Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default How is Bill russel Top 3 Center of all time?

He isn't on shaq,kareem, The dream,Wilt, and moses level.

Banned

Default Re: How is Bill russel Top 3 Center of all time?

How? Good question.

The answer is because people like to pretend they have a clue about this game when they really don't.

Anyone who's watched ball for 15+ years can tell you that Bill Russell has a case for being the most overrated player of the last 50 years.

I can say that Bill Russell would be no better than Marcus Camby if he played in today's league.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Trash
    How? Good question.

The answer is because people like to pretend they have a clue about this game when they really don't.

Anyone who's watched ball for 15+ years can tell you that Bill Russell has a case for being the most overrated player of the last 50 years.

I can say that Bill Russell would be no better than Marcus Camby if he played in today's league.
    I would say more like Ben wallace in his prime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    I would say more like Ben wallace in his prime.
    An example of Bill in this era four years ago would be Ben Wallace with 4 HOF and with the average all star having the skill of Kareem Rush.

"Here's how son!"

Local High School Star

First, some basic questions -
    Q: What should be the primary responsibility of a center?
    A: Defense, controlling the flow of offense and defense in the paint. Rebounding, blocking shots, forcing team to stay out of the lane, win games.

Bill Russell did all of this. Yes, we all know he wasn't a great shooter. Nobody was back then. Dolph Schayes shot below 40% fourteen times in his fifteen year career, and he's in the hall of fame. Russell's presence forced teams to rethink their game plan. He blocked shots the right way, the way that ignites the fast break, where he was one of the master big men at such.

I have never really understood why he gets brushed under the rug so often. His height? Then why is he still #2 all time in rebounds, and probably will be for a long while because nobody can approach 20k in boards? His shooting? You win me more rings than fingers, and help most of your roster have HOF careers, you can shoot as mediocre as you want. What more should he have done, exactly? He won personal accolades, team accolades, really, what more should he have done? Most dominant ever? Maybe not in critics eyes because Wilt averaged 28 points and 28 rebounds against him, but Bill Russell won games. Won championships. More than Shaq & Kareem combined.

What more did he have to do?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    An example of Bill in this era four years ago would be Ben Wallace with 4 HOF and with the average all star having the skill of Kareem Rush.
    I did my studying and watched all the 60s classics gms has i could. They dribbled with one freaking hand and are slow has ****. The celtics PG was a beast tho.lol He made some crazy no look passes.

I guess we should all just ignore the intangibles that don't show up on a boxscore, such as team leadership (and coaching while playing, literally), unselfishness, constitution and mental fortitude (imagine today's ***** athletes in the racist 60's. They couldn't handle it), etc.

What Russell did was the most important thing for that team. He controlled the paint, and was possibly the best shot blocker ever (but they didn't record those stats back then). Rebounding the basketball is incredibly important. On defense, it limits the scoring chances of the opposition, while sparking the offense by the fastbreak (Russell was a great passer that ignited the Celtic's transition game). On offense, he wasn't just a Ben Wallace type who had no offensive ability. He could score (as shown when he was the team's second leading scorer), but he didn't need to because he was surrounded by other players who could fill that role. Cousy, Hondo, Jones (both), all could spread out the offensive load while Russell could control the game in the post.

If you look at the impact a prime Mutombo and Wallace had, and then imagine a better player overall who was a better passer, scorer, team leader, and winner, and you have a player that nobody should call overrated.
    Last edited by Showtime; 04-10-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

"Here's how son!"
    What about the other 11 guys on the team??

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    I guess we should all just ignore the intangibles that don't show up on a boxscore, such as team leadership (and coaching while playing, literally), unselfishness, constitution and mental fortitude (imagine today's ***** athletes in the racist 60's. They couldn't handle it), etc.

What Russell did was the most important thing for that team. He controlled the paint, and was possibly the best shot blocker ever (but they didn't record those stats back then). Rebounding the basketball is incredibly important. On defense, it limits the scoring chances of the opposition, while sparking the offense by the fastbreak (Russell was a great passer that ignited the Celtic's transition game). On offense, he wasn't just a Ben Wallace type who had no offensive ability. He could score (as shown when he was the team's second leading scorer), but he didn't need to because he was surrounded by other players who could fill that role. Cousy, Hondo, Jones (both), all could spread out the offensive load while Russell could control the game in the post.

If you look at the impact a prime Mutombo and Wallace had, and then imagine a better player overall who was a better passer, scorer, team leader, and winner, and you have a player that nobody should call overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
    People talk about Bill as if he wasn't relevant on offense. He was arguably their most important offensive player with how he started the break and controlled the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69q2...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    People talk about Bill as if he wasn't relevant on offense. He was arguably their most important offensive player with how he started the break and controlled the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69q2...eature=related

Which is an intangible aspect of the game, that most pee wee fans dont know about, nor do they care to know about, or acknowledge.

hi first post! bill russell may have played in a weak era, but rings are rings, and 11 rings are more than anyone have

If I have to tell you then you don't need to post on a basketball MB.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Which is an intangible aspect of the game, that most pee wee fans dont know about, nor do they care to know about, or acknowledge.

Thank you