Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remembered as the Bigger Icon?

People are not answering the question properly. It does not ask who has the broader or more populous fanbase or legacy. If that were the case, you could argue that Britney Spears is "bigger" than Elvis ever was based on global popularity and product advertisement etc.. Mike will always have a broader/more global fan base and than Elvis.

But the question is who will be remembered as the BIGGER icon.

The bigger icon was Elvis. The answer is because he basically introduced and changed the course of an entire genre of music to the world. If it was not for Elvis, the music landscape between 1950 and 2009 may look COMPLETELY different than how it looks today. I think people underestimate this.

It is a close call, depending how you look at the quesiton. But in terms of the course of history, Elvis is a greater figure than MJ.

As an overall entertaining talent, however, MJ looks down on everyone. Of course, you can bet that if Jackson had been white all along, black people would marginalize and discredit him every bit as much they do Elvis.
    Last edited by Atomic DOG; 06-26-2009 at 07:03 PM.

College superstar

Default Re: Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley Who Will Be Remembered as the Bigger Icon?

They both were losers and the most overrated things to come out of pop culture. Screw them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    They both were losers and the most overrated things to come out of pop culture. Screw them both.
    You're so cool. I wish I could be a rebel and be as cool as you.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Richie2k6
    You're so cool. I wish I could be a rebel and be as cool as you.
    Homeboy if you like a child molesting freak and a music stealing redneck then IDK what to tell you.

Aside from about 5 songs from each of these guys, who gives a crap about them. They both are the most overrated artists of all time. Hands down.
    Last edited by Norcaliblunt; 06-26-2009 at 07:36 PM.

College superstar

And what's up with all the droves of Michael Jackson fruits coming out the woodwork now that he's dead? You guys were nowhere to be found when he was alive making a freak show of himself.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    Homeboy if you like a child molesting freak and a music stealing redneck then IDK what to tell you.

Aside from about 5 songs from each of these guys, who gives a crap about them. They both are the most overrated artists of all time. Hands down.
    Those musik stealing mofos are like the biggest losers ever! I bet Elvis didn't even like black people.

Supreme LOSER, dude.

Michael Jackson of course.. He's the biggest star in the music ever..

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Michael Jackson easily. Most young kids don't know who Elvis is, but I'm sure they all know Michael.

Local High School Star Silent Mav's Avatar

Elvis' earliest inspirations were from black people so fail.
    MJ is supposedly having financial problems. Elvis' estate is still one of the most profitable over 30 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks101
    Michael Jackson easily. Most young kids don't know who Elvis is, but I'm sure they all know Michael.

Dead wrong unless you live in a box.
    Everybody knows who The king is,and his names not leBron James.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
    People are not answering the question properly. It does not ask who has the broader or more populous fanbase or legacy. If that were the case, you could argue that Britney Spears is "bigger" than Elvis ever was based on global popularity and product advertisement etc.. Mike will always have a broader/more global fan base and than Elvis.

But the question is who will be remembered as the BIGGER icon.

The bigger icon was Elvis. The answer is because he basically introduced and changed the course of an entire genre of music to the world. If it was not for Elvis, the music landscape between 1950 and 2009 may look COMPLETELY different than how it looks today. I think people underestimate this.

It is a close call, depending how you look at the quesiton. But in terms of the course of history, Elvis is a greater figure than MJ.

As an overall entertaining talent, however, MJ looks down on everyone. Of course, you can bet that if Jackson had been white all along, black people would marginalize and discredit him every bit as much they do Elvis.
    Interesting.....

I'm thinking back and to a degree you make a good point. Without him there probably isn't any Stones or Beatles. The mainstream audience aren't exposed to black music etc.etc.

But I think this is mostly because he came first, but it doesn't take away from that argument.

So I guess Elvis is a bigger icon in that regards.

But just to set sh!t straight......

1. The Beatles
    2. MJ
    3. REO Speedwagon

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Michael Jackson cause he was a Global Phenomenon, and one of the greatest entertainers of all time.
    Umm, yeah this pretty much sums up Elvis too

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete
    Umm, yeah this pretty much sums up Elvis too

You need to get out of America if you think Elvis is anywhere in the vicinity of Michael Jackson internationally.

Elvis is nowhere near Michael. Not even close.

Dunking on everybody in the park

People are not getting this.

Without Elvis, America and by consequence the developed world IS NOT WHAT IT IS TODAY.

Rock and Roll music at large, the more suggestive nature of clothing, modern day stances on sexual imagery on TV, these things that exist the way we know them today, STARTED BECAUSE OF ELVIS.

You could truly divide American culture into BE and AE, Before Elvis and After Elvis. Ask your parents (unless you're black, we know they hate him). Adolescence in AMerica was forever changed because of Elvis and we still feel the ripples today.

Without Michael Jackson, we miss out on the greatest and most talented entertainer ever, but pop music still exists, rock music still exists, culturally very little would be changed. Elvis' impact on society was spades larger than MJ's. That's just fact.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
    Elvis' impact on society was spades larger than MJ's. That's just fact.

It's either ignorance, stupidity, or good ol' racism to try to compare Elvis's worldwide appeal and impact to Michael Jackson. MJ was the most famous musician ever, and it's downright disrespectful to him to even compare him to Elvis.

No one outside of America gives a flying fu.c.k about Elvis.