Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Banned

Default Re: Prime Riddick Bowe vs. 1990's Mike Tyson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress

What also doesn't fly is talking about what the majority of fans thought. I'm not talking about fans, I'm talking about people who know boxing.

Most people who know boxing will say Tyson is one of the top fighters ever. Even then thats just an opinion since i think the supposed know-it-alls for every sport never know as much as some people want to always give them credit for since they see the same thigns as you. But whatever. Just google it and you'll see countless more opinions, even by the 'experts' praising Tyson in his prime vs his obvious fall off...

and Bowe is nowhere to be mentioned

It's not worth it to argue with Tyson ******gers. They believe he could KO Godzilla. They grew up idolizing him, so now they have a warped perception of him. They sweep away all his flaws and criticisms with various excuses and then they blow all of his positives way out of proportion until he becomes Superman. No wait, they think he'd KO Superman in the 2nd round.

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Nope... He always lacked intelligence... Inside and out of the ring. He also always lacked discipline... Inside and outside the ring. Cus let him get away with everything just short of murder.

Tyson is/always was a mental midget and that is a serious pitfall for any fighter. Boxing is about more than physical tools. It is called the sweet science for a reason.

An old Holyfield would have owned any version of Tyson. The argument that Tyson's prime spanned from 18-20 years of age is laughable at best. People refuse to accept that he fought NO ONE during his short reign at the top of the division.

It is an interesting coincidence that Tyson suddenly 'got old' when he started finally fighting guys that could match his skills in the ring.

...the most overrated athlete of all-time and it isn't even close. People just don't want to accept it.
    He didn't get old, he just stopped being trained properly. He became a celebrity. A HUGE celebrity. Seeing how he lost the good people that worked with him and surrounding himself with negative influences afterward, it ate him alive.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore sonicman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I think Tua may have beaten Lewis had he not run into Ibeabuchi first. Tua was a great, great fighter that literally had years taken off of his career in that one fight.
    You are probably the most knowledgable boxing poster on here RedBlackAttack, but there is no way Tua ever beats Lennox Lewis in a fight. Lennox had the reach and that excellent jab to keep Tua away from him, especially since Tua was what like 5'9"?
    Theres no way Tua can get inside to do some damage when he has such a height/reach disadvantage.
    Not to mention Lennox has the power in the right hand to keep him honest.

I feel that Lennox Lewis cops a lot of disrespect from the public and the boxing community. He would give just about any heavyweight in history fits. Theres noone with that combination of power, speed, height, reach and weight. About the only thing he has wrong is a suspect chin, but you can't deny that he took on everybody and cleaned out the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    Bowe knocked his ass out in their 3rd fight. Explain that.
    I said Bowe won all three fights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman
    You are probably the most knowledgable boxing poster on here RedBlackAttack, but there is no way Tua ever beats Lennox Lewis in a fight. Lennox had the reach and that excellent jab to keep Tua away from him, especially since Tua was what like 5'9"?
    Theres no way Tua can get inside to do some damage when he has such a height/reach disadvantage.

I feel that Lennox Lewis cops a lot of disrespect from the public and the boxing community. He would give just about any heavyweight in history fits. Theres noone with that combination of power, speed, height, reach and weight. About the only thing he has wrong is a suspect chin, but you can't deny that he took on everybody and cleaned out the division.

Its really stupid to me how people look to guys like him or others who might follow somethign closer for opinions on things when their just opinions. Most of the time they are just as wrong as anyone. People do that **** here constantly. Think of NBA. Charles, Kenny, and Ernie. They can probably recite a lot of remote ****, or talk about offensive sets vs defense, etc. but they are just as wrong as everyone else with their opinions. They see the same exact things you do, and oftentimes they are way more bias than you are towards what they watch if they are a diehard purist towards the sport. People just over credit others way too much all in all.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman

I would have likely favored Lewis in a bout with Tua, even pre-Ibeabuchi. But, there is no doubt that Tua was a different fighter when he stepped in the ring with Lewis compared with the guy that fought Ike. He was WAY over-weight and out-of-shape against Lennox and he fought with very little emotion/passion.

I hold Lewis in very high regard. Skill-wise, he is one of the great heavyweights of all-time. Combine that with his massive size and you have something really special. However, his Achilles heel was always his chin and the David Tua that fought Ike only needed one crack at your jaw to end matters. Like I said... I would still favor Lewis, but there was always a chance that Tua could catch Lewis with something hard and that would be that.

Ibeabuchi had all of the physical tools to beat Lewis. He could match his size and strength, but had a granite chin and never wore down. That is a fight that I would have loved to have seen.

Bowe beat Holyfield twice. Tyson lost to holyfield twice. Bowe struggled against Golota while Tyson quickly dispatched Golota.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack View Post
    No doubt...

"Cus died and he was never the same."
    "He went to prison and it messed up his head."
    "He didn't train hard and he was partying."
    "He didn't take his medication."
    "He did take his medication."

Blah, blah, blah, blah...

The excuses are never ending.

Here is the truth, for those that want to accept it.

Mike Tyson was a fighter who showed a lot of promise, but never fulfilled his expectations (or even came close). People loved him because he was a great power puncher that was exciting to watch. He was also a mental midget who could never handle adversity and never beat another truly elite fighter of his generation.

People want to hold on to the myth of Tyson because they grew up idolizing him and they believe if they let go of that vicious image, they will be letting go of a piece of their childhood. I grew up watching and loving Mike's style, too, but at some point, you have to think rationally.

His resume is absolutely weak and he was completely dominated by two other great fighters of his generation.

If any other athlete in any other sport received the amount of excuses and free passes that Tyson does, people would laugh it off as some kind of joke. For some reason, otherwise perfectly reasonable people toss these excuses around as some kind of validation for their hero.

Tyson = Most Overrated Athlete Ever
    This is a good post.

Tyson never really beat anyone of quality. When he faced a Holyfield or Lewis, fighters not intimidated by him, he lost.

Have to believe the same would have happened vs Bowe