Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: How would you define "pure shooter"??

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    when the shot is so sweet you want to grab it by the hips and f**k the s**t out of it... that's when you're witnessing a pure shooter at work.
    No homo?

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    A pure shooter is someone who can shoot in any situation.

Three pointers
    Mid Range
    In between game [floaters]
    Fade away
    off balance shots
    coming off screens or picks
    off the dribble

etc.
    if you're specifying getting the jump shot off under all those circumstances, but without changing the form of the shot itself, i would be inclined to agree. there are other guys who have a more broad range of shots that they use, and they cycle between them depending on where they're operating. for reference: bernard king, charles barkley--great scorers, but not pure shooters as such.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordan23
    No homo?
    definitely no homo. i said the SHOT, not the player. hahahaha

Decent playground baller krazy19's Avatar

Michael Redd? From what I've seen of him, all he does is shoot.

hey, Ray Allen's Jump Shot... if you're out there listening, baby... i've got a little something i want to say, and... i hope you know this comes from the heart.

Ray don't love you like i'd love you, baby... you fine, sweet thang, and... i just wanna get next to you, to love you like you need to be loved. you mean the world to me, and that's real.

Ray Allen's Jump Shot, this song goes out to you... give it a listen, and uh... if you ever decide to leave that man, you and i can make sweet music of our own, baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18TLHhhHZCA

think about it... aaaaawwwwwww, yyyyeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh.... mmmmhhhmmmmm....

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz
    When you rank pure shooters, to me it has a lot to do with form. Shooting form. Other factors come into it, but shooting form has a lot to do with it, in my opinion. Kind of like Glen Rice and Dale Ellis, those were pure shooters.

Reggie Miller was a great shooter, but just go watch footage of his goofy form, most people don't call him a "pure shooter". I'd bet you get more people who call Ray Allen a pure shooter before they would Reggie Miller. Even though I found a flaw in Ray Allen's form....
    I've always thought of Reggie as a "pure shooter" and have heard him being called that, despite his technically flawed form.

Banned

How do you f*ck a jumpshot without looking like you're trying to do Allen?

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    How do you f*ck a jumpshot without looking like you're trying to do Allen?
    where there's a will, there's a way.

Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    I've always thought of Reggie as a "pure shooter" and have heard him being called that, despite his technically flawed form.
    Oh I agree, some people would rank him as that because his outside shot was so consistent. That being said, for me a pure shooter is someone who displays a "pure" shot with "pure" form. I've never seen anyone else with the type of form that Larry Bird and Reggie Miller use. Players like Dale Ellis, Glen Rice, and Ray Allen show text book form, for the most part.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Oh I agree, some people would rank him as that because his outside shot was so consistent. That being said, for me a pure shooter is someone who displays a "pure" shot with "pure" form. I've never seen anyone else with the type of form that Larry Bird and Reggie Miller use. Players like Dale Ellis, Glen Rice, and Ray Allen show text book form, for the most part.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
    agreed for the most part.

dirk has elements of bird's form in his shot--the ball coming high above his head, with his shooting arm elbow out in front of his head, protecting the ball (and making it hard as f**k to block without fouling). they also twist their strong side a bit farther in front of them than a lot of shooters.

reggie... his shooting hand was fairly textbook... made the right angles at elbow and wrist, etc... but he pulled it up in front of his face, and that guide hand REALLY got retarded.

agreed for the most part.

dirk has elements of bird's form in his shot--the ball coming high above his head, with his shooting arm elbow out in front of his head, protecting the ball (and making it hard as f**k to block without fouling). they also twist their strong side a bit farther in front of them than a lot of shooters.

reggie... his shooting hand was fairly textbook... made the right angles at elbow and wrist, etc... but he pulled it up in front of his face, and that guide hand REALLY got retarded.
    dude, he pushes the ball with both hands and his wrists almost end up touching each other in his ugly ass follow through. I'm not trying to turn this into a debate, but he had goofy ass form. I agree on the Dirk opinion though. Bird and Dirk's shot form was closer to text book than Reggie Miller's, that's not saying much. Let me see if I can find a good closeup of Reggie's jacked up form.

Blu Ray

I don't really see the problem with someone having an unusual form. If it goes in, it goes in.

dude, he pushes the ball with both hands and his wrists almost end up touching each other in his ugly ass follow through. I'm not trying to turn this into a debate, but he had goofy ass form. I agree on the Dirk opinion though. Bird and Dirk's shot form was closer to text book than Reggie Miller's, that's not saying much. Let me see if I can find a good closeup of Reggie's jacked up form.

that's not pushing off with both hands, it's having a jacked up guide hand mechanic, like i said.

if he tucks his shooting elbow in, his strong hand is virtually textbook. the guide hand is what f**ks up the whole thing when you look at it.

that's not pushing off with both hands, it's having a jacked up guide hand mechanic, like i said.

if he tucks his shooting elbow in, his strong hand is virtually textbook. the guide hand is what f**ks up the whole thing when you look at it.
    I'm seriously wondering how much of Reggie Miller's career you saw.