Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Default Re: Raptors give extension to Andrea Bargnani

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Ceiling, ceiling... potential, potential...

Let's just see what Bargnani does next season. IMO his ceiling is Mehmet Okur, which is around 18PPG 7 REB.... but the truth is nobody is calling Okur's $8.5M a bargain.

I really still have no idea why they rushed into this deal. Bargnani's stock would not have risen over a $10M contract by next year.
    19 and 9 is not 10 million worthy? Really? And Okur was a shooter who thrived off of a great point. Bargnani had 1.2 BPG last year and is not close to his prime. Okur is no where near the defensive presence Bargnani could be or is and has no where near as complete a game as Bargnani. Great shooter, but he's not a better shooter then Bargnani and only shot >40% for the first time last year. Bargnani did this last season. In march playing 33 minutes a game Bargnani had 20 points, 6 boards and shot 50% from the 3 point line. Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it. And again, he's only 23. They guy has not nearly played his best ball.

He'll be worth the contract. It's gonna be a bargain if anything...

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman

Agreed

Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brwnman
    He basically got the same exact thing Tyson Chandler got and you see how difficult it is to move that contract for the Hornets.

Saw a basketball once TheAnti-Dentite's Avatar

Quite a bit of money for Bargnani, but not terrible when compared to other young bigs. It looks like Colangelo is either preparing to trade Bosh for a wing combo, or hoping Demar can create offense on his own against NBA players. 5 starters who are more valuable on the offensive end, and yet the only one I feel real comfortable with creating his own shot is Bosh... hopefully it works out.

Bargnani's a good player, approaching great, but he still has a ways to go before he reaches Bosh's level in terms of offensive productivity. Most effective pump fake in the league, but he has no other way of beating defenders off the dribble. His post game improved last year, but he still looks clumsy and disoriented when fighting for position on offense, so improving his off-ball movement and attaining post position should be a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    He basically got the same exact thing Tyson Chandler got and you see how difficult it is to move that contract for the Hornets.
    Two completely different players. Also, when Chandler was healthy the year before, he was seen as worth the contract. He was battling injuries this year. Furthermore, Bargnani is a much better offensive player and his defense is underrated here on ish...

Quote Originally Posted by Faufner
    This is a deal given based on potential value, that's it. In order to win, sometimes you have to take gambles and this is one that Colangelo believes will pay off. If Bargnani averages 20 and 7-8 this year, would he be worth this contract at 24 years old? Absolutely, possibly even more. You're telling me that if Bargnani was a free agent next year, at age 24, coming off a season of 20 and 7, that a team like the Bulls, for example, wouldn't be all over this guy?

Imagine Greg Oden when his rookie contract ends. Yeah he's struggled in his first year playing, and he won't reach his maximum potential by his fourth year (especially since he missed one full season). You're telling me it's NOT smart to try and get him locked up for 10-12 mill a season? It's all about potential value people. He has the potential to be worth more than that. And so does Bargnani.
    Heh, exactly. I'd like to see people here play the stock market. The way to make money is to buy high, right? Nearly every great team has a guy who's getting underpaid to push them over the top and this is really the only way to get one cuz once a team has a great contract they always keep it. When's the last time a team traded a bargain contract? Those are harder to get then actual superstars and hence more valuable. You can just give a star max money like Orlando did to Shard and bam, you've got him. Finding the great manu contract guy is much, much harder. Teams are built around good contracts almost as much as star players.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    With Turkoglu and AB getting big money, it looks like Bosh is on his way out of town.
    Bosh is the wrong nationality for Toronto.

They don't want American players, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    19 and 9 is not 10 million worthy? Really? And Okur was a shooter who thrived off of a great point. Bargnani had 1.2 BPG last year and is not close to his prime. Okur is no where near the defensive presence Bargnani could be or is and has no where near as complete a game as Bargnani. Great shooter, but he's not a better shooter then Bargnani and only shot >40% for the first time last year. Bargnani did this last season. In march playing 33 minutes a game Bargnani had 20 points, 6 boards and shot 50% from the 3 point line. Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it. And again, he's only 23. They guy has not nearly played his best ball.
    This whole paragraph right here tells me your really a Bargnani fan, and can't give an unbiased judgement of his talent.

"Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it." That line really made me . I mean it litterally took me 15 seconds to find this: (Link).

That just sounds like a kid... "I bet'cha he couldn't do that... he's super betterer than him."

That just sounds like a kid... "I bet'cha he couldn't do that... he's super betterer than him."

If he stays healthy (no worrying injuries so far) and improves even slightly, Bargnani is gonna be earning the money in this contract. Not worth 10mill next year, I agree with everyone who said 7 - 8.5mill. In the grand scheme of things tho, this contract will probably help the franchise out a lot.

This whole paragraph right here tells me your really a Bargnani fan, and can't give an unbiased judgement of his talent.

"Has Okur ever had a month like that? I seriously doubt it." That line really made me . I mean it litterally took me 15 seconds to find this: (Link).

Uh, well I'm not a huge fan... why can't that paragraph just be my unbias judgment? I think he's a good player who's got lots of potential that has not been scratched yet.

And menh, woe is me, I didn't look up the split for him. Its very different to play like that in your prime vs. well before it. Stating that Bargnani's ceiling is Okur when he's already able to play at Okur's level at 23 is what I'm going to call bias. Comparing a guy who can mix it up at center vs much of the league to another guy who's mostly just a shooter is pretty misguided as well.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

If he had consistency with his offense he could be a real nice player for them.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Bosh is the wrong nationality for Toronto.

They don't want American players, it seems.
    I think its smart. They've had some issues keeping American players. Antonio Davis was concerned about the educational system in Canada, which is pretty silly, but u know, some players are concerned. TO is pretty ideal for any euro ballers so why not market to people who would want to stay?

Knicks 2010 Champs

HAHAHAHA. Toronto further ruining their cap.

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    Uh, well I'm not a huge fan... why can't that paragraph just be my unbias judgment? I think he's a good player who's got lots of potential that has not been scratched yet.

And menh, woe is me, I didn't look up the split for him. Its very different to play like that in your prime vs. well before it. Stating that Bargnani's ceiling is Okur when he's already able to play at Okur's level at 23 is what I'm going to call bias. Comparing a guy who can mix it up at center vs much of the league to another guy who's mostly just a shooter is pretty misguided as well.
    Well I just think it's pretty ridiculous to base someones career off of what they could only do for 2.5 months, and disregard what they did the previous 2.5 seasons.

Yes, Bargnani has potential... but the homers adamately arguing that Bargnani is "already" worth $10M by looking at the complete body of work in his career so far is just lame.

There's a reason there is a general consensus in this thread that $8M or lower would have been a more reasonable figure.