Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Howard Or Yao

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Howard Or Yao

Like I've been saying for 3 damn years now....."until Howard develops post skills, he'll never be the best center in the league" Post Skills.....Dwight needs to learn them pronto.
    He leads the league in rebounds and blocks while scoring 21 a game on shaq like shooting percentages on a team thats gonna win 60 games. I dare say hes doing fine as is.

Centers have always needed what Howard does just as much as what Yao does. Maybe more even. Post scoring isnt really more important for a bigman than his defense and rebounding. Maybe in some situations. But he puts up 20+ a night doing what he does now just as Yao can still impact the D with his size and rebound pretty well. There is little to suggest Yao is more effective than Dwight really. Post skills alone dont make you better than anyone without them. Rony Seikaly had more post skills and was probably even a better rebounder than Zo....doesnt make him more effective.

Besides if you have been saying it the last 3 years.....Yao has not been healthy in any of them. Being injury prone doesnt make you a worse player but it does make you unreliable. Yao has been healthy by his standards this year and missed more games than Howard has his entire career.

I dont think yao ever has or ever will be considered the best center in the NBA. maybe for a minute in 06 or so when Shaq was showing age and Amare was out and for a little while in 07 as well. But Shaq came on strong in 06 and still ended up first team. Amare owned 07 really. Now Howard likely holds the top spot the next 7-8 years at least along with whoever comes up.

Yao is coming up on 30 fast and while hes still very very good hes not likely to get any better unless he suddenly gets Shaqs mentality soon.

I dont think he will ever be as dominant as he could have been. He has it in him talent wise...but I dont think hes got the heart. Just too passive to be all he can be. Id like to see him win a little in the playoffs though if only to not be one of those "Never won" guys like tmac. Hes hard to dislike.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 04-08-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    He leads the league in rebounds and blocks while scoring 21 a game on shaq like shooting percentages on a team thats gonna win 60 games. I dare say hes doing fine as is.

Centers have always needed what Howard does just as much as what Yao does. Maybe more even. Post scoring isnt really more important for a bigman than his defense and rebounding. Maybe in some situations. But he puts up 20+ a night doing what he does now just as Yao can still impact the D with his size and rebound pretty well. There is little to suggest Yao is more effective than Dwight really. Post skills alone dont make you better than anyone without them. Rony Seikaly had more post skills and was probably even a better rebounder than Zo....doesnt make him more effective.

Besides if you have been saying it the last 3 years.....Yao has not been healthy in any of them. Being injury prone doesnt make you a worse player but it does make you unreliable. Yao has been healthy by his standards this year and missed more games than Howard has his entire career.

I dont think yao ever has or ever will be considered the best center in the NBA. maybe for a minute in 06 or so when Shaq was showing age and Amare was out and for a little while in 07 as well. But Shaq came on strong in 06 and still ended up first team. Amare owned 07 really. Now Howard likely holds the top spot the next 7-8 years at least along with whoever comes up.

Yao is coming up on 30 fast and while hes still very very good hes not likely to get any better unless he suddenly gets Shaqs mentality soon.

I dont think he will ever be as dominant as he could have been. He has it in him talent wise...but I dont think hes got the heart. Just too passive to be all he can be. Id like to see him win a little in the playoffs though if only to not be one of those "Never won" guys like tmac. Hes hard to dislike.
    Sorry, but I'm not going to lie.......I didn't read 90% of what you just typed, it's too late.

All I saw was "Post scoring isnt really more important for a bigman than his defense and rebounding" and pretty much discarded everything else you typed....because that's a joke, LOL funny.

Let me say this again.....if Dwight never learns legit ass post moves, his team will never win sh[COLOR="Black"]it[/COLOR]....plain and simple. The day he does win crap without post moves, whoever reads this thread and the guy that posted the response above can feel free to bump this thread.

Again....Dwight won't win crap until he learns how to play the center position..(and as a long time Houston fan...I know all I need to know about the "CENTER POSITION" Athleticism will only get you and your team so far.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 04-08-2009 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
    but when he plays against the best bigs in the league and playoff type teams that can keep him from the basket he gets his teeth kicked in.
    Funny how the "best rebounder and shot blocker in the league" can never outrebound or out shot block little ol' Yao Ming....you know the crappy rebounder/shot blocker who's 7'6 and is a underachiever in that department due to his size...I mean he is 7'6, he should be grabbing 25 rebounds a game and blocking 10 shots per game.
    Head to head matchup I

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Very good point. I love Yao but it really does seem like he just isn't built to be super aggressive. I love T-Mac but it seems like one of them needs to go or they need to rebuild around T-Mac and Yao....again. If someone were to come to the team and bring out the Shaq in him like I thought T-Mac and VG would do...it would be game over. An aggressive Yao could put up numbers like 25-30/14-16/4-5/......Maybe a Lebron/Wade FA signing could do it..

That being said...Yao is better than Dwight at this point. Howard doesn't have the offensive skills Yao has....

Sorry, but I'm not going to lie.......I didn't read 90% of what you just typed, it's too late.

Your loss. Kblaze made a fantastic post which accurately sums up the pros and cons of Howard or Yao. Its pretty obvious from the garbage you posted that you are just another rockets troll, so I dont know why I am even wasting my time telling you to wake up.

Anyway repped Kblaze for the wisdom.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BonyFaceNDong
    Yao has never been surrounded with shooters and great PGs. He did average 25/9 under JVG before that freak accident. But under Adelman, the plan is everybody gets to shoot, Artest is selfish, Brooks has no idea how to get the ball to Yao, and Yao is just too nice to yell at them.
    This is like the most accurate post about Yao.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    Your loss. Kblaze made a fantastic post which accurately sums up the pros and cons of Howard or Yao. Its pretty obvious from the garbage you posted that you are just another rockets troll, so I dont know why I am even wasting my time telling you to wake up.

Anyway repped Kblaze for the wisdom.
    Umm....not really "pal", every post you've made on this subject has been anti-Yao...so continue to slob that knob...it's what you're good at.

I made good points against Kblaze, and he's free to answer them.

Like I said....wake me when this kid learns post moves and Kblaze lost me when he said they weren't important.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 04-08-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Local High School Star

Dumbass....it's "you're lost" not "your lost" who the hell am I talking to, Charles Barkley?
    lol.

Umm....not really "pal", every post you've made on this subject has been anti-Yao...so continue to slob that knob...it's what you're good at.

I made good points against Kblaze, and he's free to answer them.

Like I said....wake me when this kid learns post moves and Kblaze lost me when he said they weren't important.
    I am not anti Yao, I just dont think he is as good as Dwight. Yao is easily the second best center in the NBA, and Shaq is probably the third.

Sure post moves are important. Other things are important too.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    I am not anti Yao, I just dont think he is as good as Dwight. Yao is easily the second best center in the NBA, and Shaq is probably the third.

Sure post moves are important. Other things are important too.
    The problem I have with Dwight is that he can't score when he wants to. He has to let the game come to him, with Yao you can force feed him. Although fronting defense is something Yao has a huge problem with, scrubs often look like premier defenders.

NBA lottery pick

How many times does yao have to dominate dwight for people to see before he gets his due appreciation.this board has lost the plot.btw,dont call me a blind rockets fan, i critisise yao when he has a bad game like anyother player who wears holly rockets unjform.

National High School Star

Frst off to TMac&Luther, how can you reply to a post you haven't even read? Or maybe you did and didn't want to acknowledge what was being said.

In any case this thread is just called Howard or Yao. I personally would pick Howard. Maybe if the only 2 teams in the NBA were the Magic and the Rockets then I'd pick Yao since a lot of the reason for him being ahead of Howard in the eyes of some posters is his head to head results, but since there are 30 teams in the league and 82 games to be played a year, I'm going to have to go with Howard, especially with his year to year improvement. Yao is definitely more skilled when it comes to offense, but Kblaze made a good point, that skill alone doesn't necessarily make a player more effective.

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
    But Yao dominates everything but....

Yao's soft & yet Dwight cant stop him which means..

I'd have to take Yao, although it's extremely close.
    Yao has such a refined offensive game, and is a great presence on D.
    Dwight needs to develop a 12footer and a go to move in the post.

looking at their last 5 head to head clashes and you gotta say Yao is outplaying superman when they go up against one another.

March 11 2007

Yao: 37/7
    Dwight: 16/12

Rocket victory.

December 19 2007

Yao: 19/17
    Dwight: 21/11

Magic victory.

January 4 2008

Yao: 26/10
    Dwight: 16/8

Rocket victory.