Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Draft

Quote Originally Posted by SixersFan76
    There is nothing wrong with hoping that one of the 4 you mention drops, but I doubt it would be anyone but Jennings, and even he seems to be a long shot. However, stranger things have happened I suppose.
    I'd be surprised most if it was Jennings honestly, but like I said I'd be amazed if any of those 4 make it out of the top 15.

Dunking on everybody in the park donsanchez306's Avatar

you guys are on post quality fire with this thread. thanks for the insight........i on the otherhand couldn't be colder. breaking down the top 16 picks is genius from a their is this many pgs and this many teams. i feel better about this draft now.....we may get a dropper .....we may lose maynor early in this draft.....WOW. I can't wait until thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    The more I look at it the more I see the possibility of 1 of those top PG's being there at 17. Flynn, Curry, Holiday, or Jennings.
    With the math you did , it's certainly a possibility one of them falls. But I agree with the above opinions, it's still a very, very slim possibility.

Just to play along, if I was forced to bet on who of those 4 would fall at #17, it would be Jennings. I agree with SF76 there. A month ago I would have said Holiday or even Flynn, but the perceived value of both of those guys has skyrocketed through this month.

Although I'm unsure Jennings would develop fast enough, we can always hope he is available there.

Funny how at the beginning of this thread Jrue was a very likely candidate to be at #17 and we developed a discussion on whether he should be taken or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ppierce34
    I agree. Bottom line is teams will have trouble passing on the talent. I can't see teams passing on Flynn, Lawson, Curry, or Jennings before 17. Those are guys with too much talent to maybe reach for another position of need or roll the dice on a more raw prospect.
    I do think there's a strong possibility Lawson is available at #17. His value has practically switched places with Holiday's in this month.

I rule the local playground

I've seen Lawson as high as 7 in some mocks. It really comes down to this being a wierd draft in that there's not a whole lot of stand out prospects so it seems people are having trouble placing guys. Still like I said before, I don't see any of the 4 I listed falling out of the top 15, too much talent for teams to pass on and if one does seem to fall, you could see a team trade up and snag that guy before he gets to 17.

I usually hit open layups

If he goes 7, maybe Holiday or Jennings drops. I think he should be around at 17 though. His height and injury history are still enough of a concern to teams where it would be shocking if he went top 10. This is just a terrible draft. Everyone except Griffin is such a project.

One guy who could drop is Gerald Henderson. I still can't figure out how it is that he's rated in the top 25, let alone top 15, but many seem to think he's going in the lottery. He's basically an undersized SG who can't shoot. How is he all that different from Jones, another Dukie who went higher than he should have? I guess I'm just not seeing something the scouts see. I thought he was very similar to Ellington, and Ellington is now projected as a second rounder.

One kid I really like by the way is Sergio Llull. In 2 to 3 years, I can see him being the next Jose Calderon. He's already a nice pick and roll PG, and as he gets stronger and works on consistency of his jumper, I can see him being that type of player in the NBA. Someone is going to take this kid in the second round and have a steal on their hands in a few seasons. And he's playing for Real Madrid, one of the European powerhouse teams, in a good league, and getting solid minutes, so he should have ample room and opportunity to develop. Would love it if we got our hands on a second rounder and drafted this kid. Him and Green are big time second round wishes for me.

I wasn't saying I expected it. More that there's a 20-25% chance. Which is enough to say that maybe Maynor/Lawson/Teague aren't our only possibilities. And yeah Jennings is the one I think could drop of the 4.

Who does everyone want at 17? Realistically - don't say Griffin or Evans, since we're not getting them at 17.

I'm not sure I'd want a guy like Holiday or Jennings - they are a couple of years away. Holiday reminds me a bit of Antonio Daniels. Jennings can be a scoring PG, but he can also end up a bust.

I hope they take the best player available, regardless of position - unless it's a pure small forward - we don't need to add any more of those.

By the way, the one thing that scares me to death about Lawson is his size. Yes, height can be overrated at times, but it's not just that Lawson is short - 6 feet in shoes, it's that he is also small. Some short guys have good wingspans. Not Lawson - he has a wingspan of a guy who is 6-1. Some are long, with a good standing reach - not Lawson, he had the shortest standing reach in the draft. He also lacks the explosive athleticism of a guy like Flynn, who boasted a 40 inch vertical. He is strong and he's quick, but a guy who can only go 100 mph to compensate for his other short comings is not a starter in the NBA, he's a change of pace back up PG.

Who does everyone want at 17? Realistically - don't say Griffin or Evans, since we're not getting them at 17.
    Jonny Flynn, Steph Curry is who I want.
    Two guys I wouldnt mind is Jennings or Teague.

Thats it. These guys are off the board I hope Eric Maynor is there.

After that its whatever just no Center named BJ Mullens. I've been high on Flynn for so long I often feel like a gr0upie until I realize Posterize has been on Flynn longer so I feel much better. :)

Sadly, Curry and Flynn are locks for the lottery at this point. Curry won't last past 7. Flynn has impressed so many people in workouts, that if he starts to drop, someone will trade up for him. He is going to be a good NBA player.

I'm with you. I think I would rather take a gamble on an upside guy like Jennings or Teague, presuming they are available at 17, rather than go for Lawson or Maynor. I'm guessing Jennings goes by 14 or 15. Teague should be there though, so I'd go for him.

As far as Lawson and Maynor go, I suppose I'd rather take a flier on Maynor than Lawson, just because Lawson is so small.

Teague I like if Lou isn't around. Trying to convert two 6'1" guys into PG's doesn't reall excite me. Have to have one or the other. Jay Bilas just said Maynor is capable of starting for NBA teams next season, take it how you wish.

The thing why I take Teague even with Lou Williams? Talent, upside and a valuable asset that someone else might view as such. To me that would be a BPA type selection.

I've loved Teague and I thought he was going to be a lottery pick, and was viewed as one by most after that game vs. UNC. But if we take him I think we use Lou as a trading chip. No need for both of them.

edit: Teague would eventually draw some fans back to the building.
    Last edited by Posterize246; 06-23-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Teams like Indiana and Dallas have draft parties at their stadiums every year. We don't have anything like that do we?

I saw that we had one in 2007 but that's it.

Might have a draft party for season ticket holders. I'll text msg my friend. 1 sec