Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    Cali Love

Default Re: Is Oscar Robertson the most overrated player in NBA history?!

@this moron

Truth=10 time all-star Duranthebest's Avatar

Who here saw Oscar Robertson play?

High School Varsity 6th Man

My best friend in high school played basketball and I went to his games so when they played against Oscar my friend got to guard him. It was like a man against a pre schooler. So I saw him in high school and followed him for years a cinn and in the pro's.

I have always said that Big O was the best all around player I ever saw, and I saw every game the Larry Bird played when he was in college in my home town of Terre haute.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    So I guess we should take Kobe off the top 10 since he played with Shaq?

And take away almost every player today's accomplishments, since they played in an era that was adjusted for stat padding, right?

Also.... we should take into consideration that some players didn't play with the 3pointer.

I find it comical how these morons tear down other era's, because of pace, yet they go leaps and bounds to defend the era that made offense easier than ever....

Kobe Bryant has avg 19 FGA for his career Robertson 18 FGA...Kobe 25.3 PPG, Robertson 25.7 PPG(How is Kobe avg more shots at a slower Pace????)

Also laughing at people talking about his 1 triple double season, yet they ignore, that this mf'er avg'd a triple-double over his first 5 seasons..yup 400+ games, averaging 30.3 points, 10.4 rebounds and 10.6 assists.

Overrated my ass...underrated by young morons.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis

I find it comical how these morons tear down other era's, because of pace, yet they go leaps and bounds to defend the era that made offense easier than ever....

Kobe Bryant has avg 19 FGA for his career Robertson 18 FGA...Kobe 25.3 PPG, Robertson 25.7 PPG(How is Kobe avg more shots at a slower Pace????)

Also laughing at people talking about his 1 triple double season, yet they ignore, that this mf'er avg'd a triple-double over his first 5 seasons..yup 400+ games, averaging 30.3 points, 10.4 rebounds and 10.6 assists.

Overrated my ass...underrated by young morons.

Excellent post. I mentioned previously, but Oscar's HIGHEST FGA season was at 22.9 FGA per game. Kobe, AI, and MJ had seasons of 27-28 in about 40 mpg. And Baylor and Barry had similar seasons IN the Oscar-era (not to mention Chamberlain, who could get his shot against any defense at any time.) Does anyone honestly believe that a 6-5 (6-6 in shoes), 225 lb. PG would not be capable of 27 FGAs (or more) had he been so inclined? Not only that, but Oscar was outshooting the league averaged by HUGE margins (in '63 he shot .518 to a league average of .441.) So I have no doubt that a prime Oscar would be easily scoring 30+ in THIS era.

And, as I also pointed out...assists were MUCH more difficult to come by in Oscar's era. Despite the supposed higher "pace" of play, teams in Robertson's era averaged LESS apg, than those of even LAST season. So, if Oscar could get 11.5 apg in seasons back in HIS era, the assumption has to be that he would be doing even BETTER in THIS era. I see no reason why Oscar couldn't score 30+ ppg on 26 or so FGAs per game, and STILL get 10+ apg at the same time.

The only area in which Oscar might not reach double-digits, would be in rebounding. In his best season, at 12.5 rpg, it would have been at around 9 rpg in the current NBA.

30-8-10 on .525 shooting (and .850 FT shooting) would be attainable...especially in today's "perimeter oriented" league.

In any case, here was Oscar, averaging a TRIPLE-DOUBLE for FIVE consecutive seasons, and yet no one else, other than Magic in '82 (just a few assists and rebounds away), has come remotely close to duplicating it for ONE season.

BTW, it would interesting to find out how many 40-10-10 games Oscar had in his career, much less 30-10-10. I suspect that there were more than handful.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: Is Oscar Robertson the most overrated player in NBA history?!

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
    Why didn't Oscar win a single title before Kareem?
    Why did he only have 1 winning record?

damb a5s

atleast NBA rules were against 6'5" oscar from winning it all without Big Man.

stupid fakk, ever thought why Kobe failed to win single title without big man on his side with all the rules favoring him & are perimeter friendly?

or

How did kobe managed to loose 2004 & 2008 NBA finals with dominant big man on his side with all the rules favoring Kobe?

grow up kobe'tard.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Of course, when Oscar joined the Bucks, he took a 56-26 team that had been blown out by the Knicks in the playoffs in '70, to a 66-16 record, and then a dominating title. After that he was a major reason why Milwaukee went 63-19, 60-22, and then 59-23 (and another trip to the Finals.) What happened AFTER he retired? The Bucks plummetted to a 38-44 record, and then traded Kareem off to the Lakers, where he routinely led loaded rosters to early playoff exits...in the weakest five seasons in NBA history ('75 thru '79.)
    56-26 is a pretty damn good team for a player to join. Of course, Kareem and Bob Dandridge were rookies on the 56-26 team as well, so the team was likely going to improve regardless.

And again you ignore that Kareem went from missing just 1 game on the '74 team to 17 on the '75 team. What happened in those 17 games without Kareem? Milwaukee went 3-14. And once again, you forget about Lucius Allen. A 18/4/5/50 FG% player on the the '74 team in 72 games, but he only played 10 games in 1975.

And yeah...Kareem's Lakers sure were loaded in the 70's.

The '75 Lakers went 30-52 before acquiring Kareem, the '78 Lakers were 8-12 without him(8-13 counting a game he left early). Yeah, those sure are loaded teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Excellent post. I mentioned previously, but Oscar's HIGHEST FGA season was at 22.9 FGA per game. Kobe, AI, and MJ had seasons of 27-28 in about 40 mpg. And Baylor and Barry had similar seasons IN the Oscar-era (not to mention Chamberlain, who could get his shot against any defense at any time.) Does anyone honestly believe that a 6-5 (6-6 in shoes), 225 lb. PG would not be capable of 27 FGAs (or more) had he been so inclined? Not only that, but Oscar was outshooting the league averaged by HUGE margins (in '63 he shot .518 to a league average of .441.) So I have no doubt that a prime Oscar would be easily scoring 30+ in THIS era.

And, as I also pointed out...assists were MUCH more difficult to come by in Oscar's era. Despite the supposed higher "pace" of play, teams in Robertson's era averaged LESS apg, than those of even LAST season. So, if Oscar could get 11.5 apg in seasons back in HIS era, the assumption has to be that he would be doing even BETTER in THIS era. I see no reason why Oscar couldn't score 30+ ppg on 26 or so FGAs per game, and STILL get 10+ apg at the same time.

The only area in which Oscar might not reach double-digits, would be in rebounding. In his best season, at 12.5 rpg, it would have been at around 9 rpg in the current NBA.

30-8-10 on .525 shooting (and .850 FT shooting) would be attainable...especially in today's "perimeter oriented" league.

In any case, here was Oscar, averaging a TRIPLE-DOUBLE for FIVE consecutive seasons, and yet no one else, other than Magic in '82 (just a few assists and rebounds away), has come remotely close to duplicating it for ONE season.

BTW, it would interesting to find out how many 40-10-10 games Oscar had in his career, much less 30-10-10. I suspect that there were more than handful.
    30-8-10, 53 FG% in today's game?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=1423