as in high jump the technique is to use the arch of your back and contort your body over accordingly. Now look at the arch of your back on your own body. If you are 1.8m tall, it's probably 60-65cm away from the top of your head.

Going by that, that would mean there is 1.2m difference between the arch of your back and the bottom of your feet. Now this is rough, but take that from 2.45 (which remember is the absolute highest anyone has jumped) and you are left with 1.25m. This translates roughly to 48 inches.

See my point? The world record holder is jumping 48 inches, and you are telling me there are 50 inch jumpers not competing in the Olympics?
    BTW, this was all if the guy was 6 foot, though the world record holder is 6'5, so his jump wouldn't even be 50 inches like predicted if he was 6 foot.

Top 5 leaper in history and most consistent from the free throw line then anyone in the league.

Both false.
    Please name me another player that could dunk from the ft line more consistently than MJ.

And MJ not a top 5 NBA leaper in history?

Oh.... I'd really love to see that.

And why is it so hard for you to believe anything over 40 is a hoax?

Are you discrediting every measurement ever done? are you discrediting the measuring methods?

I've seen plenty of players with their head slightly over the rim or looking at the rim. You must not be a seasoned basketball fan if you haven't seen that or refuse to believe in that.

Have you even seen some of Ziani's dunks?

Your absolute belief that its beyond human's capabilities is extremely flawed.

Well saying Jordan can look down into the ring puts him at the 45 inch vertical category, which he wasn't.
    A. How do you know? There's more evidence that says he had a 48 inch vertical than a 42 inch vertical.

B. Even if he was measured at 44 or 42, don't you think there could be situations where he could actually jump that high? Lets take MJ out of the equation... are you saying that humans in general aren't capable of feats bigger than their norm under certain circumstances? such as adrenaline for example? It happens ALL THE TIME IN SPORTS where somebody performs better than they've ever done before. Ever witnessed any Olympic events?

C. You tried to compare a high jumper to a basketball player dunking. But here's where you show your lack of knowledge...... its two completely different methods of jumping. I do agree it ultimately takes raw jumping ability to jump high and dunk. But the motions for lift also have a good deal to do with that. A high jumper wouldn't jump how he would jump in a high jump competition. James White can jump very high, but that doesn't automatically mean he'd be breaking world records and vice versa. Just like a person that runs the 100 meters and the person that runs the 200 or 400. Also... a great high jumper doesn't guarantee he'd be a great long distance jumper and vice versa.

I'm still very confused at your adamant capping of how high a human's vertical can be.

48 inches isn't a superhuman feat dude.

Link to vertical leap

Although they posted Dr.J has a 41 inch vert and Julius Erving has a 43 inch vert somewhat makes this lose credibility.