Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remembered as the Bigger Icon?

I say MJ just because there was more media around when he did his thing. He appealed to every race. Talked about peace etc etc. First black man to get his music played on MTV. Has been making hits since he was 6 years old

I think everybody from then on can associate Michael Jackson with either Thriller, the moonwalk, his music, his dancing, even the craziness (literally).

This is no knock on Presley he made Jailhouse Rock, All Shook Up ( my fav).
    I was part of the generation where I couldn't witness both of them in their primes. I find it hard to listen to some Elvis music if i am not in the right mood. MJ though has all types slow, fast, sad, Bad ( literally), peace etc
    Last edited by O.J A 6'4Mamba; 06-26-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Default Re: Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remember as the Bigger Icon?

MJ is a bigger icon. I mean the man even fucked elvis' daughter. What more can you ask?

Default Re: Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remember as the Bigger Icon?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    MJ is a bigger icon. I mean the man even fucked elvis' daughter. What more can you ask?

Someone said earlier that MJ had already surpassed Elvis in peoples minds when he was alive. It took a death for Elvis' career to be elevated...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    that alone makes

mj>elvis

NBA Superstar

I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis is more popular/talked about in America 50 years from now. White America can only give a crap about a black man for so long. He can never reach the iconic Ruth-like level Elvis has within parts white America.

Worldwide it will always be MJ.

Default Re: Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remembered as the Bigger Icon?

Its hard to gauge this objectively, because Elvis and MJ appealed to two completely different generations. majority of the people on this board weren't around when Elvis was in his prime so its hard for us to truly assess his impact.

I personally like MJ's music way more than Elvis's, but I don't have enough knowledge of the man himself to make a statement as to who was the bigger icon

Default Re: Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remembered as the Bigger Icon?

Jackson, simply because of his global impact was greater than Elvis. Not that Elvis wasn't huge, but Jackson is probably the most beloved and famous international superstar of all time. He tapped into fanbases of every culture, and I can't say the same of Elvis.

I think MJ due to him appealing to all different colors.

Elvis isnt getting playtime in london, or Africa, like Mike is.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

3 greatest icons in music history in my book:

1.Beatles
    2.Elvis
    3.MJ

Elvis inspired Beatles, Stones, Dylan and rock bands/artits to follow.
    Beatles inspired almost every great rock band to come after them.
    MJ was a great artist, but today artists who claimed he influenced them are all crap, like Britney Spears, Timberlake and most hip hop crap.

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Micahel Jackson hands down.

Mike has influenced EVERYONE! Black people wasn't ****ing with that music like that....But everybody(any race) ****ed with Michael Jackson. Elvis is a thief.

Good High School Starter

elvis stole songs though..and mike made his own....i think Mike is the biggest Icon ever IMO

I am Chris Wilcox

Jackson appealed to so many people world wide, where as Elvis only appealed to a much narrower base. Elvis is goint to be known for how much he influenced others, whereas MJ is going to be remembered moreso for his actual work.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    3 greatest icons in music history in my book:

1.Beatles
    2.Elvis
    3.MJ

Elvis inspired Beatles, Stones, Dylan and rock bands/artits to follow.
    Beatles inspired almost every great rock band to come after them.
    MJ was a great artist, but today artists who claimed he influenced them are all crap, like Britney Spears, Timberlake and most hip hop crap.
    Pretty sure Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters were more of an inspiration for the Stones than Elvis

And Another One Killer_Instinct's Avatar

Anything other than MJ is bs.

Michael Jackson cause he was a Global Phenomenon, and one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

Thriller is still the biggest selling album of all time.