Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: how much miles do you guys run

Quote Originally Posted by Junny
    Yup. Runnings for bytches. Real men don't run
    I can see the purpose of running 1-2 miles a day to drop weight, at a fast clip. but to run 8 miles like that guy quoted, that has to be eating away at your fast twitch muscles

Saw a basketball once

OMG I get this in school all the time. It's "How MANY miles do you run?" and "How MUCH wind will you have when a strong dude sticks an elbow in your solar plexus driving to the basket?"

Quote Originally Posted by Strongboy770
    OMG I get this in school all the time. It's "How MANY miles do you run?" and "How MUCH wind will you have when a strong dude sticks an elbow in your solar plexus driving to the basket?"
    Thank you for your contribution, it's absolutely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    I can see the purpose of running 1-2 miles a day to drop weight, at a fast clip. but to run 8 miles like that guy quoted, that has to be eating away at your fast twitch muscles
    I don't run 8 miles every day, usually about twice a week for not even an hour.

It's not that far at all.

What's the point even if you are going to run 2 miles or less. Your not even gonna get a work out.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I don't run 8 miles every day, usually about twice a week for not even an hour.

It's not that far at all.

What's the point even if you are going to run 2 miles or less. Your not even gonna get a work out.
    what's the point in running 8 miles? Doesn't benefit you much playing basketball

Running 8 miles will obv increase your endurance, but what use is running constant for 8 miles. Basketball is a stop and go game, with a lot of the game moving at a jogs pace. The moments you need to be explosive or sprint down one end of the court doesn't translate via running 8 miles. So if this is for streetball, why run 8 miles? This thread should be moved, it's irrelevant.

FYI running 2 miles is a great warmup/workout for many people. Running 8 miles is excessive and does not help for basketball; please see diminishing returns
    Last edited by Automajic23; 06-30-2009 at 01:54 PM.

what's the point in running 8 miles? Doesn't benefit you much playing basketball

Running 8 miles will obv increase your endurance, but what use is running constant for 8 miles. Basketball is a stop and go game, with a lot of the game moving at a jogs pace. The moments you need to be explosive or sprint down one end of the court doesn't translate via running 8 miles. So if this is for streetball, why run 8 miles? This thread should be moved, it's irrelevant.

FYI running 2 miles is a great warmup/workout for many people. Running 8 miles is excessive and does not help for basketball; please see diminishing returns
    It's only a part of. I do HIIT and strength training as well. Obviously if you only practice endurance it's not going to make you a well rounded enough athlete for basketball.

If you think running for an hour is excessive you need to man up. Being able to run for an hour straight is pretty much the minimum if you want to be a starter on a squad if you ask me. How are you going to last 35 minutes of jogging and sprinting if you can't even do one hour of low intensity exercise?
    Endurance comes for 20% out of your legs/muscles and for 80% out of your lungs/heart. Your telling me having higher capacity and more powerful lungs isn't useful playing basketball?

It's only a part of. I do HIIT and strength training as well. Obviously if you only practice endurance it's not going to make you a well rounded enough athlete for basketball.

If you think running for an hour is excessive you need to man up. Being able to run for an hour straight is pretty much the minimum if you want to be a starter on a squad if you ask me. How are you going to last 35 minutes of jogging and sprinting if you can't even do one hour of low intensity exercise?
    Endurance comes for 20% out of your legs/muscles and for 80% out of your lungs/heart. Your telling me having higher capacity and more powerful lungs isn't useful playing basketball?

It's just funny that you waste an hour of time running 8 miles, when you can accomplish the same thing doing 30 minutes of suicides/updowns/sprints, and actually improve your fast twitch muscles at a greater clip. Running for 8 miles IMO is just stupid, when you can get your cardio elsewhere.

Unless you are ill, or recovering for an injury there is no need for a low intensity work out; why bother?

Duh having a higher lung capacity helps for basketball, but with all the running you do your just taking away from your explosive ability. You can't train both fast twitch and slow twitch to the max, it's one or the other. An olympic marathon runner will be a mediocre jumper/sprinter. A sprinter will be a mediocre marathon runner. duh?

This makes me question whether or not YOU PLAY basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Junny
    Yup. Runnings for bytches. Real men don't run

Once again, what he said.

It's just funny that you waste an hour of time running 8 miles, when you can accomplish the same thing doing 30 minutes of suicides/updowns/sprints, and actually improve your fast twitch muscles at a greater clip. Running for 8 miles IMO is just stupid, when you can get your cardio elsewhere.

Unless you are ill, or recovering for an injury there is no need for a low intensity work out; why bother?

Duh having a higher lung capacity helps for basketball, but with all the running you do your just taking away from your explosive ability. You can't train both fast twitch and slow twitch to the max, it's one or the other. An olympic marathon runner will be a mediocre jumper/sprinter. A sprinter will be a mediocre marathon runner. duh?

This makes me question whether or not YOU PLAY basketball.
    I'm literally shaking my head at the olympians comparison. What kind of retarded comparison is that? Wow, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

It's funny because you desperately want to sound like you know your human biology. Went to college for that huh? A doctor perhaps? Physical therapist?
    And then you completely invalidate yourself bringing in these comparisons that make no sense at all. No, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, just shut the **** up dude.

8 miles is a very modest distance. It's nothing compared to the marathon, and running 8 miles in an hour is nothing compared to olympic running of any kind.
    It's a distance any in shape person can run right off the bat. Just because you can't run 8 miles doesn't mean that being able to is bad for basketball.

I'm a point guard at 6'3, in a league where most point guards are <6 feet and live and die by their quickness.
    And at least I am not gassed in the fourth quarter.

OK according to some website, 8 miles is roughly 13 km (use the metric system bytches). That sounds way too excessive. I would say if you wanted to be a really really REALLY fit basketball player, even 10 km (which would be about 6 miles) is excessive I think. Suicides and interval training sounds like a better idea.

A bit off topic, but say in a 10 minute quarter game, how much distance would a basketball player cover if he played the whole game? I'm pretty sure they did this study for an AFL player for a game, and the answer was something ridiculous, like 20-30 km (12-19 miles) or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongboy770
    What the hell are you talking about

I'm literally shaking my head at the olympians comparison. What kind of retarded comparison is that? Wow, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

It's funny because you desperately want to sound like you know your human biology. Went to college for that huh? A doctor perhaps? Physical therapist?
    And then you completely invalidate yourself bringing in these comparisons that make no sense at all. No, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, just shut the **** up dude.

8 miles is a very modest distance. It's nothing compared to the marathon, and running 8 miles in an hour is nothing compared to olympic running of any kind.
    It's a distance any in shape person can run right off the bat. Just because you can't run 8 miles doesn't mean that being able to is bad for basketball.

I'm a point guard at 6'3, in a league where most point guards are <6 feet and live and die by their quickness.
    And at least I am not gassed in the fourth quarter.
    Never gassed in the 2nd half, and I don't rest unless it's a scrub team and we're +20. And please gtfo with your made up stories. 6'3 pg? You don't even seem to have a simple IQ based on the fact that you're trying to throw education insults my way via the internet. Stupid IP gangter seriously. SEE YA.

Nothing more with any substance to say huh? Can't counter any of those arguments?

See ya indeed.

And if you can't take it don't dish it, *****.

Nothing more with any substance to say huh? Can't counter any of those arguments?

See ya indeed.

And if you can't take it don't dish it, *****.
    Indeed, I don't use a basketball forum to brag about my educational accomplishments. Strictly here to read basketball. Why should I waste time with an internet thug that acts out like a moron for a living? Don't you have 8 miles to run? Go on, lmaoooo

Running eight miles is not going to destroy your basketball ability.

You don't come in here talking a technical tale about "fast twitch muscles", and then compare running eight miles to the olympics.

You can twist around it like the little contortionist ****** you are, but that is what you did. And it holds no ground whatsoever.