Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Default Re: Jordan's statistics vs. #1 ranked defenses in playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    I remember this thread! Hahaha! It was at the height of Kobe vs MJ.

MJ was getting really overrated in terms of the legend. Granted, he is still a beast that we still haven't really seen since in terms of the scoring output and the combination of athleticism and skillset, but still he had a couple of bad series. Not a lot tho.

But ppl were saying back then that Kobe faced better defense and that's the reason why his FG% was so low. MJ would be the same way. MJ fans were like, "Ptttttttttf." So, this happen. MJ did had better numbers against top defense tho with the 86 Celts, the Cavs and Pistons. But the Celts were the number 1 at the time. So, instead of using that entirely, they used the DTrg.

Although I think ppl still fail to really see that you shouldn't compare them across eras. Ppl do it anyway, and even me. But the style of the game changed and the rules. Like MJ has a better DTrg in 1998 than he did in 88. That doesn't mean he is a better defender, and etc and etc. There's a lot of details that got lost without looking at the whole picture. And ppl use some advance stats wrong.

But ppl kind'a turn the opposite when it comes to LeBron now. It's like the reverse of the criticism.

It's a forever cycle. After LeBron, there's going to be someone else. And ppl are going to criticize this era.
    What would you consider a bad series by MJ?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    What would you consider a bad series by MJ?
    Well, I don't think that those series even with the Knicks, Heat, and Sonics were "bad" in a way that other ppl think it is. Like sure if you look at the stats, for sure. But MJ was always aggressive and played good defense too.

But by that time, I felt like he mastered getting himself and his teammates involved.

To me from what I watched, it was the Pistons in 89. Both in 88 and 89, the Pistons were double team or triple team him whenever he had the ball. They would prevent him driving and knock him on the floor whenever he did.

But to me, the reason why it was bad because I select 89, because it was hardest imo he had to work in order to get his teammates involved and play great himself. He couldn't find that balance. Not that it mattered because his teammates sucked at the time, and couldn't bury an open shot. Like he could score 46 pts, and barely win against them. He did 8 shot attempts in a way to get his teammates involved in game 5, but he obviously had to do more than that.

Ppl were talking about how he was an expensive decoy in game 5 at the time.

No wonder it was suggested that the Bulls turned Jordan into a $2.5-million-a-year decoy.

“That’s a pretty crass thing to say,” Jordan’s coach, Doug Collins, snapped back. “That’s a pretty big shot to take at us.

“Michael scores 46 points, and people say he’s not sharing enough of the offense. Now he takes eight shots and you tell him he’s the highest-priced decoy in the game.

He made a conscious effort, he said, to involve his teammates in the offense, what with the Pistons putting everybody but their trainer on him when he touched the ball.

“Why should I take the shots if they’re double-teaming me, triple-teaming me, sometimes even putting four guys on me?” Jordan asked. “Didn’t we still get good shots?”

Yes, Michael.

“Well, did we hit ‘em?”

No, Michael.

“That’s the whole story,” Jordan said. “We gotta hit ‘em.”
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...414-story.html

But in general, he hardly have any bad series. Maybe bad series by his standards going by the Knicks, Heat, and Sonics. But those Pistons series was a big one. You might argue it wasn't bad in the stat sheet, but his impact was shut down. More so than the Knicks, Heat, and Sonics. Dude was averaging 40 ppg before facing them, nearly all three times before 91. And this is MJ at his peak/prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku View Post
    Well, I don't think that those series even with the Knicks, Heat, and Sonics were "bad" in a way that other ppl think it is. Like sure if you look at the stats, for sure. But MJ was always aggressive and played good defense too.

But by that time, I felt like he mastered getting himself and his teammates involved.

To me from what I watched, it was the Pistons in 89. Both in 88 and 89, the Pistons were double team or triple team him whenever he had the ball. They would prevent him driving and knock him on the floor whenever he did.

But to me, the reason why it was bad because I select 89, because it was hardest imo he had to work in order to get his teammates involved and play great himself. He couldn't find that balance. Not that it mattered because his teammates sucked at the time, and couldn't bury an open shot. Like he could score 46 pts, and barely win against them. He did 8 shot attempts in a way to get his teammates involved in game 5, but he obviously had to do more than that.

Ppl were talking about how he was an expensive decoy in game 5 at the time.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...414-story.html

But in general, he hardly have any bad series. Maybe bad series by his standards going by the Knicks, Heat, and Sonics. But those Pistons series was a big one. You might argue it wasn't bad in the stat sheet, but his impact was shut down. More so than the Knicks, Heat, and Sonics. Dude was averaging 40 ppg before facing them, nearly all three times before 91. And this is MJ at his peak/prime.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. The only series where I've seen MJ unable to impose his will is 1989 against the Pistons (never watched the 1988 series I think). Pistons were throwing the kitchen sink at him and they simply wouldn't let one guy beat them.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by catch24 View Post
    Him and roundball rock need to come out of the closet already...LOL

just saying..
    Much like Fatal9 then, his agenda has always been apparent

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. The only series where I've seen MJ unable to impose his will is 1989 against the Pistons (never watched the 1988 series I think). Pistons were throwing the kitchen sink at him and they simply wouldn't let one guy beat them.
    Which however you think about it. Is really really impressive to be that imposing in the playoffs. I don't think anyone was that consistent as an indivual performer.

OP is a liar

Jordan averaged 44/6/6 against the 86' Celtics' #1 defense

And 40/6/8; against the Cavs #1 defense in 89'

Btw, the 96' Sonics had the #2 defense, not #1

Also, OP lists Jordan's worst series, which are much better than lebron's worst.. Jordan never averaged 17 ppg like lebron, or 22 on 35% (07' Finals), or 25 on 35% (08' ecsf) or 22 ppg (14' ECF)

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    OP is a liar

Jordan averaged 44/6/6 against the 86' Celtics' #1 defense

And 40/6/8; against the Cavs #1 defense in 89'

Btw, the 96' Sonics had the #2 defense, not #1

Also, OP lists Jordan's worst series, which are much better than lebron's worst.. Jordan never averaged 17 ppg like lebron, or 22 on 35% (07' Finals), or 25 on 35% (08' ecsf) or 22 ppg (14' ECF)
    He clearly states in the OP that he's only referring to the Bulls championship winning years when they faced number 1 defenses in the postseason.

That's why there's no Celtics, Cavs etc..etc.. listed.