Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Michael Jordan: "Kobe wouldn't beat me 1-on-1 in my prime"

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz
    I can't disagree with Jordan. Jordan was one of the best 1 on 1 players of all time. People forget that he had Scottie Pippen defending him every day in practice. Ex-Bulls say the best games they saw were in practice when Jordan and Scottie would go at it. I'm sure Jordan pulled out all the playground type moves in those games.

Kobe vs Jordan, first to 21 points?

Jordan's competitive drive and amazing skill-set wins out:

Jordan 21
    Kobe 14

"Jordan would rip your heart out..." -George Karl
    People dont realize that 2 guards can be beat by post players with a little ball handling skils rather easily. There are many players in history that could beat MJ, Kobe isnt one of them, but I could see a big small forward or power forward with decent handle doing it. They would just have to back him up into layups. I know Jordan was strong but he wasnt messing with a larry johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    People dont realize that 2 guards can be beat by post players with a little ball handling skils rather easily. There are many players in history that could beat MJ, Kobe isnt one of them, but I could see a big small forward or power forward with decent handle doing it. They would just have to back him up into layups. I know Jordan was strong but he wasnt messing with a larry johnson.
    he was stopping 6'9" magic johnson in the post in 91 finals without help most of the time.

Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

I think Kobe trying to defend Pippen in the post illustrates what you are saying.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnD67NnYir8

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Talking Re: Michael Jordan: "Kobe wouldn't beat me 1-on-1 in my prime"

One major thing you guys are all forgetting.

MJ played against Kobe during Kobe's physical prime and when he was in possibly his skills prime.

So in essence he knows what to expect and how to play him.

MJ is extremely smart, he might get beat from time to time by Kobe. But he won't do it with the same move twice.

Even in his Wizards days, MJ didn't let people use the same move on him twice, he'd see the move coming before the offensive player did.

Why?

He let his defense dictate the game, not the other way around. So if I'm forcing you to the left, and you give me a good move, I'll keep that in mind. So when I force you to the left again, I'll know exactly what to expect and beat you before you make your move. You'll only have a few options and I'll be aware of those and react before you even have time to make them.

So... the result would be in a very tough contested shot from that point on, since your moves are already scouted.

Call me what ever you want, that's just the reality of the situation.

On the other hand, I've seen Kobe make the same mistake over and over and over on defense. I've seen him get beat by the same move by the same player in the same game, countless times.

And.... MJ would be too athletic for Kobe.

His athleticism alone would make Kobe frustrated.

Pick any Kobe era.

The early no.8 version isn't smart or good enough. The later 8 version isn't athletic enough.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    I'm just trying to give an estimate. I think Jordan is more likely to win than Kobe, but I do think Kobe could win as well. So I'd say MJ takes about 7 out of 10 games they play. Just like how, when comparing the greatest teams of all-time (e.g., the '96 Bulls vs. '86 Celts), I always say that one team will win X/10 series they played vs. one another, since it's unlikely that teams (or in this case players) on that level will ALWAYS win.
    I knew what you meant. Just poking fun at when people always do it that way tho. x out of 10.

Wouldn't MJ have more pride than resorting to cheating if he played 1 on 1 against someone?
    MJ got away with cheating while in the NBA. He wouldnt call it cheating moreso taking advantage of what is given to you or what you get away with. Plus Rip Hamilton put MJ on blast awhile back for cheating whenever the two played 1 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    One major thing you guys are all forgetting.

MJ played against Kobe during Kobe's physical prime and when he was in possibly his skills prime.

So in essence he knows what to expect and how to play him.

MJ is extremely smart, he might get beat from time to time by Kobe. But he won't do it with the same move twice.

Even in his Wizards days, MJ didn't let people use the same move on him twice, he'd see the move coming before the offensive player did.

Why?

He let his defense dictate the game, not the other way around. So if I'm forcing you to the left, and you give me a good move, I'll keep that in mind. So when I force you to the left again, I'll know exactly what to expect and beat you before you make your move. You'll only have a few options and I'll be aware of those and react before you even have time to make them.

So... the result would be in a very tough contested shot from that point on, since your moves are already scouted.

Call me what ever you want, that's just the reality of the situation.

On the other hand, I've seen Kobe make the same mistake over and over and over on defense. I've seen him get beat by the same move by the same player in the same game, countless times.

And.... MJ would be too athletic for Kobe.

His athleticism alone would make Kobe frustrated.

Pick any Kobe era.

The early no.8 version isn't smart or good enough. The later 8 version isn't athletic enough.

I agree with this assessment 100%.

Just look at the basketball IQ showing here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvJywRV9P0w

Jordan was the best ever at getting the defender off balance and getting himself better looks at the basket. Of course being able to hit contested fadeaway's over double teams while being face guarded helps too, lol.

In Jordan's prime nobody in NBA history would be able to contain him to the perimeter 1 on 1. That's a fact.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    he was stopping 6'9" magic johnson in the post in 91 finals without help most of the time.
    thats false..that was Pippen

Gots Ta Be Li Showtam! The Magic Man's Avatar

I think Kobe trying to defend Pippen in the post illustrates what you are saying.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnD67NnYir8
    I'm at work and Youtube is a blocked site. How about posting clips of Kobe blocking Pippen's shots or going around him and scoring at will? Surely you remember.

As I told Zen, don't argue with the fanatics. They will constantly say it was MJ. Watch...

younggrease, gotta call you out on that one. Jordan was locking down Magic until Jordan got in foul trouble for being over-aggressive.

The myth that Pippen locked down Magic has grown like a bad rumor. Pippen played great defense on Magic for one game, in the next game Magic was chewing him up so Phil moved Jordan back onto Magic. The only reason Pippen started defending Magic was because Jordan was in foul trouble. Anyone who watched the entire series knows this man.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    As I told Zen, don't argue with the fanatics. They will constantly say it was MJ. Watch...
    Oh, so you don't think Jordan would dominate Kobe 1 on 1, fair enough, I think you're nuts.

Custom User Title

What about King James? ha

Oh, so you don't think Jordan would dominate Kobe 1 on 1, fair enough, I think you're nuts.
    Lol, you got that from me saying don't argue with people saying MJ guarded Magic and not Pip? Told you guys. Fanatics, lol.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I agree with this assessment 100%.

Just look at the basketball IQ showing here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvJywRV9P0w

Jordan was the best ever at getting the defender off balance and getting himself better looks at the basket. Of course being able to hit contested fadeaway's over double teams while being face guarded helps too, lol.

In Jordan's prime nobody in NBA history would be able to contain him to the perimeter 1 on 1. That's a fact.
    Fact is.... Kobe wouldn't be patient enough on defense, he'd gamble too much.

MJ is also a much more physical player, even in his young days.

People have this misconception that MJ only started posting up when he got old and couldn't jump. But we both know that MJ was posting up since his college days. MJ could always hit the turnaround and post up bigger players. He just developed the turnaround even more, but he could still do it effectively.

MJ wins hands down

And I always laugh at the extreme confidence that he says it in, as if it'll be a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    Lol, you got that from me saying don't argue with people saying MJ guarded Magic and not Pip? Told you guys. Fanatics, lol.
    Hmmm, don't see Kobe containing this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCRre3nX88g

If you think Jordan would lose a 1 on 1 game to Kobe, prime vs prime, you are:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51WIykNTUV0