Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Ring Magazine Fighter of the Decade

I always find it hard to believe how light these guys are when fighting. I know about cutting weight and so on, but they don't look that small. They'd make me look fat though, which seems impossible. lol

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    I always find it hard to believe how light these guys are when fighting. I know about cutting weight and so on, but they don't look that small. They'd make me look fat though, which seems impossible. lol
    Boxers on the elite level will do intensive training for 3-4 months for one fight. Anyone who has ever tried to box or gone to a tough man contest... The average Joe who is in good shape and does a regular workout routine last about a minute before they are ready to fall over.

Boxing is absolutely grueling and you have to be in tip-top shape to go 10-12 rounds against the best competition.

Also, keep in mind that these guys will sometimes dehydrate to make weight and then, before the fight, rehydrate. You might see a guy that is fighting at welterweight (147) come into a fight weighing 160.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Boxers on the elite level will do intensive training for 3-4 months for one fight. Anyone who has ever tried to box or gone to a tough man contest... The average joe that does a regular workout routine last about a minute before they are ready to fall over.

Boxing is absolutely grueling and you have to be in tip-top shape to go 10-12 rounds against the best competition.

Also, keep in mind that these guys will sometimes dehydrate to make weight and then, before the fight, rehydrate. You might see a guy that is fighting at welterweight (147) come into a fight weighing 160.
    Good point about them regaining weight before a fight. It's just hard to get a perspective of how big they are from watching them on tv. I'm 6'/170 and they look way bigger than me. I work out too, but I guess they're super ripped like you said. They train like a mofo.

I forget that Mayweather is only 5'8" too.

When I boxed my weight was at Jr Lightweight. Nowhere close to my normal walkin weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    When I boxed my weight was at Jr Lightweight. Nowhere close to my normal walkin weight.
    Damn, GOBB.... 130? Really?

Yeah 130 was my lightest.

NBA rookie of the year

Top 10 greatest Boxers in the 1990's.

1. Roy Jones Jr.
    2. Pernell Whitaker
    3. Evander Holyfield
    4. Oscar Dela Hoya
    5. Lennox Lewis
    6. Felix Trinidad
    7. Bernard Hopkins
    8. James Toney
    9. Hector Camacho Sr.
    10. Naseem Hamed
    No way. Hamed came around in the late 90s and he was all hype at that. Only credible win was against that Martin Lawrence looking dude (forgot his name). I'd take Quartey and Manfredy over him.
    Last edited by Tarik One; 05-16-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Winky Wright, Sugar Ray Leonard & Lennox Lewis- ( 3 All Time Greats)

Favorite Current Boxer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPf0L...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    No way. Hamed came around in the late 90s and he was all hype at that. Only credible win was against that Martin Lawrence looking dude (forgot his name). I'd take Quartey and Manfredy over him.
    I used to train with Manfredy's trainer(John Taylor) at the Gary P.A.L. when I was 12-13. I would get to see Manfredy train daily. His trainer is brilliant and gets kids off the streets by training for free in a rough neighborhood. Always cool to Manfredy's name mentioned still.
    Last edited by Undisputed; 05-17-2009 at 01:18 AM.

I didn't even look at this particular list that he posted. I don't want to hate on you too bad, LB23, because you are still learning the game, but I have to make a few notes...

First, there are two GLARING omissions from your list. Julio Cesar Chavez isn't just one of the best fighters of the 1990s, he is one of the best fighters in the history of boxing Top 30, pound-for-pound. He has a legitimate argument over Whitaker and Jones Jr. for the top spot, in fact.

Until 1993, he was f#cking 87-0. Then, he had a draw against a prime Whitaker (which was a horrible hose-job, Whittaker won the fight). In 1996, when he entered his fight with Oscar DeLaHoya, he was 100-2-2.... and that was against the best featherweights, lightweights, and welterweights in the sport.

Btw, a little unrelated information on JCC... He actually fought Roger Mayweather (Floyd's trainer/entertainer). JCC knocked him out in the second round. And, Roger was actually a pretty damned good fighter. He retired with a great record (59-13) and fought a lot of great fighters. He gave Pernell Whitaker some problems, actually, when they fought in the mid-90s. Whitaker won by semi-narrow UD.

Anyway... Back to the list...

The other big omission Ricardo Lopez. He should be in the Top 5, for sure. Do you know anything about Lopez? If not, I suggest checking out some of his fights. He was a little guy (strawweight - 108), but he was absolutely dominant and a great, great fighter.

Moving on... Hamed being mentioned immediately kills any integrity that it may have had. The guy fought no one. His best win was over an old Kevin Kelly, which is like a fighter today's best win being over Mickey Ward. Then, when he actually did step into the ring with a real elite in Barrera, he was publicly humiliated, embarrassed, and mocked throughout the fight. Then, he took a fight in Britain over a tomato can and promptly retired.

He knew he wasn't an elite fighter... and so did everyone else who saw that massacre.

Adding him is like putting Hector Camacho Jr. on the list.

Hell.. Hector Camacho Sr. doesn't even belong on that list.

My list... Please note that this is only on what the fighters did in the 1990s, not the 2000s.

1. Roy Jones Jr.
    2. Pernell Whitaker
    3. Julio Cesar Chavez
    4. Ricardo Lopez

(then, a rather sizable gap)

5. Evander Holyfield
    6. James Toney
    7. Lennox Lewis
    8. Shane Mosley
    9. Felix Trinidad
    10. Bernard Hopkins

Outside looking in... DLH, Riddick Bowe, Terry Norris, Orlando Canizales, MAB, Kostya Tszyu, PBF, and others...
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-17-2009 at 04:07 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

6. James Toney
    I wish Toney had remained in the lighter divisions despite the fact that he lost the RJJ. I understand that he moved up to the heavyweights because that's where the money is, but he was amazing when he was younger and smaller. I remember when he slaughtered that punk ass Michael Nunn. If given the chance he would have beaten Hopkins.

Paul Williams kinda reminds be of young Toney with his head movement and punch angles.

I used to train with Manfredy's trainer(John Taylor) at the Gary P.A.L. when I was 12-13. I would get to see Manfredy train daily. His trainer is brilliant and gets kids off the streets by training for free in a rough neighborhood. Always cool to Manfredy's name mentioned still.
    Manfredy was damn good but he burned out too fast. I saw him get knocked out by an unknown at the Hammond Civic Center a few years back.
    Last edited by Tarik One; 05-17-2009 at 01:57 PM.

I wish Toney had remained in the lighter divisions despite the fact that he lost the RJJ. I understand that he moved up to the heavyweights because that's where the money is, but he was amazing when he was younger and smaller. I remember when he slaughtered that punk ass Michael Nunn. If given the chance he would have beaten Hopkins.

Paul Williams kinda reminds be of young Toney with his head movement and punch angles.
    A lot of people forget.... Toney was the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world for a few year span in the 90s. Toney was also the favorite against Roy Jones Jr. and he was 44-0 going into that fight.

Toney was an absolute beast at middleweight and super-middleweight. He actually uses a variation of the Philly Shell technique... Same as Floyd Jr.

Bad decision.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Bad decision.
    it was and still is, we're talking about 2000-2009

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Whenever I see JCC old fights I just can't help think he had a granite chin. Dude looks like he absorbs every hard punch to the face like it's nothing.