Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Default Re: LMAO at Van Gundy saying Scottie Pippen is not a Hall of Famer

Question for andgar, when you get a chance....

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz

OK, SO IF YOU ARE THE TYPE OF FAN WHO THINKS PLAYERS TODAY ARE BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. THAT MEANS THEY WERE BORN LATER THAN THE PLAYERS OF OLD? AM I CORRECT?

SO, FOLLOW ME HERE, THE LEAGUE'S TALLEST YEAR FOR AVERAGE HEIGHT WAS IN 1987.
    You can see the statistics right here on the bottom left of this link:
    http://www.nba.com/news/survey_2007.html

Players weigh more now.

SO, IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE THAT THINKS PLAYERS TODAY ARE STRONGER AND FASTER, [COLOR="Red"]THAT MEANS IF PLAYERS FROM THE OLD SCHOOL WERE BORN AT THE SAME TIME AS PLAYERS TODAY, THEY WOULD BE BIGGER, FASTER, AND STRONGER TOO[/COLOR],[COLOR="Blue"] AM I NOT CORRECT[/COLOR]?

Discrediting the players of the old school is retarded.

Imagine Jerry West with the athleticism of a Brent Barry(in his prime)

Get the **** out of here with this bull ****.

Jordan and Pippen would school those two.

Also, quit acting like the athletes of Jordan's era were bums.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uc465y2tl4
    Do you comprehend what I'm saying with this andgar?
    Last edited by bruceblitz; 04-12-2009 at 07:22 PM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes actually, Pippen and Jordan were superior post players compared to Kobe and LeBron. When you are playing 1 on 1 basketball, are not post moves the most effective way to score? hmmm.
    There's less players on the court which means more space. Also, the pace and type of play is much, much more different.

Another thing some people are missing......

THS IS A HALF COURT GAME!!!!

Some people give the illusion that Bron would be penetrating left and right, but that basically happens more on a break. If Pip is guarding him, he's quick enough to stay in front of him, and long/athletic enough to contest him.

*back to the original discussion*

So when people are in a 2 on 2 situation, there's usually a post up player. Because it works best that way..... why? its easier to run a pick and roll, or screens that way. Its harder to do that if both players are in the perimeter jacking up shots. If you take long distance shots and you miss, the defensive team will get the ball 8 outta 10 times due to all the space on the court. So its not smart to take a shot that's only 35% effective.

I can easily see Pip and MJ allow Kobe and Bron all the 3s they want. And since Bron really isn't a post up player, I can have MJ on Bron. If Bowen can do a great job Bron, imagine MJ?

So the players with the best post up game usually wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Pippen was never a great scorer in the NBA, much less dominant, so why would he dominate in a 2-on-2 game? He was a good post player by the mid 90's, not great. And the fact that you and andgar continue to imply that LeBron/Kobe would do little besides facing up and shooting in this game tells me all I need to know. You spend hours watching and editing LeBron's games and putting up on YT...how can you be so ignorant about his abilities?
    No, I'm not being ignorant, I was aiming that comment more towards Kobe, you are 100% correct in the assertion that LeBron would attempt to drive to the rim a lot. He's become more of a shooter this year, which personally, I don't like, I would rather see him attack the rim, but he's probably trying to prolong his career at this point and watch his "mileage". That being said, I think Pippen could contain him to the perimeter better than anyone today, that's for sure, which would limit his effectiveness. Pippen was great at contesting shots. I'm not saying they would roll over LeBron and Kobe, I'm just saying, the chemistry between Jordan and Pippen, combined with their own individual abilities would be too much for Kobe and LeBron to handle in a 2 on 2 game. I'm glad you found my LeBron channel, that's great. He's my favorite player today. The videos you see on youtube, well, that's just me getting up as much footage as I can. A lot of the time I just end up watching it streaming online (his games) as well as Kobe's. I record as many as I can, but I'm not a robot. That being said I've watched all 4 players's careers intensely. If you didn't live in Chicago it was impossible to watch an 82 games bulls season during Jordan and Pippen's primes. When I think about unstoppable duos I think of Jordan and Pippen and all the times I watched them impose their will, with their skills, on opponents. I just truly think they would be too much for Kobe and LeBron. Hey, it's a compliment to Kobe and LeBron to even be in this discussion and I truly believe they deserve considerations with this type of discussion. That being said, I also think D Wade and LeBron would be as much if not more of a handful for Jordan and Pippen, with Jordan and Pippen coming out on top in that matchup too.

I think the one thing that would put Pippen and Jordan over the top against Wade/LeBron or Kobe/Wade or Kobe/LeBron in a 2 on 2 contest, it's simple quite actually. Jordan's competitive drive was borderline psycho. He just refused to lose. I don't care if it was cards, blackjack, basketball, golf, you name it, he had to win. Let's say Kobe and LeBron are tied with Jordan and Pippen at 14 points, first to 21. Do you really think at this point that Jordan wouldn't just go crazy and take that ball every play, doing whatever it takes to win?

Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

I actually would rather see Jordan and Pippen play Hakeem and KG before I would want to see them play Kobe and LeBron. I think that would be a more interesting matchup.
    The big guys would almost always win in that type of situation. The spacing of the floor in a 2 on 2 game really slants the game towards the bigs.

In the 1970s, the NBA had one on one contests, and the bigs nearly always beat the smaller players. Slightly different, but the main issue would be the same IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush4Ever
    The big guys would almost always win in that type of situation. The spacing of the floor in a 2 on 2 game really slants the game towards the bigs.

In the 1970s, the NBA had one on one contests, and the bigs nearly always beat the smaller players. Slightly different, but the main issue would be the same IMO.
    That's my point exactly. Pippen and Jordan were two of the best perimeter defenders of all time, if not the actual 2 best. Their offensive skill-sets were nearly unstoppable without the assist of help defense. It would be almost nearly impossible to match-up 2 other perimeter players who could beat them 2 on 2. That's not even talking about the chemistry, and Jordan's psycho-like competitive drive.

That's why I would rather see a KG/Hakeem matchup vs Jordan/Pippen. Could they overcome those types of odds? It's hard to say yes.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Question for andgar, when you get a chance....

Do you comprehend what I'm saying with this andgar?
    Yeah..... I never understood that argument.

I mean.... if Magic played in this era he'd also benefit from today's technology, training, etc.

Imagine Bird?

Like you mentioned, just imagine how freakish Wilt would be today?

Of course tho..... if they were born today, they'd be missing the fundamentals and small things that made past eras great.

So if Larry Hughes was born in 64, he'd be a completely different player. He would've gone to college, wouldn't be as physically big, maybe wouldn't be as selfish, possibly made better decisions etc.etc.

But the ONLY reason I even compare MJ and his generation is......

We got a glimpse of MJ in today's era vs today's athletes.

We get glimpses all the time with Mutombo.

We get glimpses with Shaq.

And these players are past their prime.

If it wasn't for MJ playing in his late 30s (early 40), then I don't think it any comparison or argument could be made.

But we saw Mj play in the 80s, with a crossbreed of players from the 70s, saw him play in the 90s and 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Yeah..... I never understood that argument.

I mean.... if Magic played in this era he'd also benefit from today's technology, training, etc.

Imagine Bird?

Like you mentioned, just imagine how freakish Wilt would be today?

Of course tho..... if they were born today, they'd be missing the fundamentals and small things that made past eras great.

So if Larry Hughes was born in 64, he'd be a completely different player. He would've gone to college, wouldn't be as physically big, maybe wouldn't be as selfish, possibly made better decisions etc.etc.

But the ONLY reason I even compare MJ and his generation is......

We got a glimpse of MJ in today's era vs today's athletes.

We get glimpses all the time with Mutombo.

We get glimpses with Shaq.

And these players are past their prime.

If it wasn't for MJ playing in his late 30s (early 40), then I don't think it any comparison or argument could be made.

But we saw Mj play in the 80s, with a crossbreed of players from the 70s, saw him play in the 90s and 2K.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCRre...e=channel_page
    A little past 1:55 of this video, I just love the moves he puts on Paul Pierce. Or how about that upload Hoops has where Minnesota decided to put KG on Jordan as the main defender, and Jordan was just torching him. I think a lot of these youngsters even missed those games man.

I think the one thing that would put Pippen and Jordan over the top against Wade/LeBron or Kobe/Wade or Kobe/LeBron in a 2 on 2 contest, it's simple quite actually. Jordan's competitive drive was borderline psycho. He just refused to lose. I don't care if it was cards, blackjack, basketball, golf, you name it, he had to win. Let's say Kobe and LeBron are tied with Jordan and Pippen at 14 points, first to 21. Do you really think at this point that Jordan wouldn't just go crazy and take that ball every play, doing whatever it takes to win?
    Oh dear how dare anyone challenge MJ's will to win. MJ would beat Kobe/Bron in these activities.

Who would win in NBA2k9 on xbox 360? MJ wouldnt lose. You think if he was down 5pts with 2mins left he wouldnt find a way to win? If MJ played NBA2k9 on xbox live he would be the #1 ranked player in the country. He simply couldnt lose. His comeptitive drive was borderline psycho.

Tiger Woods vs MJ in golf. Tiger is great and all but you think MJ would lose? Do you? Obviously you never seen him play outside of youtbue videos.

Hey andgar do you agree???????????? U there?

This message is hidden because GOBB is on your ignore list.

Banned

Did anyone eelse get this great laugh from one of the guys during the Cavs game put LeBron as their MIP? Man I was like WTF is this guy thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    Did anyone eelse get this great laugh from one of the guys during the Cavs game put LeBron as their MIP? Man I was like WTF is this guy thinking.
    Yeah, that was pretty sad.