Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    owwwww

Default Jordan's statistics vs. #1 ranked defenses in playoffs

Lets look at his performance vs. #1 ranked defenses over the championship years:

'93 Knicks:
    32.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 7 apg, 40.0 FG%

Now I know you are thinking these stats are helped by his only good game in the series (check out the performance! legendary stuff!!), so excluding that game he actually averaged 27.8 ppg on 35.2 FG%!! Pippen saved the day with his consistent and clutch play during this series though.

'96 Sonics:
    27.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.2 apg, 41.1 FG%

'97 Heat:
    30.2 ppg, 8 rpg, 2.6 apg, 38.6 FG%

Could you imagine what his finals statistics would be if he went up against the #1 defense each time? The Sonics series, the only #1 team he'd ever face in the finals, turned into a statistical disaster for him.

Just something to consider when folks bring in the finals statlines of other players to dismiss them. What's the reason for this post? Just to remind people Jordan was human. I am amazed by how overrated the greatest player ever has become, didn't even think that was possible. The Jordan adoration on this board is misleading people, and despite being a big fan of his, it's getting to be a bit annoying for me lately.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

Default Re: Jordan's statistics vs. #1 ranked defenses in playoffs

Excellent post. Jordan may be the GOAT but he's still human. He's NOT head and shoulders above today's "Big 3" like nostalgic fans like to think.

National High School Star

Solid post.

Learning to shoot layups

I'm waiting for a groupie to do a copy and paste.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Lets look at his performance vs. #1 ranked defenses over the championship years:

'93 Knicks:

Now I know you are thinking these stats are helped by his only good game in the series (check out the performance! legendary stuff!!), so excluding that game he actually averaged 27.8 ppg on 35.2 FG%!! Pippen saved the day with his consistent and clutch play during this series though.

'96 Sonics:

'97 Heat:

Could you imagine what his finals statistics would be if he went up against the #1 defense each time? The Sonics series, the only #1 team he'd ever face in the finals, turned into a statistical disaster for him.

Just something to consider when folks bring in the finals statlines of other players to dismiss them. What's the reason for this post? Just to remind people Jordan was human. I am amazed by how overrated the greatest player ever has become, didn't even think that was possible. The Jordan adoration on this board is misleading people, and despite being a big fan of his, it's getting to be a bit annoying for me lately.
    I'm only doing this cause I know you're a Kobe fan.

edit: Never mind. I just scanned a few topics on the first page and realized Kobe's probably been taking a beating so your post may be somewhat deserved. Carry on...

Kobe is the assassin KobeRules24's Avatar

great post fatal, you're doing your homework man.jordan only faced 1 great defense in the finals and pippen bailed him out vs the sonics

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by KobeRules24
    great post fatal, you're doing your homework man.jordan only faced 1 great defense in the finals and pippen bailed him out vs the sonics
    Nah, Pippen had an off series vs. the Sonics. The bailout came against arguably the toughest series during the championship years against the '93 Knicks, who actually went up 2-0 on the Bulls. Pippen was incredible all series and in the 4th quarter of the elimination game, made a series clinching three pointer, Jordan was I think 0-7 in the fourth quarter in that game too!

Very good NBA starter

'93 Knicks:

'96 Sonics:

'97 Heat:

MJ didn't face number #1 defense until 93?? What did he do in his first 8 years?? You failed to post MJ stats against the 92 knicks because in 92 he didn't have a risk injury right so you posted 93 instead good job.

Apparently the OP forgot a few things:

1. I doubt he has any idea how physical some of those games were. I doubt the top perimeter players today would be able to handle some of those games and shoot a better %.

2. I also doubt the OP has ever bothered to see who the best player was. For example, in that sonics finals, EVERYBODY shoot poorly. MJ was the best player on the court.

3. The OP didn't list all his games against top defensive teams.

Kobe is the assassin KobeRules24's Avatar

Nah, Pippen had an off series vs. the Sonics. The bailout came against arguably the toughest series during the championship years against the '93 Knicks, who actually went up 2-0 on the Bulls. Pippen was incredible all series and in the 4th quarter of the elimination game, made a series clinching three pointer, Jordan was I think 0-7 in the fourth quarter in that game too!
    didnt know that

'93 Knicks:

'96 Sonics:

'97 Heat:

vs. Boston, 1986: 44 pts/6 reb/6 ast/51% FG

Boston was the #1 defense and a top 5 team ever.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Yeah.... this definitely proves it.

Kobe is better than MJ.

Very good NBA starter

Where was pippen in 90,92,96,97,98????? oh yea shooting bad. oh god MJ had a bad series after deciding to play with a injury that keep players out for months. You know wat *** this

Learning to shoot layups

35% Jordan, Bird, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe etc... are still the craziest players on the court.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    1. I doubt he has any idea how physical some of those games were. I doubt the top perimeter players today would be able to handle some of those games and shoot a better %.
    Yup. Perimeter players today never played back when handchecking was legal, right? Kobe didn't have a 30/7/6 season with it legal, right? Or average 32/7/6/2 on 50% against the #1 defense in the league ('01 Spurs), right?

Enough of this bullsh*t argument.